TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

The next chance I'd get would be tomorrow, but it's almost gone already. I generally see the park on my way from 65 to 264 but don't actually pass it. WDRB is running a story on it right now, guess it'll be up on their site shortly.

KK PR says announcement will be made in a few weeks about the new coaster.

KK PR says announcement will be made in a few weeks about the new coaster.

What can they get from $7 million? I believe most B&Ms & Intamins, even many larger Vekomas cost at least twice that much. My guess is one of the following:

S&S El Loco or next gen Free Flyer

Gerstlauer Eurofighter or Spinning Coaster

Zamperla Motorbike or spinning coaster

A newer Premier launched coaster (YOLO)

Maurer Sohne Skyloop

Intamin ZacSpin (I hope not)

Any ideas?

My guess would either a Launched Eurofighter or an S&S launch coaster, or the world's first B&M spiral lift hill with an abrupt stop 150ft in the air, followed by the most convoluted evacuation stair case ever....

Edit: Here You go.

Major Work Underway at Kentucky Kingdom

LOUISVILLE, KY (WDRB) -- The heavy construction equipment has moved into Kentucky Kingdom as work to restore the shuttered amusement park has hit high gear.

Some of the old rides will be coming down to get ready for new ones to be built.

A giant crane has been brought in to dismantle the old Greased Lightning Roller Coaster that Six Flags Amusement Company first opened at Six Flags Great America in 1978, before moving it to Kentucky Kingdom in 2003. It will take crews several weeks to tear down the old coaster piece-by-piece.

"We are taking this ride down to make way for something we will announce in a few weeks, which is our new $7 million steel coaster that will replace Greased Lightning," said John Mulcahy, the director of marketing and communications at Kentucky Kingdom.

Marcus Dorsey, a big fan of Kentucky Kingdom, didn't let the occasion pass him by without bringing his camera along to document the razing of the old coaster.

"My family used to take me to the park. I just couldn't get enough of it," Dorsey told WDRB News. "I am still interested in the park. I just wanted to see what was going on with the roller coasters and things like that."

In other parts of the park, you could find workers polishing the fiberglass on the giant ferris wheel which will be restored and repainted.

"We'll be selecting new colors and you will start to get a sense of what the new atmosphere and attitude of the park is going to be," said Mulcahy.

Last week, the wave pool in the Hurricane Water Park was filled with water for the first time in four years to make sure it did not leak. It didn't.

"We are also working on the pump system that produces the waves," explained Mulcahy. "And for the most part, it got a clean bill of health. There is some minor tinkering to be done, but for the most part, we are in good shape."

When the park reopens, it's expected to provide about 1,000 part-time summer jobs for teens. Information on how to apply for those jobs will come toward the end of the year, says Mulcahy.

"In December, we will communicate through the media and through a special program with area schools and universities, and we will start the job fair process," he said.

Right now, between 40 and 50 full-time management workers like Mulcahy himself are on the payroll with more hires to come. Developer Ed Hart and his partners have pledged to spend $ 36 million just in the first year to get the park up and running again. Opening day is still set for May 24, 2014.

Here's a poem John Mulcahy, Director of Marketing and Communications, composed for the occasion:

ODE TO THE SHUTTLE LOOP COASTER

AKA: Greezed Lightnin' -- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom 2003-2009

AKA: Viper -- Six Flags Over Georgia, 1995-2001

AKA: Tidal Wave -- Six Flags Great America, 1978-1991

There was a time, there was a place

When this ride's technology set the pace.

The simple drop of a forty-ton weight

Jerked riders forward -- from zero to 58.

A run of straight track vaulted rides into a loop;

Some became queasy, while others whooped.

Fans would come from near and far

For the thrill of riding in the front car.

The 70's and 80's were her prime;

She was a great coaster for her time.

Everything has a season; everything has a reason,

And today, when we must finally tell her so long,

We promise you this -- her spot won't be empty for long.

