TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Painting..haha

I was thinking of the YOLO Crane, perhaps if they're putting up steel they closed rides whose riders or queues could potentially be impacted by a crane accident..

Incidentally Apocalypse is also down..curious so many rides are down on a busy week.

Edited by singemfrc

Painting..haha

I was thinking of the YOLO Crane, perhaps if they're putting up steel they closed rides whose riders or queues could potentially be impacted by a crane accident..

Incidentally Apocalypse is also down..curious so many rides are down on a busy week.

Fixed...

The tunnel cannot qualify as a block. The definition of a block is that it can safely stop the train in an area with no risk of collision. If two trains are dispatched 30 seconds apart, and one train fails to clear the top hat, they will collide. This is why the only real blocks are in the station/final brake area, and that three train operation would not have a considerable effect on capacity.

^ The discussion about 3 trains had nothing to do with them running 3 trains at a time. I think everybody realizes running 3 trains on this ride would be impossible. The discussion of having a 3rd train was so you could always have 1 in rehab and run 2 trains. Just think if they had gotten a 3rd train for Apocalypse or if Knott's had gotten a 3rd train for Xcelerator.

^^ That's not entirely true, the tunnel can act as a block should the final brake run not be clear for some reason. Say they launched a train but the other one did not come in to the station immediately after, the tunnel block would stop the other train. Then again all blocks are mostly useless as the ride will only run 2 trains a couple days a year.

^ After SFDK extended their hours for Holiday in the Park Medusa lost the ability to run 3 trains because they had a rotating rehab. It works great though because they always have 2 operational train from opening day to closing day. The extra train thing is really a smart move for year around parks. Doesn't California Screamin' have 8 trains even though it can only run 5 at a time?

^ Even SFMM only having 2 trains on their rides is a rather new thing. Riddlers originally 3 or 4 trains. Scream I think has 3 (maybe 4?). Goliath is 3 or 4. Colossus is I think 4 (although at one point I think they had 6 or 8). Revolution has 3 or 4 (originally had more). I think Gold Rusher still has 3. Ninja has 3 (technically). Didn't X also have 3 when it first opened?

I can't remember if Batman ever had more than 2 trains but I seem to remember they did have 3 when the ride first opened. It's only 2 now though.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot

^ Even SFMM only having 2 trains on their rides is a rather new thing. Riddlers originally 3 or 4 trains. Scream I think has 3 (maybe 4?). Goliath is 3 or 4. Colossus is I think 4 (although at one point I think they had 6 or 8). Revolution has 3 or 4 (originally had more). I think Gold Rusher still has 3. Ninja has 3 (technically). Didn't X also have 3 when it first opened?

I can't remember if Batman ever had more than 2 trains but I seem to remember they did have 3 when the ride first opened. It's only 2 now though.

Riddler, Scream and Goliath were all 3, and have the capability to run 3, but you didn't and don't see it often. Riddler was the most consistent for a long time, but they eventually stopped. I don;t think they even have 3 trains anymore, didn't they send one to SFGAdv for parts for Green Lantern or something?

Now that I think of it, anyone know of any B&M capable of running 4 trains? I think they all max out at 3.

It's been like that for almost the last 10 years. 2003-2005 was when things got terrible.

Going to the park tomorrow. Do you guys think these closures will lead into tomorrow?

Actually Im hearing almost everything is back up and running right now, I think only Goldrusher is closed at the moment.

EDIT: Goldrusher opened back up before closing as well.

^ They use it on all their rides still. Superman at SFDK is all single spine going up the tower and and the drop out of the barrel roll. They really only use the double spine in aresa where there is less options for supports and there is more need for the track to act as the support structure as well.

Haven't been to the park since the first weekend of February and it is quite amazing to see the progress! I hope they plant some trees around the front side of the hill like they did around the back side/tunnel entrance area.