TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Aww, man someone brought that up again!?!

When this ride opens Knott's will have 10 coasters... how many more do they need? That is more per acre than Magic Mountain and only 5 less than Cedar Point, which is over double the size...

I think what they are doing with Timber Mountain is a hint at what we can expect from this park in the future, and hopefully the other parks in the chain will be able to learn something from it.

Is it me or does it seem like a GIGA could still be built in the back of the park? There seems to be few supports for the Coast Rider wild mouse, and could a first drop underneath the mouse be possible?

Every time someone mentions Knott's building a Giga coaster, a baby rabbit gets run over by a compact SUV.

Is it me or does it seem like a GIGA could still be built in the back of the park? There seems to be few supports for the Coast Rider wild mouse, and could a first drop underneath the mouse be possible?

Every time someone mentions Knott's building a Giga coaster, a baby rabbit gets run over by a compact SUV.

So you're saying that rabbits went extinct?

GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER!

I hate rabbits! Between them and the moles, they keep giving my dogs worms.

Guy - You're doing it wrong!!!!

Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER!

GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER! GIGACOASTER!

I hate rabbits! Between them and the moles, they keep giving my dogs worms.

Guy - You're doing it wrong!!!!

Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER! Knott's is building a GIGACOASTER!

Thank you for correcting me.

KNOTT'S IS BUILDING A GIGACOASTER! KNOTT'S IS BUILDING A GIGACOASTER! KNOTT'S IS BUILDING A GIGACOASTER! KNOTT'S IS BUILDING A GIGACOASTER!

There! I think I just killed a litter.

While I know the park could get one and make it fit somehow, I don't see Knott's getting a giga coaster in the near future (aka in the next ten years). A mega coaster I could see, or a similarly sized ride, but I think anything larger than that is probably not going to happen just because it wouldn't be the right fit for the park. Based on what the park is getting this year and the way the new Cedar Fair management is going, I think they realize Knott's is more than a thrill park and will take that into consideration when planning future additions.

Honestly, if I were to guess, I'd say the next coaster at the park will be a replacement for Timberline Twister, then a replacement for Boomerang after that. Maybe once those two are done they'll start considering replacing Bigfoot Rapids and/or something else with the next major coaster, but it's probably close to 10 years away. Personally, I'd value a topper track makeover of GhostRider more than a giant new coaster, at least at the moment.

Knott's is kind of in line for 2015 with the current 5-year plan as I thought they said the major parks were going to rotate with what the headline attraction for the company is going to be for that year. What that could be is anyone's guess but it's going to be on the high-side of investment.

Now a hyper coaster I can see happening. Something similar to Skyrush would be nice, small footprint but packs a big punch. Even if the park doesn't have a clearing for it, it can go over stuff. Hersheypark for example, they managed to fit Skyrush in right next to their oldest wooden coaster without taking that down. Google Maps actually has an updated view with Skyrush installed. Quite interesting how it's kind of wedged in there.

Knott's is kind of in line for 2015 with the current 5-year plan as I thought they said the major parks were going to rotate with what the headline attraction for the company is going to be for that year. What that could be is anyone's guess but it's going to be on the high-side of investment.

Now a hyper coaster I can see happening. Something similar to Skyrush would be nice, small footprint but packs a big punch. Even if the park doesn't have a clearing for it, it can go over stuff. Hersheypark for example, they managed to fit Skyrush in right next to their oldest wooden coaster without taking that down. Google Maps actually has an updated view with Skyrush installed. Quite interesting how it's kind of wedged in there.

I really doubt that Knott's would be going with Intamin with their new coaster. They had lots of troubles with Intamin rides (Xcelerator's cable, Perilous Plunge's down-time, Sky Cabin getting stuck midway). What I could see is a B&M hyper with colors like brown track and black supports and replacing Bigfoot Rapids. Plus, B&M hypers are more out and back while Intamin hypers have more of a "twister layout". B&M's out and back layout is a lot more space saving.

What I could see is a B&M hyper with colors like brown track and black supports and replacing Bigfoot Rapids.

