The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Voyage to the Iron Reef Dark Ride Announced!
Users viewing this topic: KnottsBerryMountain and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Wags wrote:The thing is they are not competition for Disney, even Matt Ouimet said that he never considered Knott's competition. I have friends with kids who drove past Knott's to go to Medieval Times during a recent trip to Disneyland. That's sad, IMO. At its peak, Knott's was pulling in 5 million guests per year with far less attractions and they weren't giving away annual passes like they are now.

The market and competitive landscape have changed a lot since the "good old days" of KBF. Six Flags and Universal also "give away passes," and Disney introduced the payment plan options to make their pass seem like a better deal. Plus options like Medieval Times, the Pirates show, and countless other means for people looking for a "value" when spending their extra cash.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Look what Knott's just posted!

YouTube Videolink

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Jerome » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:27 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:Look what Knott's just posted!

YouTube Videolink

Thanks for posting that.

I noticed on the web page they chanced the reopening date of the log ride to summer.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby jokey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

For some reason I really like the logos for Coast Rider and Surfside gliders. Simple logos that fit the boardwalk theme.
Top 10
Maverick|Leviathan|Millenium Force|Griffon|TTD|Apollo's Chariot|Montu|Raptor (CP)|Behemoth|Sheikra

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm

^ I agree!

So does anyone know if Knott's will hold some sort of media/preview day on the whole Boardwalk expansion?
Steel: 74 --- Wooden: 11 --- Total: 85
Top 5: (1) Maverick --- (2) Millennium Force --- (3) Diamondback --- (4) X2 --- (5) YOLOcoaster

Home Park: Knott's Berry Farm

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:^ I agree!

So does anyone know if Knott's will hold some sort of media/preview day on the whole Boardwalk expansion?

I'm sure they will.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am

Can't wait to see the report from the park's TMLR preview showing off their updates.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 am

