TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

goldstriker_logo.jpg.72114c94083b10a8f8f362ed934312f7.jpgGreat America has released information on their First Rider Program!

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker

GREAT AMERICA & 49ERS FOUNDATION TEAM UP ON FIRST RIDER PROGRAM

Opportunity to Ride New Gold Striker Coaster 1st Will Raise Funds For the 49ers Foundation

Online Auction Component is Now Live & Provides Opportunities to Meet 49ers

SANTA CLARA, CA – California’s Great America and the San Francisco 49ers Foundation have joined together to raise money for the San Francisco 49ers Foundation with the First Rider program. The First Rider initiative allows participants to experience Great America’s latest thrill ride, Gold Striker, prior to the record setting coaster opening to the general public.

Proceeds will assist Operation Care and Comfort and youth initiatives through the 49ers Foundation.

There are two elements to the First Rider program, which is tentatively scheduled to take place May 1, 2013 (Gold Striker’s general opening will be announced soon thereafter).

Those wishing to submit an online bid can do so at http://www.cagreatamerica.com/goldstriker. Winning bids will receive one of Gold Striker’s initial rides and access to the First Rider reception that will include members of the 49ers organization along with other celebrities.

The First Rider program also includes a Corporate Partnership opportunity. For a $2,500 donation, benefactors will experience Gold Striker’s incredible thrills, corporate signage on all First Rider promotional materials and attendance at the First Rider reception.

“We are proud to partner with the 49ers Foundation to support American troops and deserving Bay Area youth,” said California’s Great America Vice President and General Manager Raul Rehnborg. “Gold Striker will be one of America’s unique coasters and providing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to assist local charities is the perfect way to launch Gold Striker.”

“The 49ers Foundation is honored to be working with our Santa Clara neighbors at California’s Great America to help further enhance the offerings of our entertainment district in the heart of Silicon Valley,” shared Joanne Pasternack, Executive Director of the 49ers Foundation. “With the First Rider program not only are we partnering to raise much needed funds to support at-risk youth but we are also bringing visibility to a great addition to our community – Gold Striker.”

Gold Striker will feature a wooden coaster record 174-foot initial descent tunnel that will be enclosed by wood on both sides, have corrugated metal on top and in-fill underneath the tracks to replicate a true gold mine feel. The only visible light on Gold Striker’s initial descent, which will hurl riders down a 50 degree slope at almost 54 miles per hour, will be following the first turn, creating a nearly pitch black visual. Gold Striker will be the tallest and fastest wooden coaster in Northern California.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS FOUNDATION

The San Francisco 49ers Foundation is the non-profit community funding extension of the San Francisco 49ers. Now in its 21st year, the 49ers Foundation supports development programs for underserved youth that keep them, “Safe, On Track, and In School." The San Francisco 49ers are promoting RESPECT for schools and community by donating a significant portion of the foundation’s funding toward family violence prevention programs and activities that teach youth leadership and respect. Since 1992, the Foundation has donated nearly $20 million to support non-profits, including $2.9 million in 2012.

CEDAR FAIR

California’s Great America is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to California’s Great America, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

Edited by jray21

They did say at the event last weekend that the ride would not be opening immediately after this event. Whether that means the literal day of the event (which is a Wednesday and they are closed) or the first couple of operating days after it (May 4 and 5), who knows. I do see on their operating calendar that Friday May 3, they are having a private event. Could this maybe have to do with the ride? I do not know. I know CGA always has a lot of private buyout days early in their seasons.

Looks like Gold Striker will be open to the general public sometime after May 1st.

We had a conversation about this. They said they can't announce the planned opening date yet, but they said it's safe to assume opening day will be shortly after the first-rider auction. From the way they said it, I'm guessing GS will open anywhere from one week to one month afterward, but they said not the next day. So Memorial weekend might not be a bad guess after all?

Looks like Gold Striker will be open to the general public sometime after May 1st.

We had a conversation about this. They said they can't announce the planned opening date yet, but they said it's safe to assume opening day will be shortly after the first-rider auction. From the way they said it, I'm guessing GS will open anywhere from one week to one month afterward, but they said not the next day. So Memorial weekend might not be a bad guess after all?

I'm wondering if there will be any 'soft openings' before the true official opening. One can hope, right?

Say the 1st rider auction was on May 1st, it would only make sense to open the ride to the public that weekend. Only unless they find an issue that would delay the public opening, why would they wait weeks to open it to the public?

