TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

Here is part of an interview posted a few pages back with Joe Rohde about working on the Avatar project.

What are you looking forward to next?

When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

All of us who are designers have an opportunity to take the work we are given and make it something unexpected. That’s how we help the company to grow and expand into new areas.

Sounds like they are going for that immersive factor to me.

As long as it feels Natural and not blue, then we got ourselves a win for Animal Kingdom. Also, does anyone really enjoy Dinoland U.S.A. at Animal Kingdom, you can obviously tell that land was rushed to be done.

^^ Well thanks for reminding me about that. I just wonder how the Imagineers would pull that off. I do hope Disney uses that dragon thing they used for Fantasyland's Expansion opening although that fire breathing effect won't happen. I wonder if that Dragon contraption is a test for a night-time show for Disney's Animal Kingdom?

That dragon was developed by WDI as a stand alone project, with no show or attraction intent. They used it at the New Fantasyland opening because it fit (kinda) with the theme (barely). The main problem is the weather in Florida is crazy sometimes and it would ground the aircraft. If the dragon was in a show, It'd probably be a pretty large focus considering how cool it is. Now take the weather into account and the dragon would be grounded A LOT, meaning an altered show or no show. Its also very loud, which is why it flew so high above New Fantasyland. And finally, it is an aircraft that requires a runway. There is just so much against it, we'll probably only see it for special events.

Back to actual stuff happening in Animal Kingdom: The new theater being built for the relocated Festival of the Lion King looks pretty substantial compared to the old one. This is only coming for the pics I've seen from different sites around the net, but it seems like its getting a better theater then the one its leaving!

^^ Well thanks for reminding me about that. I just wonder how the Imagineers would pull that off. I do hope Disney uses that dragon thing they used for Fantasyland's Expansion opening although that fire breathing effect won't happen. I wonder if that Dragon contraption is a test for a night-time show for Disney's Animal Kingdom?

That dragon was developed by WDI as a stand alone project, with no show or attraction intent. They used it at the New Fantasyland opening because it fit (kinda) with the theme (barely). The main problem is the weather in Florida is crazy sometimes and it would ground the aircraft. If the dragon was in a show, It'd probably be a pretty large focus considering how cool it is. Now take the weather into account and the dragon would be grounded A LOT, meaning an altered show or no show. Its also very loud, which is why it flew so high above New Fantasyland. And finally, it is an aircraft that requires a runway. There is just so much against it, we'll probably only see it for special events.

Back to actual stuff happening in Animal Kingdom: The new theater being built for the relocated Festival of the Lion King looks pretty substantial compared to the old one. This is only coming for the pics I've seen from different sites around the net, but it seems like its getting a better theater then the one its leaving!

Plus I'm pretty sure they will only fly it for the public during nighttime events. The large kite above the dragon would be very visible in the daytime.

Ok, Not sure which WDW Park thread to post this in, so I'll start with AK.

Last Time I visited WDW was in 2009. I will be visiting the parks on November 27-30th, and would like to know what has changed and what I can expect crowd wise. I know the Disney Junior Soccer Showcase is going on during this (huge Soccer tournament at ESPN WWoS), so will that effect crowds? Also, best places to eat? Especially Epcot, as I will spend a good amount of time there. I have no priorities or must do's yet, but that might change if my little sister comes along so I can get her on all the Mountain rides, Good Tower, and Rockn' Roller coaster; as those are what she wants to do the most. Any other info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone done the Wilderness Explorers program? I forgot it was even at AK, and I have some friends with kids who may be visiting and thought they might enjoy it. Also, any updates on Avatar Land?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/first-look-avatar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

From the moment AVATAR was released, people were captivated by the mythical world of Pandora. When we announced that we’d be working with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring this world to life in our parks, we felt certain that this partnership and combination of talent and imagination would produce an experience unlike any other ever created.

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch. At the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, we shared an early glimpse of the plans for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and I wanted to share some of these breathtaking images and a short preview of what’s to come with all of you.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of AVATAR guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

And the new AVATAR-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, we’ll be adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) and a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris.

As the world of AVATAR becomes real at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the energy and passion shared by our Imagineers and the Lightstorm team for this monumental task continues to be remarkable. I can’t wait to see the reactions of our guests as they step into a world that until now has only existed on the screen.

We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-will-transport-transform-guests/

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.

Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

image.jpg.891ae97470b7869206245b664f79f67b.jpg

image.jpg.5bfdfe1e90916eacfff3e8bfca42f949.jpg

image.jpg.b7c99235638fa8ca80e31bf78d538d73.jpg

image.jpg.b1ac8b71453cc18f3c8f9b0db6ff1a4d.jpg

image.jpg.1b9f2087be7764bf9c0c2d1c7650fe69.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

The part of the article that blew my mind was the part about the floating island. How are the Disney Imagineers going to pull this one off? Perhaps give the illusion of a floating island because if the Disney Imagineers could imagine it, then they could turn it into a reality.

Avatar was that type of ground-breaking movie that after I've seen it, I wonder how on Earth did they get this picture made. Last time I got blown away was the movie Jurassic Park and we all saw how that movie franchaised out.

In one of the illustrations, I saw what looked like a boat ride attraction. Jray21 stated in a recent post

Glad to see the river being used again.
Last time I was at the park it was 2006 and I don't remember any river attraction ( I was more concentrated on Everest that year), so I'm asking jray21 and anyone else about this River at Animal Kingdom. Regardless if it was before my visit or came after my visit and ran for a short time, then I'm glad that this "River" will be running again and not left to decay into obscurity.

If an attraction like Everest got me coming to Florida in 2006, then methinks that Avatar will cause me to drop all vacation plans and come to Florida when it is built to fruition.