Knott's held a hard hat tour to show off the new Boardwalk expansion and the updated Timber Mountain Log Ride, and TPR was there with David and Spears! Check out our full report below...
001.jpg
Knott's is going all out this year with a massive Boardwalk expansion as well as a full renovation of the Timber Mountain Log Ride. They invited TPR to attend a presentation and hard hat tour of both projects, so read on to get the scoop on both of these new additions!
Viewed 8951 times
002.JPG
In typical Knott's fashion, they pulled out all the stops. We were greeted with an awesome breakfast before the tours.
Viewed 8951 times
003.JPG
Knott's never disappoints!
Viewed 8951 times
004.JPG
Jennifer Blazey welcomed everyone and then introduced Raffi Kaprelyan, the General Manager of Knott's.
Viewed 8951 times
005.JPG
Raffi was the first of four presenters who gave us a ton of information on the new additions. I have deemed them the Fantastic Four!
Viewed 8951 times
006.JPG
First up, info on the Boardwalk expansion. Knott's is adding 3 new rides to the Boardwalk this year! They're adding a family roller coaster and two flat rides in the space once occupied by Perilous Plunge.
Viewed 8951 times
007.jpg
The family roller coaster is a Mack Wild Mouse coaster named "Coast Rider." They showed us the logo, images of the ride vehicles, and a drawing of the entrance marquee.
Viewed 8951 times
008.jpg
The coaster is 52 feet high with 1,339 feet of track. The ride lasts 2.5 minutes. This is a sample of what it will look like once it's finished and running!
Viewed 8951 times
009.jpg
The second ride Knott's is adding is a Larson Flying Scooters ride named "Surfside Gliders." It's 28 feet high and will make 10 revolutions per minute.
Viewed 8951 times
010.jpg
The third and final ride Knott's is adding to the Boardwalk is "Pacific Scrambler." This Eli Bridge Scrambler has run in various locations at Knott's in the past, but has been in storage since Pony Express was built. They're bringing it back out and sprucing it up to round out the new Boardwalk additions.
Viewed 8951 times
011.jpg
They're going to be installing Windseeker-esque lights onto the flat rides, which should add a nice glow to the area, and will look great in photographs. They said they want the area to look great in both the daytime and the nighttime.
Viewed 8951 times
012.JPG
Moving on from the Boardwalk Expansion, here are details on the Timber Mountain Log Ride renovation.
Viewed 8951 times
013.jpg
This is Bud Hurlbut's original Log Ride sketch from 1969. Knott's is in the process of a multi-million dollar upgrade to the attraction. They're working to bring it into the 21st century while maintaining the aspects of the ride that have made it a classic. I'm a huge fan of this ride, and I'm happy to report that it appears the changes Knott's is making to it will not disappoint!
Viewed 8951 times
014.jpg
Here is a drawing of a scene from the updated attraction. The new scenes will involve animation, warmth, humor, and new characters while maintaining the ride's original charm.
Viewed 8951 times
015.jpg
Knott's is working with Garner Holt on the project, one of the most reputable names in the business. They're building all new human and animal figures, nearly all of which will have subtle motion to bring life to each scene. The animals will now be made of man-made materials, with synthetic eyes, teeth, and fur.
Viewed 8951 times
016.jpg
Existing face sculptures will be replaced with silicone masks, but the same art style will be preserved. Many of the masks are molded from the existing figures.
Viewed 8951 times
017.jpg
A sampling of the many molds Garner Hold is making.
Viewed 8951 times
018.jpg
A photo of an employee working on the animals. It's surprising how life-like they're able to make the artificial creatures look.
Viewed 8951 times
019.jpg
An employee working on making hands for the characters in the ride.
Viewed 8951 times
020.JPG
The new props and scenery pieces are being detailed by the guy who painted the props and scenery for the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland.
Viewed 8951 times
021.JPG
Knott's set up a display of objects from the ride to show off the quality and attention to detail going into each piece.
Viewed 8951 times
022.JPG
The new figures are amazingly life-like!
Viewed 8951 times
023.JPG
It's hard to believe that wasn't a real owl!
Viewed 8951 times
024.JPG
I'm glad he's not real - far less stinky!
Viewed 8951 times
025.JPG
I wanted to walk up and pet the dog, it was that realistic!
Viewed 8951 times
026.JPG
Oh no, I've been axed!
Viewed 8951 times
027.JPG
Even worse, he's going after Spears!
Viewed 8951 times
028.JPG
There were a few boards set up with more images from the attraction.
Viewed 8951 times
029.JPG
A closer look...
Viewed 8951 times
030.JPG
I'm excited to see all this stuff in real life.
Viewed 8951 times
031.JPG
Another drawing of a scene from the ride.
Viewed 8951 times
032.JPG
"En route to a sensational inspirational celebrational HOOTENANNY"
Viewed 8951 times
033.JPG
But enough talk, lets see some of this stuff in person! Everyone was given a hard hat to protect our fragile heads.
Viewed 8951 times
034.jpg
Whoa! Look who was hiding in Spears' hard hat! It's Gertrude!!!
Viewed 8951 times
035.jpg