R.I.P

The Shuttle Loop Coaster

1978-2009

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

I understand that Greezed Lightning is in bad shape, but when I heard that the park is dismatling the coaster and not just all out demolishing it. It gives me a little hope that the ride, with some help, could be refurbished and rebuilt whether it be at Kentucky Kingdom or somewhere else.

My guess would either a Launched Eurofighter or an S&S launch coaster, or the world's first B&M spiral lift hill with an abrupt stop 150ft in the air, followed by the most convoluted evacuation stair case ever....

that would be interesting!

I didn't know that S&S launched coasters could be acquired for that low. Nevertheless, that would be an impressive addition, especially if they could add a Space Shot in the design for support. This way they could do like SFMM did with incorporating a drop tower into one of their coasters and save space, make a sweet looking ride, and possibly save money.

I know it was in bad shape, but I really hate to see Greezed Lightnin' go as that was the most interesting coaster they had left in the park line up. Frankly, they could have removed any of the other ones and it wouldn't have bothered me. Oh well, hopefully it will be something intense.

Everybody email Ed Hart to try to save Greezed Lightning.

Too late. I went through the fairgrounds about an hour ago. Blow torched track and supports is already on the back of semis.

Mr. Hart is a guy who got all types of unique things under his selves when it comes to Kentucky Kingdom...Should we be worried? Nope

Self-proclaimed welding experts - does a blowtorch cut with good precision?

I'm serious, I've never used one and I'd like to know. If they're carefully dismantling the coaster, it may be going somewhere else.

Should we call Knoebels and ask/beg them to adopt both Greezed Lightnin' and Knightmare?

I won't be able to post my photos tonight due to time, buuuuuuut:

Major Work Underway at Kentucky Kingdom

Marcus Dorsey, a big fan of Kentucky Kingdom, didn't let the occasion pass him by without bringing his camera along to document the razing of the old coaster.

Just letting you know who this was. I'll try to get my photos up by tomorrow.

They're definitely not bad rides...but far from the best either. Good forces in the loop and some fun floater air on the tower. Enthusiasts just place more sentimental value on them.

Everybody email Ed Hart to try to save Greezed Lightning.

Not even funny as a bad joke.

People need to get over that rides don't last forever. I liked the ride, too. But it's gone. Deal with it.

I would rather see a coaster like T2 to be gone, but, if the new coaster turns out to be an interesting one, I think you can all forgive them for dismantling the ride.

Anybody knows if the old Astroworld shuttle loop still exists?

^Cliff's Amusement Park bought it but they haven't started putting it in yet. Not sure about the progress on that

And let's not forget that Greezed Lightnin' was in terrible shape and there is no telling how much money they would of had to thrown at it to get it up and running. It has been a foregone conclusion for awhile that it would have to be removed once someone took over the park.

Edited by ernierocker

They're definitely not bad rides...but far from the best either. Good forces in the loop and some fun floater air on the tower. Enthusiasts just place more sentimental value on them.

Well, it was by far the best dry ride they had at Kentucky Kingdom. That's because the collection was pretty weak. Thunder Run reportedly can be very good, but it was in poor condition when I rode it.

As much as I'd love to see Greezed Lightnin' run again, mechanical things have a service life. This ride is 35 years old. It probably could be kept going for another few years, but that would be expensive and time consuming. The effort would not likely be worth it as Hart & pals need to invest their resources into modern rides that could grow their attendance.

Okay, here are some photos I have of the site yesterday. I had the day to kill, so I took the initiative that morning after work to head over to Kentucky Kingdom and take pictures of the cranes on Greezed Lightnin'. It was about 10:00am when I made it to the local bowling alley to take the first peek at the coaster, and immediately saw the cranes, but no back vertical spike on the coaster.

IMG_1053.JPG.ed6dc5a8fd0baaa11696ad5e4ccf8ba7.JPG

I stayed to see the deconstruction a little from here since I didn't want to face paying the fee for going into KY State Fair properties.

