TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

There's also the possibility that there have been some liability issues/lawsuits behind the scenes as well. It seems that at several points in HFEC history there have been sudden changes in attractions or even closures because the company has renegotiated their insurance policy or has been hit with a lawsuit. See the removal of the backwards cars on TNT, closure of the rope nets at SDC and DW, removal of all the climbing nets and slides (at one point), etc...

I don't know - if that was the case, wouldn't we be seeing all of the other Prime Play ropes courses (like Ghostly Gangplank at Nickelodeon Universe) being removed as well?

I agree with most on here. Adventure Mountain was for sure one of the highlights of my trip to Dollywood this past spring.

It is themed very well, and was suprisingly fun (coming from a 24 year old) lol. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

This seems...odd. I have not been to the park since this was added, but from everything I read it seemed like it was a very popular attraction. I cannot imagine why they would suddenly close/remove it, unless perhaps it's to expand it in some way. Will be interested in getting more information about this.

dt

If true, this would be devastating news to my family. We all love this attraction!

I must say, that the wording is very nonspecific in the release. It says the Adventure Mountain area, not in place of Adventure Mountain. There is a lot of space in that area of the park. I am truly hoping they only have to close Adventure Mountain because they are building something new in the area. And they are concerned that people might either be in harms way during construction, or may see some of it's one of a kind thingies, and blow the surprise.

Guy "I'm still wondering what's going to replace Timber Tower?" Koepp

Put me down as another very big fan of Adventure Mountain (and I was also a ropes-course noob until I tried it this summer). I wonder if guest surveys didn't rank it very highly. I seem to recall that they did spend a fair amount of money on it, in the millions? Or am I misremembering? It DOES take up a fairly large footprint. Hmmm.

There's also the possibility that there have been some liability issues/lawsuits behind the scenes as well. It seems that at several points in HFEC history there have been sudden changes in attractions or even closures because the company has renegotiated their insurance policy or has been hit with a lawsuit. See the removal of the backwards cars on TNT, closure of the rope nets at SDC and DW, removal of all the climbing nets and slides (at one point), etc...

I don't know - if that was the case, wouldn't we be seeing all of the other Prime Play ropes courses (like Ghostly Gangplank at Nickelodeon Universe) being removed as well?

Not if they have a different insurance contract. If a park can save a few million over a couple of years or so by removing an attraction and getting a better insurance deal, I could see them going for it. That's just speculation though, I don't really know how the industry works for them.

I still think they're just remodeling AM to be more cost-effective and efficient, maybe tying in some new elements to make a bigger and better attraction.

I can't imagine that we're seeing Adventure Mountain down for the count for good.

I'll go with the theory that it'll be closed due to either construction or modifications, rather than being closed for good. And even if this is the end of Adventure Mountain, I can't imagine why they wouldn't bring it back in some form or another down the line.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

On another note, I wanted to address something that I've heard a lot of people discussing regarding Wild Eagle. Yeah, the layout seems like a more traditional B&M Layout, and may not be as unique (in terms of layout) as the other Wingriders, but there's one key difference. Wild Eagle has one of the lowest height requirements B&M has for a coaster, 50 inches. This would explain why the ride has done so well in a family crowd compared to other parks.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I just keep hearing people grumbling about the ride, and it doesn't seem at all fair.

I must say, that the wording is very nonspecific in the release. It says the Adventure Mountain area, not in place of Adventure Mountain. There is a lot of space in that area of the park. I am truly hoping they only have to close Adventure Mountain because they are building something new in the area.

Just spoke with Pete Owens, he did confirm that Adventure Mountain is being *REMOVED* - he did also say this - "We are removing Adventure Mountain to make room for the 2014 attraction. I think when we are done folks will love the attraction."

I think many of us trust Dollywood and Herschend with their decisions, so in this case, I can't imagine they would be removing such a recent, big investment unless they had something they felt really strongly about up their sleeves.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

EDIT - Pete sent me the press release:

dollywood.jpg.08e117187a1e8106ce3b62d2e1e1a437.jpgPIGEON FORGE, Tenn., On the heels of five Golden Ticket Awards, including Best Shows and Best New Attraction, Dollywood announces an exciting new addition for 2013 and plans for a new major family attraction in 2014. Imagination Cinema will become a 500 seat venue for a new Dolly family show. Plans for 2014 are under way for a one-of-a-kind attraction on the Adventure Mountain site.

“When your business grows, it is important to evaluate and improve the experiences you provide to your guests,” Craig Ross, Dollywood President said. “For 2013, we’re excited about Dolly’s new family show and its new venue. Our guests will start to see construction activity for the new 2014 attraction as soon as the park opens next season Family are going to be thrilled and excited about the new additions. They’ll be like nothing you’ve seen before.”

Imagination Cinema and Adventure Mountain will not reopen for the 2013 season to accommodate preparations for the new 2013 and 2014 additions.

Peter Owens

Senior Public Relations Manager

Edited by robbalvey

The only thing I can think of is that they're removing it to add one twice the size with the silent safety lines?!!??

