The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby UberBeavis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Stagecoach reopened.

Stagecoach rides were canceled for the remainder of the day on Sunday, but resumed Monday because Knott's keeps a fleet of several coaches.

"We have five original stagecoaches and one replica," Blazey said, with some of the originals more than 100 years old. "We've modernized these and added safety features so that they have hydraulic brakes and rubber on the wheels."

Park maintenance personnel are examining the damaged coach to see exactly what went wrong. That coach was one that park founder Walter Knott bought years ago after it was used as a movie prop, Blazey said.

Like other rides at the park, the stagecoaches get inspected daily before the public arrives, Blazey said.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote: KBF most likely will not get a giga coaster because of the space limits.

This couldn't be further from the truth. If Knotts wants a giga coaster, trust me on this, they will MAKE room! But the question really is if they want one or not.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:26 pm

^^ I was at Knotts today, and was surprised that the stage coach was running. :wtf: I figured this would be another undetermined closing of a ride. I don't ride it, but it's good it was back for families.

The park was moderately busy today. Montezuma's Revenge was down more than up today. I was there last night for for their New Years Eve celebration. It was getting too cold for me, but yes the park was beautiful. Especially the kids area with the lights and decorations. They had live DJ's with different music at different locations in the park. The stage near Jaguar had a DJ playing Spanish / Hispanic music. The main stage by the train station had a great DJ mixing dance music that I enjoyed. If it was only warmer for this "Florida freeze baby" I would've stayed until close.
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

Postby Wes » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

With a ride as far from high tech as it gets, I'm sure inspecting the Stagecoaches isn't as daunting of a task as Windseeker or whatever. Probably went like:
"That one's wheel busted."
"Yup."

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby gforce1994 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Oh stagecoach...... I thought the wheel came off of the Pony Express ride! Maybe I misheard it.
Top Coasters in America:
1. Bizarro 2. El Toro 3. Beast
4. Former Son of Beast (No Joke- if you got the right seat!)
5. New Texas Giant

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I was at the park today and the Stagecoach did re-open. It was running fine and I didn't see any modifications.

Also, I give props to the Montezooma crew for timing the launch to make Jaguar thread the loop while Monte's train is on the loop. I saw it happen a few times today including my ride on Jaguar.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 am

DJeXeL wrote:Perilous was never open during haunt so the park would normally just take it down for rehab 1st/2nd week of September as soon as Summer was over.

They used to keep it open during Haunt. Mischievous clowns may or may not have had super soakers on the return to the station. :lol:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 am

I rode Perilous Plunge once. The drop was pretty intense for a water ride, but I never rode it again because of the awful cycle times. I don't think I even took pictures of it. Every time I wanted to get pictures of it I would get too annoyed by how long the cycle times took.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:33 am

Jew wrote:
DJeXeL wrote:Perilous was never open during haunt so the park would normally just take it down for rehab 1st/2nd week of September as soon as Summer was over.

They used to keep it open during Haunt. Mischievous clowns may or may not have had super soakers on the return to the station. :lol:

You're absolutely correct. I was an operator when said clowns were doing that!! ;)
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 am

I didn't see this posted over the last few days, might have fallen through the cracks, but holy crap!

Buena Park, CA – One of the oldest log flume rides in the country will be the beneficiary of a multi-million dollar refurbishment and restoration project that will begin this January. The classic attraction, which opened at Knott’s Berry Farm in 1969, remains as one of the most elaborate log flume rides in the U.S.

The $3.5 million attraction was originally funded entirely by its designer Bud Hurlbut who had previously designed Knott’s Berry Farm’s classic Calico Mine Ride. Hurlbut, a pioneer in the theme park attraction industry, wanted his flume ride to be a completely immersive experience. The Calico Log Ride, as it was originally named, takes guests through an 85-foot-high by 330-foot-long mountain range themed to a nineteenth-century lumber camp. The ride, housed in an eight-story building, includes 24,000 gallons of water that circulates free floating logs past a variety of mechanical figures and taxidermied animals culminating in a forty-two-foot free fall.

The much anticipated attraction opened in July 11, 1969 with screen legend John Wayne taking the inaugural ride. The Knott’s Timber Mountain Log Ride remains the most popular ride in the park, surpassing all of Knott’s other attractions in ridership.

“The Timber Mountain Log Ride not only embodies the spirit of Knott’s Berry Farm, but it also set the bar for all themed attractions that came after,” says Raffi Kaprelyan, Knott’s general manager who worked for Bud Hurlbut from 1979-1983. “Bud Hurlbut made numerous contributions to Knott’s Berry Farm, but I think that the Timber Mountain Log Ride remains his crowning achievement.”

Garner Holt Productions of San Bernardino will assist in the revitalization project that is expected to take five months. Garner Holt is the world’s largest designer and manufacturer of animatronics for theme parks, museums, dining and retail locations and has built nearly 3,000 animatronic figures and hundreds of animated props and show action systems. Garner Holt will work with the Knott’s team to upgrade all the ride figures and sets as well as add new scenes and characters to enhance the ride experience while still maintaining the original theming and storyline of the attraction.

Link
img_2490__custom__281.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!