TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Markey is a f**king moron. It's idiots like this in congress that makes the world a WORSE place to live and play. I could only read about 1/10 of it before I had to stop. I really hope that Disney has a politically correct way of telling him to piss off and throw his letter in the garbage bin where it belongs.

But at least he printed his letter on recycled paper.

That guy's an idiot. It's really no different than all the information all the companies all over the world currently collect. iTunes, cell phones, credit cards, cruises, shopping malls, tv, almost everything we do is used by the companies we do business with to collect our data. It's called marketing. He really does have a thing against the amusement park industry.

That guy's an idiot. It's really no different than all the information all the companies all over the world currently collect. iTunes, cell phones, credit cards, cruises, shopping malls, tv, almost everything we do is used by the companies we do business with to collect our data. It's called marketing. He really does have a thing against the amusement park industry.

If you want to be 100% fair, he is on the House Committee for Privacy, and he has numerous of similar statements and letters to companies like Microsoft, Yahoo, Instagram, Apple, Facebook, etc. Here's an article about how he wrote a letter to Steve Jobs about wanting answers about the iPhone's geotagging stuff:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/04/rep-ed-markey-wants-privacy-answers-from-steve-jobs-again/

This is completely consistent with his role. I know people want to call him an idiot shithead because he is an instigator and he proposed safety regulations 10+ years ago (that never went anywhere) but this letter to Disney is no different than anything else he's done in terms of privacy.

That does make more sense. It just odd that that a member of congress is requesting all this compliance information before anything has actually been implemented, and based 100% on a New York Times article. I understand it's just a request for information, but basing it solely on a newspaper article seems pretty bad to me. I would think they would have to wait for a complaint before they should even care.

That just seems so odd to me that they would start an investigation based on an newspaper article. I guess it's better than the business doing whatever they want, and only getting investigated after they broke laws, but it just seems odd to me. Oh well, nothing I can do about it!

I agree it comes across as weird, but on principle if something potentially raises a red flag, doesn't it make sense for the government to ask the company? Remove this particular congressperson and this particular company from the equation...Let's say a big car company is going to build a new factory near a river, and a congressperson who is on an environmental committee sends them a letter to ask specific questions about the factory's environmental compliance. There's nothing really wrong with that. Would you rather the river be polluted before someone takes notice?

It's basic watchdog committee stuff. I know there's particularly harsh sentiment towards Markey in this community, but everything that's happening in this particular instance seems like standard practice. It's only getting traction because there's a big name company attached to it.

I read most of the letter and I think the congressman just wants a better understanding on how the system works. Too many things have been speculated about what might happen instead of waiting to see how the system really works and what Disney does with it.

Iger responded to Markey...and it's awesome.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-bob-iger-magicband-congressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy/

January 28, 2013

The Honorable Edward Markey

2108 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Markey:

For 90 years, Disney has been synonymous with high-quality entertainment for families and children of all ages. We use creativity, innovation and technology to create memorable moments and experiences for our hundreds of millions of customers and guests. And, as you well know, Disney’s record and commitment to children’s safety and security and the protection of their privacy is exemplary. People around the world trust Disney and its products. That trust is the cornerstone of our company, and we take it very seriously.

We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk.

It is truly unfortunate and extremely disappointing that you chose to publicly attack us before taking the time to review our policies and/or contact us for information, which would have obviated the need for your letter. Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online at http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html and https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/privacy-policy/.

In the enclosed attachment, we address the questions in your letter about our new, yet-to-be­ launched program, MyMagic+. However, to ensure that you fully understand our practices as they pertain to children, and our commitment to our guests’ privacy, let me be clear and reiterate the basic facts.

MyMagic+ is a completely optional program that was designed with privacy controls from the outset. Disney does not use personal information to market to children under age 13, does not personalize or target advertisements to an individual child, and never shares children’s personal information with any third party for their marketing purposes. Additionally, parents have full control over their child’s participation in MyMagic+. We have transparent privacy practices, guests can control and limit the amount of information they provide to us — and how their information is used.

Further details are attached

Sincerely,

Robert A Iger

The next thing you know, people will be complaining that they can't get the exact shade of burnt turquoise that they want on their MagicBands.

I for one think it's awesome that I can use one of the MagicBands at a merchandise location. I know that back in 2011, I was searching all over the place for the 40th Anniversary messenger bag (I ended up going to eight locations before finding and grabbing one). If MyMagic+ was active back then and I was on a vacation, they could have totally scanned my MagicBand, searched for stock of the bag, held one for me at another location based on my RFID, and I could have enjoyed the rest of my day and picked up the bag before I went home!

• 4 weeks later...

Some new MyMagic+ details revealed for passholders in the most recent issue of the Mickey Monitor WDW Passholder magazine. Details include:

- Each Passholder will receive a MagicBand

- Passholders will be able to pre-select FastPass+ times

- Passholders will use My Disney Experience to update or add to your plans

- More info to come over the next few "months"

Personally, I'm psyched about all this!

image_365.thumb.jpg.3913f8a9fbfb16c0a0946588c6b439ca.jpg

image_366.thumb.jpg.fbd6cc1e34cdab74e74c384a6bbf5702.jpg

image_367.thumb.jpg.cbe2ea25d239c3db5f9caabd4883c41c.jpg

image_368.thumb.jpg.7a14e2b2bc4bbcc74676e29fc086548e.jpg

image_369.thumb.jpg.0e98960c9d61cb5fcd42d435776f115b.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

^Disney has no idea what they're doing and this NEW system will have so many bugs, it will be horrible.

All joking aside, I can't wait until the DLR gets this system. Thanks for the the update.

Edited by DJeXeL