TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Okay, thanks! I know at King's Dominion (outside of Richmond VA) usually has a spring break week where they are open during the week, so I wasn't sure if Six Flags did that as well. Thanks for the info!

Our Spring Break is in April, and SFOG is open on spring break, also FYI.

I'll be a little more optimistic. On my last visit this past October, I spotted several construction markings on GA Cyclone's track. I would think they are doing something. Why else would the boom lifts be there? Paint? For the record, that would be pretty nice, but it would be turd polishing without more topper track.

Okay, I know this has probably been asked numerous times in this thread, and I hate to ask it again, but I figured I'd ask around to see what the current opinion is amongst those who frequent this glorious park more than I. Though, I shouldn't be so absent in the park considering its proximity - we Alabamians consider SFOG our home park since Alabama Adventures decided to shoot itself in the foot, but prior to my last visit last August, I hadn't been since 2004. Sad panda is sad. However, now that I'm 22 and employed and have money (well, a little) I can change that easily!

Alas, I digress. A friend of mine from work has proposed (and already asked off work) that we go to the park on opening day, March 16th, maybe with my brother and a few friends. However, my search for information regarding the operating hours and days has proved futile thus far, so I'll ask here.

1: What kind of crowds can we expect on opening day? I've heard in this very thread that it's usually not that bad, but given SFOG's legendary status amongst Southerners down this way, I find that hard to fathom! I can take chilly weather (and of course, down South, it could be either 87* or 35* in mid-March) and slow operations, if crowds aren't bad. I'm a sucker for short lines. But who isn't?

2: Is the park going to be open the next day (Sunday March 17th) after opening day? We REALLY want to make it a 2-day trip, catching a night at a motel and returning the next day, but I have no idea if the park is open the day after opening Saturday. If it's open two days in a row I'll go ahead and buy a season pass when we get there, as we plan to go back in the fall again anyway. Also I was told that the 17th was St Patty's Day, so if that's the case, how will that affect crowds? Assuming, of course, it's open on the 17th.

3: What are the hours they usually offer for opening day? I assume the park opens at 10 and closes somewhere between 4, 6, and 8, but I honestly have no idea.

4: Are there rides that are usually still not operating until the season gets underway? Would hate to get there and find my favorite rides still being prepped for the 2013 season.

Sorry for the incredibly noob-ish line of questions; as I've only recently been working enough to afford trips to amusement parks, I've got a lot of work to do when planning these things in advance, ahaha.

FURTHERMORE. I note a lot of Georgia regulars here on TPR forums - assuming that this trip works out (my brother and I will still go even if the friend backs out, unless opening day is going to be a dreadful time to go) I expect I'll see a lot of jolly ole folks from this fine discussion place in the park that day?

1: What kind of crowds can we expect on opening day? I've heard in this very thread that it's usually not that bad, but given SFOG's legendary status amongst Southerners down this way, I find that hard to fathom! I can take chilly weather (and of course, down South, it could be either 87* or 35* in mid-March) and slow operations, if crowds aren't bad. I'm a sucker for short lines. But who isn't?

Normally opening day crowds are not too bad, but a lot really depends on the weather. The better the weather the more people who will come out. Now if you are doing something like getting a season pass, it is going to take a while because a lot of people will be doing that during the first weekend (I did my season pass during Fright Fest last year so I'm covered).

2: Is the park going to be open the next day (Sunday March 17th) after opening day? We REALLY want to make it a 2-day trip, catching a night at a motel and returning the next day, but I have no idea if the park is open the day after opening Saturday. If it's open two days in a row I'll go ahead and buy a season pass when we get there, as we plan to go back in the fall again anyway. Also I was told that the 17th was St Patty's Day, so if that's the case, how will that affect crowds? Assuming, of course, it's open on the 17th.

Unfortunatly, SFoG has not released their 2013 schedule yet (have no idea what is taking them so long). Normally the first weekend they are open Saturday and Sunday then will shut down until next weekend (they will though likely be open the whole week of spring break in early April)

3: What are the hours they usually offer for opening day? I assume the park opens at 10 and closes somewhere between 4, 6, and 8, but I honestly have no idea.

If it matches last year, they will open 10-8 on Saturday and 10:30-7 on Sunday. Obviously subject to change

4: Are there rides that are usually still not operating until the season gets underway? Would hate to get there and find my favorite rides still being prepped for the 2013 season.

The water rides will probably not be open at that time and the new skyscreamer may not be ready on opening day (the last email they sent mentioned early summer). Outside of that, the rest should be running. Obviously if Skyscreamer is ready to open on opening day that will affect crowds.

FURTHERMORE. I note a lot of Georgia regulars here on TPR forums - assuming that this trip works out (my brother and I will still go even if the friend backs out, unless opening day is going to be a dreadful time to go) I expect I'll see a lot of jolly ole folks from this fine discussion place in the park that day?

Unless something comes up, I plan to head out for opening day.

Thank you very much! Will be there

No problem. Anytime.

The one thing I would add is that if you are going to come for two days, you should look at a season pass. Normal admission is $50, but you can get a season pass for around $65 or a gold season pass at around $90 and both would save you money if you are coming for 2 days and then if you want to come back again during the season you're already covered. Just plan to get there early if you want to do that because the lines will probably be long for the season ticket place on opening day. Something to think about.

Unfortunatly, SFoG has not released their 2013 schedule yet (have no idea what is taking them so long). Normally the first weekend they are open Saturday and Sunday then will shut down until next weekend (they will though likely be open the whole week of spring break in early April)

They released the date for opening day; Saturday, March 16, so yes they will be open on the 17th.

