Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 627 - Six Flags Over Texas 2014 Opening Day Report
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Postby Gnome » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:20 pm

ajfelice wrote:I have great respect for the purpose of the ADA. The more people who can safely enjoy rides and attractions, the better. However, I believe some of the benefactors from the ADA have taken things to an extreme in some cases.

In this case, I take the most issue with the following excerpt from the lawyer, "On the other hand, the policy is under-inclusive because it says nothing about those who have hands but choose not to hold on." Before making such a statement, I think some research is necessary. Restrictions that require having hands, feet, arms, legs, etc. are put in place in the case of emergency evacuation like others have mentioned, or they exist because these extremities are needed for the restraints to function properly. This statement basically comes off to me as a poor excuse to whine and try to fault others because something didn't turn out as you wanted it to. For the case of Aquaman Splashdown, I'm not defending whether or not Six Flags violated ADA, as I'm not an expert on the ADA (I just follow their guidelines as best I can). Actually, it could be possible that Six Flags may have not made the new policy for that ride. Maybe it was a combination of their insurance provider or the State of Texas? Overall, I take issue with how the lawyer is stating the case against SFoT.

It is the Lawyer's job to make an argument. It is the judge's call to see through the BS of that argument and rip it to shreds. As long as the six flag's legal team provides sufficient reasons as to why riders need their hands (IE, riders can choose to not hold onto the lap bars, but still have that option where as riders with no hands don't have an option at all) or for various other reasons, the judge will typically rule in their favor.

Likely, this man's legal team will recommend to drag the case out until SF has had enough and will settle out of court. As a result no precedent will be set and will leave the next person who is "discriminated" against the ability to sue.
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby EastCoastn07 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

boardwalkbullet91507 wrote:The last time a disabled person thought they were OK to ride a ride, he unforunately fell out and died (S:ROS), and Six Flags probably does not want another one of these stints on their records. This person in question this time has legs, so falling out isn't a possibilty, but say the forces on Aquaman are too strong for him upon impact with the water and he is unable to grasp his lap bar, he could get a serious head injury if his body is thrust forward duue to inertia. So he can shoot a gun, awesome! But he can't GRASP a lap bar. Plus, Aquaman is a water ride, so the restraint will be wet and slippery (considering the restraint is metal). I think SFOT had every right to deny him the ability to ride. It's just one of those "better safe than sorry" scenarios.

That incident had nothing to do with Six Flags for the record, unless you're talking about the incident with the man that had cerebral palsy that fell out (which Six Flags blamed on the operator).

From my understanding, just about every coaster manufacturer out there requires at least one full functioning arm to be permitted on their rides. For those that don't, there's also a set of standards (ASTM) that both parks and manufacturers abide by with their rides. I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure this is an industry wide rule with needing to have one arm to ride these types of rides. These standards are there for a reason, and just because the man claims he can do pull ups or whatever else, rules are rules. ASTM standards are put together by the entire industry, so it's not just Six Flags who this kind of stuff is happening to either. Just look at Universal, they were getting sued for not allowing two men on the Mummy that had leg amputations (after the Darien Lake incident nonetheless), and that's a ride that physically requires legs to be adequately restrained.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby narkitty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Anybody have any updates on TSS construction? I'll be at the park next week for the Travel Channel filming, so I'll try to see if I can get any good pictures. Just wanted to know if any locals had seen or heard anything yet.

Coaster Count: 54 (47 Steel, 7 Wood)
Fellow Texan? Join the Texas Thrill Seekers group on Facebook!

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Just foundation work, nothing amazing.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby SFOverTexasFan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:32 am

It's opening day! I will be there today, tomorrow, and next week for the Travel Channel shooting!
CHECK OUT MY NEW SFOT FAN PAGE ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/SfotFans

Postby chadster » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Crazy busy today, guess the $18.23 admission promotion did it's job.

Postby chadster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 am

As indicated above, my new home park was slammed yesterday due to a super cheap opening weekend price. As Joco07 and I saw, the park is still making a lot of changes, changes for the better, changes that I'm about to show you, one of which is an all day unlimited soft drink wristband for souvenir cups price at $3.99.

So ready, set, foto!
SFOT 3.2.13 003.JPG
La Vibrator in its new colors, the pods have also been repainted.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 007.JPG
Wowzers. Thankfully they weren't actually using the fingerprint readers.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 009.JPG
Inside the park we took a right and what did we find? Our first change! No more ice cream, this will soon be Funnel Cakes.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 010.JPG
There are also changes in progress to the retail center. Can't say what's going in there just yet.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 011.JPG
Granny is now making fries instead of cakes
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 012.JPG
And pricing for those curious.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 013.JPG
One of the newstands taking the place of ice cream
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 014.JPG
Talked to the dippin' dots guy; he said they were putting in an aquatrax in 2015
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 017.JPG
But across from him you will find a shiney new Coca Cola stand. Look familiar?
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 079.JPG
And this is what it looks like when its open. First five people to tell me where these originated at will get a park map. Woot, big prize. (Government workers don't make a lot of cash!)
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 018.JPG
Meanwhile, something I didn't show at Holiday in the park, but new signage went in.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 019.JPG
Oh yeah, you wouldn't know it because this thing is in the way, but the arcade has been cleaned up and opened up.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 022.JPG
Also new this year.....DOLE WHIP!
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 030.JPG
Holy crap it's huge!