IMG_1053.JPG.ed6dc5a8fd0baaa11696ad5e4ccf8ba7.JPG

I stayed to see the deconstruction a little from here since I didn't want to face paying the fee for going into KY State Fair properties.

IMG_1058.JPG.9b217dcb72bead896868bbf38dea2806.JPG It was here when I took a drive around Kentucky Kingdom. Since there wasn't anything going on at the Expo Center, I didn't have to pay the $8 fee to get in. There was a lot of activity going on within the walls and a lot of workers landscaping. There were even some trucks parked out in front of Breakdance when I passed the front side of the park.

IMG_1091.JPG.494faa773a3a98bd54853b567a9673bc.JPGIMG_1092.JPG.a8446fee3d45775a7dfa3d5b0b011b25.JPG

Soon, I got right up to the construction site to get a much closer look at the deconstruction.

IMG_1093.JPG.c29a8d1b2418c8cd6175b5ec5a4cc6c2.JPG

There was a man buffing the gondolas of the ferris wheel. The ride was looking more shiny!

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.ff1fc4dfb133c789299fdab78b54129e.JPG

He seems to have some work ahead of him.

IMG_1095.JPG.496e247d875fdc59acbf43fd34b218db.JPG

Most of the back section had already been removed and placed on the ground outside the fence of the park where the street passes under the bridge.

IMG_1097.JPG.20cf83e2ac465117f31b69743a6e3f44.JPG

Nope, not messing with the bolts at all. It's full-on cutting of the steel and pulling it apart piece-by-piece. Probably because they had problems with the bolts.

IMG_1099.JPG.00233f2f72af6911ca049e45a61ae552.JPG

All of a sudden, an anchorman and camera man showed up from WDRB. I was pretty much the only other person there watching the deconstruction like the KK fanboy I apparently am, so that was how I was interviewed.

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.dd4c08c15d1ed9b5b2ca8ed39dd54295.JPG

Looks like this whole section is next to become separated.

IMG_1108.JPG.f927cdcb2e7d8f63e4fd44039b847c9e.JPG

Turned around and got a closer look at the guy with the ferris wheel.

IMG_1111.JPG.b7e04a5e4d8b44517c717d4b8bb58f3d.JPG

Anchorman taking notes.

IMG_1119.JPG.20ff9646092501dfe0a5fdf9fce1a93d.JPG

Does this look salvageable?

IMG_1129.JPG.244af79b694a77a5ce772b4d29888153.JPGIMG_1134.JPG.3f7a97609f8a21ecba556e19ca8b90a0.JPG

How about this...?

IMG_1138.thumb.JPG.ac6cdfadc425905868a8da9e6722feab.JPG

With a bit of lifting and pulling and lifting and pulling, it eventually freed itself, clunked next to the leftover piece of track, and began spinning slowly in the air.

IMG_1145.JPG.87e12c9be549507e6dd77aef01eaf2d4.JPG

Gently stood up on the ground next to the other pieces.

IMG_1151.JPG.34905bf255da1773bb52abaf03594116.JPG

"What nuts and bolts?"

IMG_1164.thumb.JPG.1c240fafdc478cf6b9a83640cfe8ff18.JPG

Eventually the workers and the WDRB group left to go get lunch, so I got a closer look at the track.

IMG_1167.JPG.52e36e46ba2831c446c3ae56d3af573c.JPG

I've never really watched the deconstruction of a roller coaster before, but i don't think this is how it's done if the coaster was going to be used in another park sometime in the future.

IMG_1171.JPG.88340891ed92c64cd47b26e04e744074.JPG

Ramp!

IMG_1173.JPG.5acea4b9022d3f1009a9885c3b0e609b.JPG

I only took some photos of the front of the park after this, before making another circle around the park past the site and then leaving. I'll have some leftover pictures thrown onto Flickr soon, look for the same username.

IMG_1178.JPG.fe5380dcbae355f7dd0d27b0e0fe5ef6.JPG

Edited by Midgetman82