Thinking about heading out to SFOG with my girlfriend from Orlando, FL about a month or so after opening day! I am planning on staying at the Wyndham since they have some pretty good specials as well as I can get a discount if it comes down to it + I heard its close to the park (within walking distance) which I can save those $20 on parking for something else!, Any tips? Suggestions?

Would it be worth visiting the park on a Monday? for example If we get to Georgia on a Sunday, check-in, and visit the park Monday in hopes of being able to enjoy it without the long lines especially since the drive is 6 hrs! lol maybe the days of 21-23rd, we'll both be off from work/school and can make this happen we'll have to return the 23rd so I doubt we'll be getting the season pass to visit the park twice, does this sound pretty reasonable to those who have experience SFOG frequently?

Opening day is March 16th and I haven't been able to check out pricing for tickets though it states General admission is $56, are there any online specials? or is that the online pricing as well? sucks that I might have to wait until then but I can definitely book ahead and purchase tix once they go on sale, am I gonna experience a headache doing this or should it be fine?

Restaurants nearby? I am not a fan of theme park food, (breakfast is covered) but how about for lunch can I exit the park and return w/o any issues if I please to do so?

Park Operations on a Monday?

Thanks in advance! Ill def appreciate the help

^Unfortunately SFoG will not be open on a Monday that early in the season. It's open weekends-only until about the end of May.

But, if you visit on a Sunday in April, I wouldn't expect the lines to be bad at all. Make sure to ride Superman early in the day; it gets the longest lines in the park. Easter is actually a very good un-crowded day to visit (March 31st this year).

The Wingate by Wyndham is the closest hotel to the park, and it is highly recommended.

It's easy enough to exit the park for lunch (just get a handstamp), but you will have to drive - there aren't really any restaurants close by and most of the stuff in the area is fast food.

Appreciate it very informative (Y)

I guess we'll resort to heading back to our room for some lunch!

So to get this right for the summer is when they are open for the week as well? Are they renovating or is this typical of Six flags (just curious)

How about the hours of operation for a Sunday? can you give me an idea?

Okay, I know this has probably been asked numerous times in this thread, and I hate to ask it again, but I figured I'd ask around to see what the current opinion is amongst those who frequent this glorious park more than I. Though, I shouldn't be so absent in the park considering its proximity - we Alabamians consider SFOG our home park since Alabama Adventures decided to shoot itself in the foot, but prior to my last visit last August, I hadn't been since 2004. Sad panda is sad. However, now that I'm 22 and employed and have money (well, a little) I can change that easily!

Alas, I digress. A friend of mine from work has proposed (and already asked off work) that we go to the park on opening day, March 16th, maybe with my brother and a few friends. However, my search for information regarding the operating hours and days has proved futile thus far, so I'll ask here.

Sorry for the incredibly noob-ish line of questions; as I've only recently been working enough to afford trips to amusement parks, I've got a lot of work to do when planning these things in advance, ahaha.

1. Crowds are EXTREMELY light from mid-March to late April, you'll have almost no problem dealing with crowds especially on opening day. You should still take advantage of being able to get there early, as the crowds on rides like BatClone and SuperClone can get some long lines later on in the day, no matter how long the rest of the rides lines are.

2.Yes, the park will be open the next day, Sunday, March 17, it is open on weekends from March to Late May/June

3. The park hasn't released park hours yet for some strange reason, but I would expect it to open around 11AM and close at 8PM on both days.

4. All rides will be open that day with the slight possibility the new ride for the season-SkyScreamer-will be open.

Furthermore, I will not be going, on opening day, but I would expect some fellow TPR-ers to be there.

Further-Furthermore, you should definintly go, SFOG has changed ALOT since 2004, and you might find some old and new suprises, especially with two days to visit the park, be sure to ride all the smaller coasters, (Canyon Blaster, Dalhonega Mine Train) and in the back seat, looks can decive you, these coasters can give a pretty fun ride, especially on Canyon Blaster, which provides forces in both the front and back seats on the first little dip that you REALLY don't expect.

EDIT: ^^ Easter's on March 31st this year!? What?! I do agree with you on the Easter crowds though, we go EVERY Easter for that reason.

Edited by Her0ofLime

Appreciate it very informative (Y)

I guess we'll resort to heading back to our room for some lunch!

So to get this right for the summer is when they are open for the week as well? Are they renovating or is this typical of Six flags (just curious)

How about the hours of operation for a Sunday? can you give me an idea?

Pretty normal. Weekends only from March thru may (except for spring break week when they open for the week) and then open during the week all summer and back to weekends around fright fest time in october.

Pretty much if school is in session they are only open on weekends. When school is out, they are open during the week.

I would somewhat disagree that opening day is not busy. The past two years opening day has been so insane that unless you want to stand in 1-2 hour lines then I would not suggest opening day. Maybe the 2nd weekend would be the better time to go. For the first time ever I am actually not planning on going opening day this year(and I only live 8 miles from the park) because of the last 2 years of insanity. Sunday afternoons until summer starts are actually a great time to go.

Only big change I see is that the park will be open for two weeks in April for spring break.

I saw the same thing when I was looking at the stone Mountain website not too long ago. Not sure why that is, but I find it interesting both places are doing the same thing. I don't have any kids, but I wonder if one or more school systems around the area changed which week they did spring break so they want to cover both weeks now.

Only big change I see is that the park will be open for two weeks in April for spring break.

I saw the same thing when I was looking at the stone Mountain website not too long ago. Not sure why that is, but I find it interesting both places are doing the same thing. I don't have any kids, but I wonder if one or more school systems around the area changed which week they did spring break so they want to cover both weeks now.

Cobb and Fulton County schools are out for spring break on different weeks. Hopefully this will become the norm for years to come.