TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

^ I think this is an issue for anyone who has attended Halloween events over and over and over.

I'll be honest, I'm jaded. Totally jaded when it comes to Halloween Events. I went to Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando the other night, and while I was impressed with what I saw and how other people responded to it, I was not "scared" by anything, not even startled, and all of the sets and props, even if I hadn't seen them in other mazes before, they all *felt* very similar to things I had seen before.

Thoughts?

I think for me personally it's been the amount of people at the events. I think that even though everything does "feel" and "look" the same, if I could get scared, or even made to jump, a few times at an event, I would keep going back over and over. For me now I go for the atmosphere. Being at an amusement park in late fall (especially those that close seasonally) with all of the Halloween decorations just sets such an awesome mood. But, the people... OH THE PEOPLE!

I remember going to the first couple Halloweekends at Cedar Point. The place was much less crowded as to where I remember the waits being minimal at best for the houses and rides. Perhaps my best memory actually came at Cedar Point when the park had essentially closed. My "entrapment cage for my goodies" was at the back of the park in which security had already closed that section. They let us walk back though after showing them our locker key. All the fog machines were still on and on our way back to Mean Streak there was not a single person in sight. I still get creeped out over the feeling of being there like everyone but us had vanished.

I think as more and more people are realizing how great these events can be, they just keep coming out and filling the park. As mazes and scare zones get to where you can't even walk because the crowds jam up I feel that is where the effectiveness wears off. I don't think there is an immediate answer for this, but for now, we'll keep going and just enjoying the parks for what they are this time of year. We usually go hit a few rides and mazes and then just walk around enjoying the place in a different atmosphere. So, could a limited number of guest help? Maybe offer certain nights with raised prices where only X amount of guests can get in?

If you're not "willing" to go along with the concept or theme of the Halloween attraction, then it becomes nothing but a bunch of 19 year olds who listen to Chvrches or Lamb Of God screaming at you. I've had a tough time buying into "it" for years, and really my interest in it just becomes wondering how complex it looks. I won't wait for any mazes.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-comcast-purchases-10-universal-city-plaza-for-about-420-million-20131002,0,6257056.story

With an eye toward consolidating its Los Angeles-area operations, Comcast Corp. has purchased 10 Universal City Plaza, the tallest office building in the San Fernando Valley, for its NBCUniversal division.

Comcast's NBCUniversal unit is the largest tenant at the property, which sold for about $420 million, according to three sources with knowledge of the matter.

The deal with seller Normandy Real Estate Partners closed Tuesday. According to real estate sources who were not authorized to comment publicly, the 35-story building in Universal City sold for about $516 per square foot. The transaction is one of the biggest commercial real estate deals in Los Angeles County this year.

The property is adjacent to the Universal Studios Hollywood theme park and the headquarters of movie studio Universal Pictures. NBCUniversal confirmed the purchase of the property, but declined to address the financial details of the transaction.

"NBCUniversal continues to explore real estate opportunities as they arise near its ongoing business operations in Universal City," the company said in a statement. "The company proceeded with purchasing 10 UCP given the current market conditions, the building is at the gateway to our property, and NBCUniversal is currently the majority tenant."

Philadelphia-based Comcast could move various NBCUniversal units to the property, which has a significant amount of vacant space. Data from real estate analytics firm CoStar Group shows that the 813,892-square-foot granite clad tower is about 71% leased, with 238,218 square feet available for rent.

PHOTOS: Biggest tech flops of 2013 – so far

Among the NBCUniversal units that could move to the tower is cable channel E!, which leases about 344,000 square feet at 5750 Wilshire Blvd. in the Miracle Mile area, according to CoStar.

A source with knowledge of E!'s lease agreement with Tishman Speyer, the landlord of 5750 Wilshire Blvd., said that the cable network can opt out of its deal in 2017.

E! did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

NBCUniversal occupies 425,418 square feet at 10 Universal City Plaza, according to CoStar, making it the biggest tenant by far at the property.

At one time, the granite-clad building was owned by Vivendi Universal, a former parent of NBCUniversal. Vivendi Universal sold the property in 2003 to Beacon Capital Partners and CarrAmerica Realty Corp. for $190 million.

Doug Marlow, a commercial real estate broker with CBRE Group who handles leasing at the property, declined to comment.

The tower was designed by architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and was built in 1984 by Getty Oil Co.

Morristown, N.J.-based Normandy, a real estate investment and management firm, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

la-et-ct-comcast-purchases-10-universal-city-p-001.jpeg.8fe3f17bf4503ebd79efd7ec3c7b49d8.jpeg

With Harry Potter coming soon, it makes sense to take more ownership of the property as a whole, especially since that buildings parking garage is used as overflow parking on busy days and HHN. Good for Universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Walking Dead was by far my favorite maze at HHN this year. I don't even watch Walking Dead, but the maze does a great job as a standalone zombie/prison maze even if you don't recognize the landmarks from the 3rd season.

^They had Walking Dead stuff all over Universal Orlando, but aside from the RV, which I remember from the commercials for the series, I had no idea what I was looking at because I don't watch the show.

Walking Dead was by far my favorite maze at HHN this year. I don't even watch Walking Dead, but the maze does a great job as a standalone zombie/prison maze even if you don't recognize the landmarks from the 3rd season.

I just got onto season 3 on netflix (I know I'm slow) but having been through the maze already, it has been pretty cool picking out what elements they liked from the series to use in the maze. I think I still liked last year's walking dead maze better, but this one was still definitely a highlight for the whole event.

^They just now noticed that Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure features "gay" jokes? Haven't they been doing such jokes both in Hollywood and in Orlando for years?

Edited by cfc