TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blue Collar comics to open Blue Collar County in Alabama

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jeff-foxworthy-blue-collar-comics-449084

Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy have laid out plans for a 500-acre Alabama attraction that's been described as Six Flags meets Branson, Mo.

Move over, Dollywood. The mega-hit Blue Collar Comedy trio of Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy are prepping a theme park of their own. The Foley, Ala., locale, titled Blue Collar Country, has been described by Foley mayor John Koniar as Branson, Mo., meets Six Flags.

Construction has yet to begin, but the roughly 500-acre development is expected to include hotels, retail, an RV resort, rides, a 100,000-square-foot events center (for concerts, sporting events and conventions) and restaurants including a Foxworthy-themed steak house, an Engvall fish spot and a Larry the Cable Guy rib joint. Phase one of the project will cost about $200 million, which will come through a combination of bonds, grants and institutional financing, say sources, plus local and federal tax credits. If all goes according to plan, Blue Collar Country will be up and running in the next two to three years, according to Blue Collar manager J.P. Williams. With Williams' guidance, the Blue Collar trio has earned many millions from TV shows, tours, films, books and merchandise, which made the brand ripe for a dramatic expansion.

If the Alabama location is successful, the group -- which includes singer Tony Orlando, who is said to have come up with the idea and found the location -- will look to open as many as six other Blue Collar locales around the country.

I highlighted the parts I found particularly amusing, but yeah, this park is going to be KLASSY! Especially as it is literally themed around being a redneck, so I am assuming that some of the clientele are going to be rather terrifying. What do you guys think? I personally feel like this is going to be the carnival cruising equivalent of theme parks.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the park's clientele may be the thing that turns it into a "klassy" experience. The proposed attractions don't sound so bad, especially the the big convention center.

If anything, based on attractions alone, I would say that the I-X Amusement Park is the equivalent of the "Wal-Mart of Theme Parks" considering that all their rides are off-the shelf and placed in a big box (WHY is a Rock-O-Plane there and not Knoebels?).

Reading that report sent me through a whirlwind of thoughts in the matter of a few minutes. First, I laughed because the initial picture I saw in my head was a bunch of rides like the video above, along with the bench bolted to the front of the car, etc. Then I wondered why the blue collar crew would even want to attempt something like this. And finally, acceptance. If they managed to get the right people behind them it could work out very well, just enough redneck cliche to be entertaining but not enough to be over the top. I can't wait to see where this goes.

I'd say the chances of this happening are slim to none.

500 acres? Cedar Point is only 365.

Hotels? Restaurants?

Have we learned nothing from Hard Rock Park?

And yes...the clientele will be worse than any Six Flags.