TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

Right, we don't have any plans to add the other flight line. We think the additional multi-level track is a better use of the space than a second flight line. It's also expensive and a lot of work to put in the other tower and the launch extension on the building. Each tower footer requires 3 pilings which are 60' deep. While it is a bit asymmetrical, we don't think the average guest will give it much thought. The concept was to incorporate a spectacular event ride with an iconic, highly visible landmark for the north I-Drive area; and basically take up almost zero footprint in our small park. We've studied places like Morey's Pier, which is very efficient in its use of space. Our goal is to pack a lot of fun into a relatively small area so you don't have to walk your legs off to have a good time.

The view from the now-paved parking lot. You can literally drive right into it among all the bents and parts!

Yeah, except for those pesky "No Trespassing" signs everywhere.

A bit late, but I totally missed those signs in the dark! Sorry FunSpot! Sorry Jesus!

So awesome to see White Lightning rising. And serious kudos to Fun Spot America for packing SO much awesome into such a small space.

Fun Spot (sorta) beat me to the punch, but I have new pictures to report! These were taken Wednesday.

DSCN7601.JPG.de5da6bd3c14171a78b02b584dc405f9.JPG

So now we have this giant contraption of supports up for Freedom Flyer.

DSCN7605.thumb.JPG.b72fa6cc235fc01d48c0633fccb8c7a0.JPG

This support will be doing quite a bit of supporting. It should win the 2014 Oscar for Best Supporting Support.

DSCN7604.JPG.a2805465a17a09341e7473eb21f9f22d.JPG

We also have pretty much the whole lift hill complete now.

DSCN7613.JPG.a0b1e8ce2357ab50f07c3b6f225d5b6d.JPG

And a mini helix!

DSCN7602.thumb.JPG.1d2edac27c7f9b37753e6bb822024837.JPG

This thing has certainly changed the skyline.

DSCN7603.JPG.9d937e4a48d4d20a00169ea88692b78e.JPG

There's also been lots of progress with White Lightning!

DSCN7606.JPG.e2f695d5934bf0d5b08b7995500d87be.JPG

It's really different watching a steel-supported wooden coaster go up. Not your typical woodie construction.

DSCN7607.JPG.723dfc725868a586014cf1e62b1770b8.JPG

Here's where the first drop will be!

DSCN7608.JPG.001d222277589144bdf0d6e883194aa0.JPG

Tangled mass of supports.

DSCN7609.thumb.JPG.2200e63200046ffeb9d74a8cd4714888.JPG

And this thing has gone vertical even more!

DSCN7610.JPG.2a7abf50d574b586969be7f92ce295ea.JPG

They've continued to work on the bents for the end of the layout.

DSCN7611.thumb.JPG.72cd02f2ab398f90b0b80483124db635.JPG

Hard at work on the lift hill!

DSCN7612.JPG.d91fc69c263cbd84d8a2c9dff949ea70.JPG

Won't be able to get this good of a look at Freedom Flyer from this vantage point much longer.

181136640_March6panorama.jpg.29853edcb99b666d91770e9186abd1c8.jpg

Panorama of the construction thus far. Moving along nicely!

Question...

About the skycoaster... I know we have discussed the reason behind there not being a second tower (the go carts track addition) and how how it kind of looks odd (un-symetrical) to have one tower learning to the side... but could Fun Spot in the future build a second tower on the opposite side of the arch way (leaning to the other side). It would probably stick out of lake. But could they technically do such? In this set up they could take two groups of flyers, raise them up, 3-2-1 Fly and have them dive towards each other... creating a near miss (although they would be plenty of space between to two swings). Thoughts? For those who have been on the site is that possible or are they other rides on that side of the arch which would prevent that from happening.

^ Yes, I'm with you on that... I don't think they need one... but it seems they wouldn't have build a single flight arch and not a dual flight arch. SFNE has an arch but just one flight tower that is perfectly centered. I just figure they are leaving the possibility open. So if they did... I just figured the method I described in my prior post would be the most feasible way to add an additional flight line (and personally think it would be pretty cool).

But I agree, the 300ft skycoaster in kissimmee has almost never had more than 2 flights ahead of me when I've gone.

^I'm fairly confident that Skycoaster would not allow for dueling flight lines. Not so much a factor of the swinging, but more of a concern for the placement of the operators during flight. I could be wrong, but everything I've learned about Skycoaster in the many years I was a Site Controller makes me think they wouldn't be ok with it. Not to mention it's a modification on the design of the ride which they never allow unless it's done directly by them.

And thanks for the photos! Love the updates. It's really cool to see the growth of this park.

It's really interesting to watch this small park that I knew very little about before this year expanding so dramatically. I'll have to keep an eye on this place to see what the next few years bring. I would love to be able to make a trip back down to Florida and Fun Spot is looking more and more like a required stop.

I am really liking the look of this expansion! White Lightning looks like it should be an awesome mid-sized woodie, and the layout looks pretty sweet. Freedom Flyer should be a fun smaller coaster too, and I like the look of it - the colors are nice and vibrant!

Kudos to Fun Spot on growing and developing into a neat little park stop for those heading towards Orlando.

These pictures really make me wish I lived close to Orlando again…Nashville is lacking a good theme park. Going to have to check out White Lightning (and the fun spot expansion as a whole) next time I'm in town for sure. Anyone have any ideas as to how they're going to price the new rides/coasters?

^I'm fairly confident that Skycoaster would not allow for dueling flight lines. Not so much a factor of the swinging, but more of a concern for the placement of the operators during flight. I could be wrong, but everything I've learned about Skycoaster in the many years I was a Site Controller makes me think they wouldn't be ok with it. Not to mention it's a modification on the design of the ride which they never allow unless it's done directly by them.

And thanks for the photos! Love the updates. It's really cool to see the growth of this park.

I was actually thinking about that earlier, and I can't see why it would be that big a deal if there were dueling flight lines. If you have two flights at the same time, it stands as a good possibility that they would be swinging in opposite directions at some point, and the arches are already engineered to have the flight lines far enough apart where there's zero chance the flyers could collide. But once again, while it's possible that it could be done, it never will be. I couldn't ever see a situation where Skycoaster, Inc. would sign off on something like that.

Right, we don't have any plans to add the other flight line. We think the additional multi-level track is a better use of the space than a second flight line. It's also expensive and a lot of work to put in the other tower and the launch extension on the building. Each tower footer requires 3 pilings which are 60' deep. While it is a bit asymmetrical, we don't think the average guest will give it much thought. The concept was to incorporate a spectacular event ride with an iconic, highly visible landmark for the north I-Drive area; and basically take up almost zero footprint in our small park. We've studied places like Morey's Pier, which is very efficient in its use of space. Our goal is to pack a lot of fun into a relatively small area so you don't have to walk your legs off to have a good time.

This quote from a park representative should explains why there is only one flight line on the SkyCoaster. Yet people still ask.

^^Pretty sure we mentioned that back in December when we did our first tour of the construction area. I know that facility does a lot of kids parties and a kiddie coaster will round out their kids area really nice!

Ah, nice to see the kiddie coaster re-confirmed. I'd been getting a little worried (okay, not really).

Seems like this will be (or continue to be) a well-rounded family-friendly park. I know enthusiasts hate on the older rough ones, but I've always figured a smooth Vekoma Jr. Suspended with a decent height requirement would make for a good "in-between" coaster for kids. This one is really photogenic too!