TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

No video that I can find. I opened Sierra Sidewinder so I know how it operates first hand.

This image is from D'wervelwind @ Toverland but its the exact same station/transfer track design as Sidewinder.

The entire track assembly is moved vertical by a hydraulic lift. Once it's in the transfer position the train in the station approach (waiting block) can be advanced into the transfer or if there's a train already in the transfer it can be advanced from the transfer to the lift. The track can not be moved with a train on the station track. Hope this makes sense.......

No video that I can find. I opened Sierra Sidewinder so I know how it operates first hand.

This image is from D'wervelwind @ Toverland but its the exact same station/transfer track design as Sidewinder.

The entire track assembly is moved vertical by a hydraulic lift. Once it's in the transfer position the train in the station approach (waiting block) can be advanced into the transfer or if there's a train already in the transfer it can be advanced from the transfer to the lift. The track can not be moved with a train on the station track. Hope this makes sense.......

So the station track goes up towards the ceiling? That's a pretty innovative system there.

^The station actually doubles as an elevator. The transfer track is underneath. It's pretty cool to watch them take a train off or on.

Does anyone have any pictures or videos of this happening? I am really interested by this.

While this is not the same coaster type, Mack does have this kind of transfer track for their other small coasters as pictured here, Mack's YoungStar coaster. This is Pegasus at Europa park; picture taken from RCDB.

Is KBF open daily in October? or just Thurs-Sun?

Knott's is open 364 days a year, the only closed day is Christmas.

Their Scary Farm Halloween Haunt event (which is a seperate ticket event at night) runs generally Thursday-Sunday nights in October.

Edited by Wes

^ I still find that kind of amazing.

they have to be open. . to compete with Disney which is so close, and is open year round too.

When we did our Disney trip, we took a day trip to Knott's (think it was a Wednesday), and there were, literally, less than 200 customers in the park.

way more employees than customers.

and almost everything was open (Xcellerator and Silver Bullet were walk ons that they didn't even make me get off the coaster to ride again). Even Supreme Scream was a walk on.

The thing is they are not competition for Disney, even Matt Ouimet said that he never considered Knott's competition. I have friends with kids who drove past Knott's to go to Medieval Times during a recent trip to Disneyland. That's sad, IMO. At its peak, Knott's was pulling in 5 million guests per year with far less attractions and they weren't giving away annual passes like they are now.

We had a bit of a family tradition with Knott's when I was a kid. It was about a six-hour drive from the ol' homestead in central California to southern California, and we'd leave at 6:00 or 7:00 am. We always spent our first evening at Knott's, starting with dinner at either the chicken restaurant or the old steak house, then hit the park for a few hours, mainly for the mine train and log ride. Disney would take up the next couple of days.

I always liked those evenings at Knott's back in the 1960s and '70s--great place to explore when you're a kid.

Edited by cfc

We had a bit of a family tradition with Knott's when I was a kid. It was about a six-hour drive from the ol' homestead in central California to southern California, and we'd leave at 6:00 or 7:00 am. We always spent our first evening at Knott's, starting with dinner at either the chicken restaurant or the old steak house, then hit the park for a few hours, mainly for the mine train and log ride. Disney would take up the next couple of days.

I always liked those evenings at Knott's back int he 1960s and '70s--great place to explore when you're a kid.

Now there's nothing to explore. Go on rides. Go home. That's it. There's no imagination.

^I agree that the park has lost something since those days, but I'm heartened that Knott's is taking its heritage a bit more seriously now.

Edited by cfc

^I agree that the park has lost something since those days, but I'm heartened that Knott's is taking its heritage a bit more seriously now.

I agree. Ghost town is still there. They are remodeling the log ride and I hear the mine train is next on the list. The train and stage coach are still there and they still have the old shows.

The thing is they are not competition for Disney, even Matt Ouimet said that he never considered Knott's competition. I have friends with kids who drove past Knott's to go to Medieval Times during a recent trip to Disneyland. That's sad, IMO. At its peak, Knott's was pulling in 5 million guests per year with far less attractions and they weren't giving away annual passes like they are now.

The market and competitive landscape have changed a lot since the "good old days" of KBF. Six Flags and Universal also "give away passes," and Disney introduced the payment plan options to make their pass seem like a better deal. Plus options like Medieval Times, the Pirates show, and countless other means for people looking for a "value" when spending their extra cash.