Gertrude is totally excited for the new rides.
Viewed 8951 times
036.jpg
We walked down the train tracks to get to the construction site.
Viewed 8951 times
037.jpg
Here we are!
Viewed 8951 times
038.jpg
The platform in front is for Pacific Scrambler, the second platform back is for Surfside Gliders, and in the back is Coast Rider.
Viewed 8951 times
039.gif
Spears is demonstrating how Pacific Scrambler will work.
Viewed 8951 times
040.jpg
Gertrude wanted to experience what Surfside Gliders might feel like, so she hopped in a wheelbarrow and instructed a construction worker to push her around.
Viewed 8951 times
041.JPG
I think he's testing a new nighttime water spectacular!
Viewed 8951 times
042.jpg
The world is a Carousel of Color!
Viewed 8951 times
043.jpg
Coast Rider's track is now complete, so testing should begin soon! Or in Gertrude's case, testing begins now.
Viewed 8951 times
044.jpg
This is the operator's booth for Pacific Scrambler.
Viewed 8951 times
045.jpg
Look what Gertrude started!
Viewed 8951 times
046.jpg
Random bit of info: the old light blue paint showed every speck of dirt, so they'll be painting the pool a darker color. It's nice to see them considering all these little details.
Viewed 8951 times
047.jpg
Random bit of info #2: Coast rider's height limit will be 44" with an adult, or 54" without an adult.
Viewed 8951 times
048.jpg
Look who showed up! Snoopy in a construction hat!
Viewed 8951 times
049.jpg
He totally struck a manly pose!
Viewed 8951 times
50.jpg
Snoopy is quite the ladies' man.
Viewed 8951 times
51.jpg
Thanks to Mike, Snoopy, and Jeff for showing us everything, answering all our questions, and posing for photos!
Viewed 8951 times
052.jpg
Bye, bye Snoopy! Nice seeing you!
Viewed 8951 times
053.jpg
As we leave, here's one last look at the Pacific Scrambler platform.
Viewed 8951 times
054.jpg
And here's one last look at the Surfside Gliders platform.
Viewed 8951 times
055.jpg
It's still very much a construction site, but not for much longer! The new Boardwalk rides are currently on schedule to open Memorial Day Weekend.
Viewed 8951 times
056.JPG
A couple shots of Coast Rider on our way to the Timber Mountain Log Ride.
Viewed 8951 times
057.jpg
Track is complete, but they're still doing lots of work on and around the ride.
Viewed 8951 times
058.jpg
Here's Spears under the first drop.
Viewed 8951 times
059.jpg
The lift hill is on the left in this photo and the drop is on the right.
Viewed 8951 times
060.jpg
And here's the ride behind the construction walls.
Viewed 8951 times
061.jpg
The Sky Cabin looked pretty this morning with the sun shining around it.
Viewed 8951 times
062.jpg
One more Sky Cabin photo.
Viewed 8951 times
063.jpg
Over to the Timber Mountain Log Ride, there is still lots of construction going on.
Viewed 8951 times
064.jpg
Gertrude was disappointed to see that there weren't any logs.
Viewed 8951 times
065.JPG
Spears is getting ready to go into the mountain!
Viewed 8951 times
066.JPG
Here's a photo of the log ride layout.
Viewed 8951 times
067.JPG
Scene #6 is where we're headed.
Viewed 8951 times
068.JPG
The ride is still under construction so there wasn't much to see in the way of characters or theming. It's scheduled to open May 30th, so things will likely start getting put back together pretty quickly.
Viewed 8951 times
069.jpg
There were lots of ladders, wires, and exposed materials.
Viewed 8951 times
070.jpg
A few bits of information we found out: The lighting and audio for the ride are both being completely re-done...
Viewed 8951 times
071.jpg
The logs will be the same as before, and are currently in the process of being refurbished...
Viewed 8951 times
072.jpg
There aren't plans to theme the ride for Haunt or Christmas anymore...
Viewed 8951 times
073.jpg
The support poles in the room are normally themed as trees, which is why you've probably never noticed them before!
Viewed 8951 times
074.jpg
Oh no! Gertrude put the "logs" back in the log ride.
Viewed 8951 times
075.jpg
Ew! Maybe Gertrude needs to wear a diaper from now on.
Viewed 8951 times
076.jpg
Well there you have it! Hopefully you enjoyed this behind the scenes look at the awesome projects currently under construction at Knott's. The Boardwalk Expansion will create more of a family atmosphere and a finished look in the back of the park, and the Timber Mountain Log Ride renovation seems like it will strike the perfect balance between new and old - bringing the ride into the 21st century while maintaining its classic story and charm.
Viewed 8951 times
077.jpg
Thanks Knott's for inviting us to attend this event! We had a great time, and can't wait to ride these new additions this summer!
Viewed 8951 times
Last edited by ILoveRides on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 am.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 am

I'm rather impressed with what Knott's is doing, epecially in the Log Ride remodel. Heck, I'm more excited about the 2013 Boardwalk expansion and the new Log Ride than YOLOcoaster.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 am

I'm glad that they're doing great things with the log ride (still my favorite log ride, anywhere). The Boardwalk is going to look a lot better when they're finished.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!