(That's what she said)
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 033.JPG
Moving past the line we spotted Elmo.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 032.JPG
Everyone was waiting for batman to open up. Temps were right at the minimum that it could run, 41 and he was having none of it. But after a little talking to, batman came outta the bat cave. Refurbished signs can also be found in the bat area this year.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 023.JPG
Moving on to Flashback. Oh. Wait.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 025.JPG
Have fun with it SFStL!
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 028.JPG
One day you will be gone too.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 047.JPG
Moving over to the parachutes. Oh. Wait.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 041.JPG
Move over chutes (or fall over) it's time for 400ft of fun!
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 038.JPG
So yeah, there is the progress, and that's about where it's gonna stay for a few weeks. Those who know anything about large concrete pours know they must cure.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 039.JPG
And I believe this was a recent pour. If you still miss the parachutes, you can come by and say goodbye to the exit sing. It's still over there.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 049.JPG
Breyers has moved in and the clocktower is getting painted. Taking it back old school.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 053.JPG
Back to batland we found the new lock up your stuff for an hourly fee machines.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 060.JPG
But they didn't put a ton of them in, at least not yet. So either they aren't going to or they didn't have enough to go around. Time will tell.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 058.JPG
Batman!!
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 061.JPG
And for the second year in a row, Joco07 and I were the first public riders of the year on Mr. Freeze, reverse blast. Not sure if that's a major accomplishment or not, but we are going with it is.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 070.JPG
This is listed as Corn Dog Stand 1, anyone know where Stand 2 is? There are 2 of them, we just couldn't find Stand 2. Very roller coaster tycoon like.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 073.JPG
It's back to school weekend!!! What?!?! Wait. It's March. hmmmmm
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 072.JPG
The day turned out to be quite nice, the park was busy.
Viewed 10744 times
SFOT 3.2.13 077.JPG
Adios from Texas. And if you like this report any at all, please kick me a few bucks to coasting for kids.

but wait....there's more!
Viewed 10744 times
part_1362338167387.jpg
on the way out of the parking lot....
Viewed 10626 times
part_1362338167448.jpg
we ran across some colorful pieces...
Viewed 10626 times
part_1362338167562.jpg
Yup, laddies and gents Texas Star Flyer has started to arrive!
Viewed 10626 times
part_1362338167632.jpg
Viewed 10626 times
sfot_3_28.jpg
I'm thinking this part goes into the ground somehow.
Viewed 10626 times
sfot_3_33.jpg
Or not
Viewed 10626 times
sfot_3_34.jpg
But when it gets down to it, who really cares?
Viewed 10626 times
sfot_3_35.jpg
Because the 400ft tall poop your pants Star Flyer is here!!
Viewed 10626 times
sfot_3_36.jpg
Praise be to Anton. Amen.
Viewed 10626 times
Last edited by chadster on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:01 pm.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby SFOverTexasFan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the update! Btw I'm pretty sure that me and my buddy were right behinde you waiting in line before Freeze opened cause we were also the first riders on Freeze for 2013 lol. I think y'all sit in the front while we chose the back. But anyways nice pics, and the park was looking good yesterday with all the work and new stands.
CHECK OUT MY NEW SFOT FAN PAGE ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/SfotFans

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby 1badgmc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 am

I was there yesterday. I honestly expected crowds to be much worse. It was chilly early in the day and the wind was sharp, but by mid afternoon it turned out to be pretty nice.

My wife and I took our 2 year-old daughter for her first time, so for us, the day was really all about her and we spent most of our time on flat rides. We have raised a little daredevil and she was a hard one to please. While she said she enjoyed every ride we took her on, it really took a lot to crack a smile from her on a ride. Her favorite rides were easily the Conquistador and Sombrero. We sat on the second row from the end on the Conquistador and she had an absolute blast on it. There was a boy on there that was probably 4 or 5 sitting in the middle freaking out. We had to laugh when his mom was all, "Look at that little girl there with her hands up ready to go." Of the 2 coasters she can ride, she preferred the Mini Mine Train over the Canyon Blaster.

As we worked our way back to the Texas section, we noticed that the line for Texas Giant wasn't bad, so we hopped in. My daughter fell asleep while we were in line, so the timing was great to give her a little nap. I rode first and when I got back to the station to do the hand-off, she had woken up and was wanting to ride it. I'm sure she'll love it when she gets the chance in a couple years. My wife and I both agreed that we needed that adrenaline kick it gave us.

Giant was the only big coaster we took in, and I was fine with that. It was all about my daughter on this trip, but I wasn't going to leave the park without at least one ride on it. It was great to see the magic of a child's first visit to an amusement park and it was really a great day for it. Looney Tunes Land wasn't the madhouse we usually experience and the lines for the rides we were on were all pretty short. It was a fun, relaxing day. We left around 5:00 and headed for dinner at one of our favorite places in south Arlington and then hit the road to come home.
IMG_0617.JPG
Did anyone else notice these stickers added to the ride signs?
Viewed 10709 times

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

Wowzers. Thankfully they weren't actually using the fingerprint readers.

Are they fingerprint readers or biometric readers? This is usually a common misconception when people go to Disney and they say "I can't believe they are taking my fingerprint", because that's actually not what they are doing. Just wasn't sure if it's the same case here or if for some reason they are actually taking your finger print at Six Flags!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!