Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 445 - Lightning Run POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby GigaG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Some guy posted on KK's Facebook -

This ride sucked it was just a loop. Glad it's gone.

Never been on a Shuttle Loop, but I hear they are good. GP at work?
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 pm

They're definitely not bad rides...but far from the best either. Good forces in the loop and some fun floater air on the tower. Enthusiasts just place more sentimental value on them.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 am

NAMTABSFGAm wrote:Everybody email Ed Hart to try to save Greezed Lightning.

Not even funny as a bad joke.

People need to get over that rides don't last forever. I liked the ride, too. But it's gone. Deal with it.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Gilly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:21 am

I would rather see a coaster like T2 to be gone, but, if the new coaster turns out to be an interesting one, I think you can all forgive them for dismantling the ride.
Anybody knows if the old Astroworld shuttle loop still exists?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 am

^Cliff's Amusement Park bought it but they haven't started putting it in yet. Not sure about the progress on that

And let's not forget that Greezed Lightnin' was in terrible shape and there is no telling how much money they would of had to thrown at it to get it up and running. It has been a foregone conclusion for awhile that it would have to be removed once someone took over the park.
Last edited by ernierocker on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:42 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:10 am

Jew wrote:They're definitely not bad rides...but far from the best either. Good forces in the loop and some fun floater air on the tower. Enthusiasts just place more sentimental value on them.

Well, it was by far the best dry ride they had at Kentucky Kingdom. That's because the collection was pretty weak. Thunder Run reportedly can be very good, but it was in poor condition when I rode it.

As much as I'd love to see Greezed Lightnin' run again, mechanical things have a service life. This ride is 35 years old. It probably could be kept going for another few years, but that would be expensive and time consuming. The effort would not likely be worth it as Hart & pals need to invest their resources into modern rides that could grow their attendance.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 am

Okay, here are some photos I have of the site yesterday. I had the day to kill, so I took the initiative that morning after work to head over to Kentucky Kingdom and take pictures of the cranes on Greezed Lightnin'. It was about 10:00am when I made it to the local bowling alley to take the first peek at the coaster, and immediately saw the cranes, but no back vertical spike on the coaster.
IMG_1053.JPG
I stayed to see the deconstruction a little from here since I didn't want to face paying the $8 fee for going into KY State Fair properties.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1058.JPG
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1091.JPG
Viewed 12598 times
It was here when I took a drive around Kentucky Kingdom. Since there wasn't anything going on at the Expo Center, I didn't have to pay the $8 fee to get in. There was a lot of activity going on within the walls and a lot of workers landscaping. There were even some trucks parked out in front of Breakdance when I passed the front side of the park.

IMG_1092.JPG
Soon, I got right up to the construction site to get a much closer look at the deconstruction.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1093.JPG
There was a man buffing the gondolas of the ferris wheel. The ride was looking more shiny!
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1094.JPG
He seems to have some work ahead of him.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1095.JPG
Most of the back section had already been removed and placed on the ground outside the fence of the park where the street passes under the bridge.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1097.JPG
Nope, not messing with the bolts at all. It's full-on cutting of the steel and pulling it apart piece-by-piece. Probably because they had problems with the bolts.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1099.JPG
All of a sudden, an anchorman and camera man showed up from WDRB. I was pretty much the only other person there watching the deconstruction like the KK fanboy I apparently am, so that was how I was interviewed.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1107.JPG
Looks like this whole section is next to become separated.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1108.JPG
Turned around and got a closer look at the guy with the ferris wheel.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1111.JPG
Anchorman taking notes.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1119.JPG
Does this look salvageable?
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1129.JPG
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1134.JPG
How about this...?
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1138.JPG
With a bit of lifting and pulling and lifting and pulling, it eventually freed itself, clunked next to the leftover piece of track, and began spinning slowly in the air.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1145.JPG
Gently stood up on the ground next to the other pieces.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1151.JPG
"What nuts and bolts?"
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1164.JPG
Eventually the workers and the WDRB group left to go get lunch, so I got a closer look at the track.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1167.JPG
I've never really watched the deconstruction of a roller coaster before, but i don't think this is how it's done if the coaster was going to be used in another park sometime in the future.
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1171.JPG
Ramp!
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1173.JPG
Viewed 12598 times
IMG_1178.JPG
Viewed 12598 times

I only took some photos of the front of the park after this, before making another circle around the park past the site and then leaving. I'll have some leftover pictures thrown onto Flickr soon, look for the same username.
Last edited by Midgetman82 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:47 pm.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:33 am

A sad site for sure, but I guess it had to be done. That ride was pretty bad shape. Thanks for the update.
Also, I'm surprised at how good the ferris wheel gondolas look after a little buffing!
Never forget that this hobby is all about having fun!
Enjoy the ride for what it is. Don't bash it for what it's not.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby rustyinpeace » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 am

Awesome update on the deconstruction, the news is depressing but there's a certain beauty in seeing a ride dismantled/assembled. Hopefully the next ride will exceed this coasters thrill, I'll be looking forward to it.
Hi, I'm Rusty and my username was a MISTAKE!!!! I'm not dead! didn't mean to put that![/color]

R.I.P. Deja Vu (2001-2011)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby #1rollercoasterfan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Oh I've got a lump in my throat. How very depressing. Maybe they can shine it up & send it back to CGA where it belongs & give it back it's original Tidal Wave theme.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!