I highly doubt Knott's will remove Bigfoot Rapids. They already removed one water ride, and with the extreme California heat in the summers, water rides are essential. If Bigfoot Rapids got removed, all Knott's would have is the TMLR. I understand that they have Soak City next door, but people like to ride water rides without paying extra for another park. I think the only place we have hope for KBF's hyper coaster is between Bigfoot Rapids and Ghost Rider. Fiesta Village and Boardwalk are both tight on space, and Ghost Town is the only area where they could possible fit a B&M Hyper. As long as they have a place for the station, transfer tracks, and queue, they can raise the entire layout and put it anywhere.

I highly doubt Knott's will remove Bigfoot Rapids. They already removed one water ride, and with the extreme California heat in the summers, water rides are essential. If Bigfoot Rapids got removed, all Knott's would have is the TMLR.

Lets be honest here. California has some of the easiest summers in the country. Go somewhere were they have heat AND humidity, then tell me the heat during California's summer is "extreme." Also, this isn't inconceivable; you have Disneyland just down the street hosting almost 17 million visitors a year with only Splash Mountain (DCA only has Grizzly). Also there is Universal, where you only have Jurassic Park. It's not like a major park would suddenly fail if they only have one water ride, especially one in California.

All that said, I don't think they will get ride of a popular attraction that is still well within it's operational lifetime to build this mythical B&M Hyper that everyone keeps bringing up.

You don't actually get wet on TMLR.

Since Knott's is limited on space, it's easy to pick on the rapids ride because it takes up a lot of land, but I think it's a valuable ride to have in the summer. I don't have any idea how long of a line it normally has, but with my cousin not really liking heights (roller coasters) it's one of his favorite rides there. I'm sure there are other people out there that feel the same way.

That location also probably has the biggest concerns to height and noise with the houses right there.

Having said that, I don't think Knott's past problems with Intamin would have any effect on them working with Intamin in the future. They are owned by Cedar Fair now after all.

^ I agree about Intamin. Cedar Fair has had a great relationship with Intamin; and with them paying the bills, the parks get what the parks get. The parks do typically have a say in the additions to the park, but the final decision comes from the people writing the check.

But, if it does comes down to whether they build and Intamin or a B&M, I have trouble seeing a negative.

I went to visit the park today (February 7th, 2013) for a few hours after class (yay for a one class day ending at 11:00 A.M.) and it was about as dead as I've ever seen it. The parking lot appeared to have around 50 cars in it plus 20 or so school buses. Even though every coaster except Sierra Sidewinder was only running one train (and that rarely loaded the second one), a quarter of the seats were empty on almost every run that I saw (unless the school groups were riding). Basically, if it is possible for the rides to have shorter lines than they do during a WCB ERT session, they did today.

I've got some pictures of the current state of things, but here are a few notes:

-WINDSEEKER LIVES! Okay, it isn't open yet, but the ride was moving up and down the tower with maintenance personnel on the platform. According to a ride operator, it should be operating again by the end of the month.

-The same operator said that Boomerang (currently closed for repainting) should be reopened in time for spring break, and that the new attractions would reopen at the same time as Timber Mountain Log Ride.

-GhostRider is closed for track work. The website says it will reopen on February 16th.

-Several other small rides were closed. However, almost everything that wasn't in maintenance was running even if nobody was riding.

-Lines were non-existant except for the Calico Mine Ride and whatever school groups happened to be riding. Even the front seat of Xcelerator was only a one train wait.

-There are several path closures in the park currently, especially in the Boardwalk and Ghost Town.

-Ride Count: Twice each on Montezooma's Revenge, Sierra Sidewinder, and Xcelerator, once on Jaguar!, Pony Express, Silver Bullet, Sky Cabin, Supreme Scream, and Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars

-Time in park: Just over two hours

Pictures:

Entrance.JPG.5d4bb2ad89187375202c02357de60ccc.JPG

Time for my second visit to Knott's this year. I'll be visiting every few weeks until the new rides open to watch construction.

276296324_ClosedRides.JPG.68c69cf2009362e27a023e5a6eb11bde.JPG

Today's closed rides. Not too bad, and nothing unexpected either.

946852160_SchoolGroup.JPG.6a54eed147801098d410cf8fe175987b.JPG

One of the school groups in the park. I saw several throughout the day.