Also, best places to eat? Especially Epcot, as I will spend a good amount of time there.

Thanks!

this may have gotten missed in the shuffle of Avatar land announcement

We only go every couple of years, so you might get a better answer from someone more local (or Robb/Elissa themselves). . but at Epcot, we ALWAYS make reservations at:

Marrakesh (in Morocco world showcase). An evening reservation gets you belly-dancers along w/ the great food, and if you time it correctly, you come out in time to watch Illuminations.

we also really like the Steak-house in Canada world showcase, the restaurant in the Pyramid in Mexico (all sit down/need reservations places).

or for more casual, the kraut/sausage buffet place in Germany is good, as is the downstairs French bistro in France.

hope that helps.

(in Animal Kingdom, the only place we've found that we like is "Yak & Yeti" -- always has a long wait, but the food is good (I think it's owned by Landry's restaurant chain).

this looks awesome. i didn't really like the film but if the concept art is to go by this might make the park more than a "half day park" (which it is not). when this opens will they try fixing the yeti in Everest?

My understanding is that would be a HUGE undertaking, almost as if they would have to re-build the ride. I have heard that they would have to re-engineer the yeti structure to reduce the stress on the animatronic, which of course is intertwined with the track and mountain structures already. Not saying it can't be done, I just wouldn't expect it for many years. My guess would be the next time they need a marketing gimmick after Avatar land, they could justify "transforming" the ride into something else...

In one of the illustrations, I saw what looked like a boat ride attraction. Jray21 stated in a recent post

Glad to see the river being used again.
Last time I was at the park it was 2006 and I don't remember any river attraction ( I was more concentrated on Everest that year), so I'm asking jray21 and anyone else about this River at Animal Kingdom. Regardless if it was before my visit or came after my visit and ran for a short time, then I'm glad that this "River" will be running again and not left to decay into obscurity.

Radio Disney River Cruise was the park's boat transportation that made 2 stops around Discovery Island. These ran the first couple of years of the park, I think until around 2000ish? These boats acted as a transportation shuttle between 2 areas of the park like the Friendship boats at Epcot. Problem was guests waited in extremely long lines for what many thought would be a themed river attraction. So most guests were disappointed. There were 2 loading docks, one in the front of Discovery Island and the 2nd in Asia near the Flights of Wonder Bird Show. Other than the exotic foliage of The Tree of Life and Discovery Island, there was not a lot to look at theming wise, with the exception of an animatronic dino in the water near Dino Land USA and a fire-breathing animatronic Dragon in a cave between Camp Minnie Micky and Africa.

My guess is, I don't believe the concept rendering is a revival of the River Cruise. I think this possibly could be an indoor dark boat ride in the Avatar Land. I think that would be the best controlled environment to show off the nighttime world of Pandora. Just my guess.

this looks awesome. i didn't really like the film but if the concept art is to go by this might make the park more than a "half day park" (which it is not). when this opens will they try fixing the yeti in Everest?

My understanding is that would be a HUGE undertaking, almost as if they would have to re-build the ride. I have heard that they would have to re-engineer the yeti structure to reduce the stress on the animatronic, which of course is intertwined with the track and mountain structures already. Not saying it can't be done, I just wouldn't expect it for many years. My guess would be the next time they need a marketing gimmick after Avatar land, they could justify "transforming" the ride into something else...

I agree with Joey. I can't see them taking EE down just to fix Yeti, since only a small portion of visitors even know there is something wrong from the original version.

My guess is, I don't believe the concept rendering is a revival of the River Cruise. I think this possibly could be an indoor dark boat ride in the Avatar Land. I think that would be the best controlled environment to show off the nighttime world of Pandora. Just my guess.

I believe you're right..I think the boat ride will be in Avatar Land, will be interesting to see if what type of boat ride it is.

What Joey was referring to in respect to resurrecting the river was that it would be used in the nighttime show.

I've been to this park twice before and really enjoyed it. I really loved Avatar when it was released and can't wait for the sequels. Really glad Disney is adding this so it gives fans like me of the movie a place to visit and celebrate the film. Disney is going to blow Universal's Harry Potter away when they get Star Wars land added to Hollywood Studios...Avatar is just going to be plus to that. Now all that's left is for Epcot to add something...Maybe something with Iron Man if they can wrestle the rights away from Islands of Adventure.

I believe you're right..I think the boat ride will be in Avatar Land, will be interesting to see if what type of boat ride it is.

I am also wondering if this type of water attraction and technology

will be the same that plays out on the new Castle Boat Cruise that

Shanghai Disneyland is opening with? Their PR suggest a finale of

the ride, in an indoor area (under the castle and just before the

unload stn.) with lots of special effects, light shows and such

that the boats will pass under and by.

We just might getting a preview of this Avatar attraction, through SDL.

1535726322_SDLBoatRide.jpg.5a40bc21d5f5177073e681c0d794de0b.jpg

Edit to add: concept art for the Finale of the SDL Storybook Boats cruise.

A lot of light tech there. Could be darker and more....blue for Avatar. (o:

From Screamscape a while back:

(11/9/12) A weird new rumor floated my way, offering up some interesting details about that C-Ticket Boat Ride attraction seen in the leaked Avatar plans. According to our source, this slow family ride is intended to essentially server as a crash course in PANDORA 101, a way to bring all guests up to speed on the world of Avatar, and why humans have traveled across the stars to visit.

Intended as a sort of informational family attraction, the overall tone of the ride’s theme may actually have a bit in common with one of the Edutainment rides at Epcot. In short, this of this as a Pandora version of “Living with the Land”, showing guests the various plant and animal lifeforms of this new world.

The E-Ticket attraction is supposed to be a new type of motion simulator. This is presumably represented by the artwork with the dragon-things.

I'm most interested to see how the outdoor area works out.