TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What has been killing it in the local market have been the dark rides like RSR and Transformers. If they could tap into part of that trend, I think it would help overall.

Possibly, but SFMM don't have the sort of capital Universal and Disney are able to put into their dark rides. I mean, RSR cost $200m and Transformers was $100m against Yolocoaster's $6m. So the park will have to find other ways to bring in the crowds.

If I was running the park the first thing I'd do is improve the operations. I'd add a staff member to the more popular coasters to assign rows and maximise capacity (as is the current practice on GL and X2). On my last visit it wasn't uncommon to see 6-8 empty seats on some trains simply because some rows only had 1 or 2 riders. Extrapolate that across an hour (assuming one train dispatches every 2 minutes) and you could potentially get another 200-250 people on the ride, which would have a huge impact on wait times. Cost would be minimal, and it would actually make Flash passes more valuable since you wouldn't end up with 30 minute station waits after skipping the queue.

YOLO was only 6 million dollars with all the LSMs?

For those folks (like me) who can't be there for the Media Day or Midnight Riders tomorrow on June 21 can tune in early morning (around 6am) to watch the local news channels send one of their newscasters to have the first rides!! They often ride it multiple times on the hour LIVE! It's been a tradition, especially for FOX11 and Eyewitness 7. Can't wait!!

Full Throttle possibly delayed. KTLA reports there are permit issues. The official statement from Sue Carpenter at SFMM is "...we are awaiting final sign off from the state on our operating procedures and are working closely with them to finalize shortly."

Hopefully they get it resolved soon...

Just saw the report on Youtube from KTLA and I think this is totally on SFMM. Shouldn't this have been done a while ago instead of at the last minute? The park should have been more organized planning this. Even if they decided to have the opening one more week from now, that would solve this issue as they should've thought about this. That will leave a VERY bad impression on the customers who went to the park mainly to go on that ride.

Of course, I'm assuming this will take longer than expected. If it's not that big, then cool. But still, it just seems so unprofessional and so expected of this park.

Edited by Someotherguyuser

Gold Striker had very similar issues. They ended up getting the permit approved in the middle of the operating day and then just opened the ride that moment and announced it over the loud speaker, then did media day the next morning. Very unusual.

Just saw the report on Youtube from KTLA and I think this is totally on SFMM. Shouldn't this have been done a while ago instead of at the last minute? The park should have been more organized planning this. Even if they decided to have the opening one more week from now, that would solve this issue as they should've thought about this. That will leave a VERY bad impression on the customers who went to the park mainly to go on that ride.

Of course, I'm assuming this will take longer than expected. If it's not that big, then cool. But still, it just seems so unprofessional and so expected of this park.

The ride is officially opening TOMORROW, so nobody from the general public was going to the park today and expecting to be able to ride the coaster.

It sucks for Media Day though and I am not sure who to blame here. They just need to wait for an e-mail from a person that might comes late to work today.

It goes with constructions that the park might got all the permits/certifications at the beginning of the week, but Sacramento works sometimes slower as one would think.

We dont know what is going on, so before the SFMM bashing(which happens here anyway)beginns, I rather hope that before the end of the day the ride will be running with happy people...

I would be curious to know what the standard process is for getting the green light from the state. If this is something most parks do 6-8 weeks in advance of opening (which I bet it isn't) then SFMM screwed the pooch on this one. On the other hand, if this is typical procedure and some guy is just late to work, then it is an unfortunate situation.

Either way, I'm very curious for some actual ride reviews.

Yes, Tony McEwing of Fox11 is sitting on the coaster as of 10:10am. He has verified they are waiting for the approval from Sacramento (email, phone call) which could come any minute. Tony will stay and be the first news reporter to ride FT. Too bad for Media Day folks, but the Midnight Ride and official opening tomorrow should be not affected. BTW, they just showed a video on FOX11 showing the coaster from a POV perspective. Sweeett!!

Edited by Arkhamar

Fox 11 just reported from the park. Tony (the reporter) is literally sitting in the train with Neil waiting for the word to go so it looks like they expecting the permit to be approved any minute. They said they're the only news station there so they'll have the exclusive coverage. They did show a POV of the ride, only up to the point where it was going back into the tunnel after the backwards launch. Didn't see any special effects but they do have those smaller cuts ins that we've seen at the entrance of the tunnel throughout the whole tunnel. I was also surprised to see the train go all the way to the end of the tunnel, practically hanging out of it before doing the backwards launch.

Here's the link for the 8:18am report video (where he is outside the ride explaining what is going on)...

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9015587

Here's the link for the 9:50am report video (which includes footage from Goliath's Opening)...

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9015951

Here's the link for the 10:10am report video (which includes the partial POV)...

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9015979

Edited by Magic Alumni