914059804_HighSierraFerrisWheel.JPG.75fba53f978376e42add02d0bdaf3ad8.JPG

Wait, this wasn't on the closed ride list. Maybe we just need to wait it out.

Windseeker.JPG.68af2dd9646bc611bc1cd1d15e87f2e0.JPG

When I was over riding Montezooma's Revenge, this was parked on the ground. By the time I got to Xcelerator, it had risen. This is the first activity I've seen on the attraction in months.

367624282_Boomerang1.JPG.f45d343d85a299724b634ec5ae6df1a9.JPG

Workers were cleaning off the track of Boomerang with a hose.

1105284520_Boomerang3.JPG.ea76626e2a3bf9f0483b68a161dacaad.JPG

Some of the old paint showing through.

190359721_Construction4.JPG.25088ed266065f5aea1696f33cf428d1.JPG

A peek into the construction site. It now encompasses the entire back portion of the Boardwalk, so to walk from Xcelerator to Johnny Rockets you must go around the Calico Mine Ride.

825432517_Construction5.JPG.59c52569324de31603189cb03e7171ec.JPG

Last time I visited, there were just holes back here. Now, many of the footers for Coast Rider are filled and they are working on the rest.

2008290636_Construction6.JPG.35b99b230fba5acab1b988fb44bf0be1.JPG

The other end of the construction zone. Surfside Gliders should be right about where that pile of dirt is.

259036523_Construction8.JPG.e1c73e7c0011bdfbe7c1505e6fe7c24a.JPG

Pacific Scrambler should be just about here.

983230677_Construction7.JPG.fafbf961c574632de279e72fb90192a7.JPG

The games have been completely removed and a new path is being built.

Riptide.JPG.f30053c553619ba24f71d0946a2f0485.JPG

On an unrelated note, Riptide is now open for your head-over-heels needs.

2114011033_TimberMountainLogRide5.JPG.2e305171bb63962edf918cbfe5c5e626.JPG

A look at Timber Mountain Log Ride. Some of the trees have been removed from the mountain, probably for replacement.

17727358_TimberMountainLogRide6.JPG.09877e34373a5f0e569bb1cda19a198a.JPG

There were five or six people working in the flume here. Probably doing fiberglass repair or something like that.

IMG_2740.JPG.167c1d25a37e31d6f010aa6f00c68cf1.JPG

I'll be sure to do that.

Stagecoach.JPG.7568789c34cf9d6131936b5538a3399a.JPG

How often is the line for the Stagecoach this short? I usually see it closed or with a nearly full queue.

1355186638_ClosedPath.JPG.3c282de6d133b034d36651e49f23e5a3.JPG

The walkway between the candy shop and the glass blower is now closed.

688263027_OpenPath.JPG.cde4c4e0e7a48aaef09819f2de02c09f.JPG

The one leading back to Pony Express, however, has reopened.

763433928_EmptyWalkways.JPG.0ee745c94d3c31cbbf93bff266e4b305.JPG

Either everyone is wearing an invisibility cloak or there is nobody at the park today.

Museum.JPG.78a9771c6e106e28732ec668a185b1a5.JPG

Although many people complain about Cedar Fair's changes to Knott's, it still has a number of unique diversions. I can't remember the last time I went in here.

1226346013_SilverBulletTrain.JPG.022ea0e0abe212ce6e4f11b1b343ed40.JPG

Don't expect to see two train operation on Silver Bullet anytime soon.

GhostRider.JPG.88b674da3b55f97efe529d1067d5a5db.JPG

As I was walking out to my car, I saw these guys doing track work on GhostRider. It was running really well a month ago, so hopefully this continues to improve it.

I too saw Windseeker doing some testing earlier today while driving by the park. This is good news because it means they may very well be getting closer to re-opening. On a side note, in the field across the street by the park, north of Xcelerator, there was plenty of cement they were smashing and sending away on trucks. Also, I saw purple railings too in a trash pile from Boomerang's perimeter fence. Lots of work and progress going on in the park it seems.

Straying a bit off topic to ask a question: Do you guys think that Jaguar is any good? I haven't ridden it in ages and (for some reason) it was still in my Top 30 Steel Coasters list.

Its a fine family ride, but unless you've only ridden 30 coasters, it shouldn't be in your top 30!