I seriously don't get it. I don't care if they put a megalite in its place, this was such a great attraction, I'm just really lost! KT is furious! It was one of her favorite attractions.

Edited by SharkTums

Well so much for that theory then, the only idea I'm left with is that something happened either behind the scenes or under the radar to make them think it was too risky/expensive to keep open. I can't imagine them needing this specific space for anything... but who knows. It wasn't long ago SDC removed the Waterboggin without warning and without replacing it with anything immediately as well. Rumors there were that there were more injuries happening than one would expect because people kept sticking their feet out the sides of the raft or such. I could see there being a lot of twisted ankles or something AM. It really doesn't take much for the costs of litigation to make an attraction too expensive to keep open. I'm surprised a lot of things are still open when you can sue over things like a scrapped knee when you trip over your own two feet...

I'm sure whatever they put in for 2014 will be amazing, but this is still lame.

Last night I tweeted, "Someone please tell me the rumor of @Dollywood removing Adventure Mountain is false! You can't remove it when its been open for only 2 years"

And Dollywood responded to it an hour ago saying, "@Dollywood: Adventure Mountain is closing at the end of 2012 to make way for the NEW 2014 attraction. More details coming in March 2013. @athletekim"

It sounds like it will only be closed for 2013 from this. I guess we have to wait a few more months to get the complete details on the 2014 attraction.

Put me on the list of the disappointed here. Without a doubt the best attraction I've ever experienced in a park that really isn't a "ride". I would love to see something similar to this put where Timber Tower was (it would fit in nicely there on that hill too)... but since they're removing this one after 3 seasons, I doubt that will even happen.

This just confuses me so much, because I really don't see anything too too major for 2014 as Dolly said something in an interview along the lines of "take the next couple years easy" when discussing Wild Eagle. Any lawsuit discussion doesn't make much sense either because it says at the end of the 2012 season it will close down, when if they were getting sued or there was a serious injury, I would think the attraction would be closed immediately.

Last night I tweeted, "Someone please tell me the rumor of @Dollywood removing Adventure Mountain is false! You can't remove it when its been open for only 2 years"

And Dollywood responded to it an hour ago saying, "@Dollywood: Adventure Mountain is closing at the end of 2012 to make way for the NEW 2014 attraction. More details coming in March 2013. @athletekim"

It sounds like it will only be closed for 2013 from this. I guess we have to wait a few more months to get the complete details on the 2014 attraction.

Did you miss this? I guess you could say they could remove it, then put it back in after the new attraction is built, but that would be pretty extreme.

I must say, that the wording is very nonspecific in the release. It says the Adventure Mountain area, not in place of Adventure Mountain. There is a lot of space in that area of the park. I am truly hoping they only have to close Adventure Mountain because they are building something new in the area.

Just spoke with Pete Owens, he did confirm that Adventure Mountain is being *REMOVED* - he did also say this - "We are removing Adventure Mountain to make room for the 2014 attraction. I think when we are done folks will love the attraction."

I think many of us trust Dollywood and Herschend with their decisions, so in this case, I can't imagine they would be removing such a recent, big investment unless they had something they felt really strongly about up their sleeves.

Edited by jray21

Did you miss this? I guess you could say they could remove it, then put it back in after the new attraction is built, but that would be pretty extreme.

I did miss that somehow, my bad. I was using my phone to make that comment at the time and it must of not loaded everything from the previous page when I checked.

As Robb said we just have to wait until they make an announcement sometime next year.

No where does it say Adventure Mountain is being removed. It seems like its just a temporary closing due to near by construction

Except that I just posted this on the preview page:

And it's been re-posted... TWICE on this page! (scroll up, dude!)

Seriously, people... all we ask is that you please READ the thread before you post!

Edited by robbalvey

It is curious that Lance mentioned the train loop and its proximity to Adventure Mountain's location. Perhaps, the new attraction somehow utilizes Adventure Mountain's spot and the train loop?

Pete pretty much shot this idea down in an interview. He said it's a good expansion spot, but not for 2014. He also said that the new attraction will take over AMs spot but some of the infrastructure may be reused, the new attraction is for familys, and the decision to put it in AMs spot is based off of the size of the new attraction as well as how it would allow them to expand outward in the coming years.

Edited by robbalvey

I loved Adventure Mountain on my visit this year. Pretty rare attraction and included in park admission it was lots of fun, a good way to kill some time, and quite a workout. I guess the ride could be a bit of a problem for maintenance as well as the amount of staffing required, but it definitely seemed popular. I wish they'd be able to save it and move it elsewhere in the park or even over to the waterpark, but I doubt it. Glad I had a chance to experience it when I did.

Never been to Dollywood, but not getting this decision... It looks like a fun unique attraction. And relativity new.

If they are sending it to another property, Darien Lake please.

Edit: It will really sad if the removal was due to "sue happy America."

Never been to Dollywood, but not getting this decision... It looks like a fun unique attraction. And relativity new.

If they are sending it to another property, Darien Lake please.

Edit: It will really sad if the removal was due to "sue happy America."

Yeah, it's going over like a turd in the punch bowl. Someone must have broke a sweat or used a muscle other than the ass.