Yeah if they close the park on the game days it would hurt their business since it would be 7 or 8 Sundays.

They'd probably make more money from having the niners pay them to keep the park closed. It would only really hurt them during Haunt, but that can be worked around with early games or road games.

I live 10 minutes away from Great America, but I haven't been there for 2 years. After seeing all of this, I really miss Top Gun, Drop Zone, Grizzly, Demon, Psycho Mouse, and even Vortex. And they are adding this gorgeous ride. I'm definitely purchasing a Gold Pass this year.

^ I actually specifically spoke to them about the possibility of ditching Kidzville for a large Planet Snoopy since CGA is one of the last CF parks to have the separate kids areas next to each other. They were pretty frank with me and said that right now there hadn't even been whispers about that potentially happening. I don't think that combining the two is a major priority right now, the park has bigger issues that CF is working to right then that right now.

^

Yay I'm glad they're aware about the much needed paint! Now, how about a retro throwback to the 90s with it's lime green and black! In the mean time, let's get it to run smoother. I kind of feel that Vortex is not what one could call a turd...fixing it up would thus make it a nice and polished but still a turd...instead I see Vortex as actually being a decent forceful little Beemer, killed by its roughness. We can save the polished turd analogy for something else that sits in the back corner

^ I actually specifically spoke to them about the possibility of ditching Kidzville for a large Planet Snoopy since CGA is one of the last CF parks to have the separate kids areas next to each other. They were pretty frank with me and said that right now there hadn't even been whispers about that potentially happening. I don't think that combining the two is a major priority right now, the park has bigger issues that CF is working to right then that right now.

What about Cedar Point? They have their Planet Snoopy next to Kiddy Kingdom, so CGA isn't the last Cedar Fair park to have two separate kiddie areas next to each other!

^like better OTSR's or what? The only part that I don't enjoy is the corkscrew

If you're referring to Vortex, (The way you posted looks like you were referring to the Planet Snoopy thing), then yes. The corkscrew on Vortex is the part I dread . The rest really isn't so bad. With me, as I'm sure with most of you who rode it, there's very little head room and the excessive height on the restraints leave you with ears smashing into them. I often actually leave some extra room at the crotch but make up for it with shoulder crushing. Doing such, I can kind of stretch my neck and pull the head forward some so that my ears just clear the restraints when you go zooming into it.

What about Cedar Point? They have their Planet Snoopy next to Kiddy Kingdom, so CGA isn't the last Cedar Fair park to have two separate kiddie areas next to each other!

Please see above. Note, ONE OF. And Kiddie Kingdom and Planet Snoopy at CP are separated by a gigantic building. Kidzville and Planet Snoopy at CGA are right next to each other with nothing separating them. Quit trying to stir up controversy that doesn't exist.

The Planet Snoopy area has been redone/remodeled so much I think the other areas were getting jealous. I'd rather have them invest along with the themed area music coming back, with bringing back the theming like the Orleans Place lettering back on the brick entranceway, the County Fair Archway sign, and the 1950s Covertible by American Cafe in the "50's area" (old school CGA peeps know what I'm taking about) to name a few, Pictorium back up and running, and yes new paint and new paint job for Vortex please!

What other issues would Cedar Fair need to work with for CGA right now?

^ I take it you haven't been following the thread. They are fixing up deteriorating buildings, bringing entertainment back into the park, investing in large rides to fill gaps that have been created with removals, updating sound systems, improving food options, etc... Re-theming a kids area probably isn't a priority since it works fine how it is for now. With parks like KD, they have seen some huge installations with Dominator, I305, and even Windseeker. They can now look to those rides to entertain adults for a couple years and focus on the kids. With CGA, they are already incredibly kid friendly, they need to focus on other things like infrastructure and adult attractions.

^like better OTSR's or what? The only part that I don't enjoy is the corkscrew

If you're referring to Vortex, (The way you posted looks like you were referring to the Planet Snoopy thing), then yes. The corkscrew on Vortex is the part I dread . The rest really isn't so bad. With me, as I'm sure with most of you who rode it, there's very little head room and the excessive height on the restraints leave you with ears smashing into them. I often actually leave some extra room at the crotch but make up for it with shoulder crushing. Doing such, I can kind of stretch my neck and pull the head forward some so that my ears just clear the restraints when you go zooming into it.

I think that Vortex is probably the roughest stand-up I have been on. I really don't think it is good at all.