TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think so Wes, but I couldn't tell how much of the actual loop/tophat track was on-site. There was a bit more than that, I'll see if I got a picture of the rest.

EDIT: I think this was all the track that was still on site. Not much "Top Hat" track from what I can tell. Not sure how far up the loop the "top" part begins but it's more than those 2 pieces that are there I'm sure.

Track.jpg.9e2031fe177adc6feb7a8566d0258b59.jpg

The looptophat should go up pretty quick, no?

They still have both towers for the loop to be constructed, which if Superman Ultimate Flight is any indication, will be pretty beefy and filled with lots of columns. I'd say the end of April is still a pretty good projection of when the steel erection should be finished.

Well my noon class got canceled, so what better way to spend the time i wouldve spent in class than to drive up the street from my school and spend a couple of hours at SFMM?

I went to the park today just to ride Goliath and Batman. Everything had a thirty minute to a Fourty-five minute wait. The park was pretty packed as it was spring break for a lot of schools (Mine doesn't start until next week). Lex Luthor was closed and Apocolypse was running one train. As for FuII Throttle, I finally got to see it in person. I didn't get any pictures as the progress was the same as what you have already seen. Just thought I'd give an update.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to also mention that they were handing out blue boarding passes for Tatsu. I had to leave the line since I was pressed for time before my class met. Anyone know what that was for? I don't think I've seen SFMM do this before whenever I was there.

Edited by Someotherguyuser

I forgot to also mention that they were handing out blue boarding passes for Tatsu. I had to leave the line since I was pressed for time before my class met. Anyone know what that was for? I don't think I've seen SFMM do this before whenever I was there.

SFMM occasionally does this to prevent line jumping when the queues are so long. I was there once in 2010 and they were handing them out for X2. The line extended almost all the way across the bridge when this happened. Each "boarding pass" is individually numbered, so in theory this prevents line jumping in that the passes should be collected in numerical order.

Although when me and my group finally got up to the turnstile in the loading station (which was about 2.5 hours from the time we got in line), the ops weren't even looking at the passes nor collecting them. So my guess is that while the intention was to prevent line jumping, it was being used more as a scare tactic. On a sidenote, I kept the boarding pass as a souvenir since they never collected them. The pass I have is pink, so I'm guessing the colors are used at random so that the passes can't be reused on different days (similar to how Disney constantly changes the colors of their Single Rider and Child Switch passes for this same reason).

So to make a long story short, I think they did this for Tatsu just to prevent line jumpers. Of course, I've never been a SFMM employee, so maybe someone else can give a better explanation.

^ LL:DOD was down when I was there on Saturday as well. They were testing when I walked by though and it looked as if it was getting ready to open anytime. Wonder what's going on with it.

WINDSEEKERED.

They tested LL:DOD most of the day Sunday as well and then opened it around 2pmish... I'm too much of a chicken to get on it.

Don't be scuuuurd. LL:DOD was my first drop tower ride, and I have a thing about heights

They tested LL:DOD most of the day Sunday as well and then opened it around 2pmish... I'm too much of a chicken to get on it.

Don't be scuuuurd. LL:DOD was my first drop tower ride, and I have a thing about heights

Same! I was always afraid of drop tower type rides because of the height. I went with a bunch of friends and just did it! I love drop towers now! LL:DOD is now a must do every time I visit the park.

I actually find LL:DOD a bit tame to be honest. It just doesn't get my stomach. Honestly I find Supreme Scream at Knott's and Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure to be more thrilling than LL:DOD. But the views you get from the top and the sensation of speed you feel as you drop on it are amazing!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I have yet to ride it while Superman is going...so I haven't experienced the shaking yet, but I'm sure it will add to the experience!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I have yet to ride it while Superman is going...so I haven't experienced the shaking yet, but I'm sure it will add to the experience!

The shaking definitely makes the ride a whole new experience. A car once went by right as we were locking into the top. I was way more frightened that ride than I was the first time I rode it. 400 feet in the air, swaying like crazy, and about to fall... not a good combo!

^Yes

Just curious, I know the artists renderings show a train going through the loop at the same time one is going over the tophat. Is this possible?

The only way I could think this is possible is if the tunnel has two break zones. One in case the train doesn't make the tophat so it can roll back to the tunnel and the other for the train that makes it through the loop to the tunnel.

^Yes

Just curious, I know the artists renderings show a train going through the loop at the same time one is going over the tophat. Is this possible?

The only way I could think this is possible is if the tunnel has two break zones. One in case the train doesn't make the tophat so it can roll back to the tunnel and the other for the train that makes it through the loop to the tunnel.

I'm sure the artist rendering is wishful thinking.

Seems risky for the tunnel to have two brake zones to accommodate that..plus wouldn't they have to clear and dispatch the second train in less than a minute to get the timing right? Just seems impossible.

I don't think Ninja would be impacted by the crane for LL:DOD. Maybe they are painting Tatsu.

I'm sure the tunnel is considered a "block" but I don't think it would be possible in the case that there is a roll-back on the top hat portion. The train would have to clear the top hat before the next could be launched I'd think.