TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2012 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

Hey guys! It's that time of year again that all coaster and theme park geeks look forward to like its Christmas... it's IAAPA Trade Show time! Like always, TPR will be reporting live from the show floor throughout the entire event, so be sure to check back often for photos of the new hotness from the amusement park industry!

We will be updating this thread throughout the day, but if you want to follow all the action live, be sure to follow us on the TPR Twitter and Facebook pages:

http://www.facebook.com/themeparkreview

Now, how about some photos?!?!

It's time for IAAPA 2012!

And of course TPR is there to bring you live updates all day!

IAAPA001.jpg.7489b42e188605d553811199c0aed3e5.jpg

Show floor almost open! GET EXCITED!!!

IAAPA002.jpg.0eb178465fe3c2eea21ea158ac95750f.jpg

Check out Zierer's IAAPA booth!

IAAPA003.jpg.7b8b0e1c794f332e5c3633edad72d25f.jpg

Zamperla has a full Air Race set up!

IAAPA004.jpg.0ec6b056d41963a25f62967afef66694.jpg

Great Coasters' booth has gone model crazy this year!

IAAPA005.thumb.jpg.31cfe6d1c4407428e0bfb25df8cc7e77.jpg

S&S has a new ride vehicle on display!

IAAPA006.jpg.a33943d29b2756296be2f8decc56761c.jpg

Always nice to see TPR footage on the show floor!

IAAPA007.thumb.jpg.9d65d652f4db48185179b7f393dbda68.jpg

Whitewater has a nice FlowRider display.

Lot's more to come so be sure to check back all day. And POST YOUR COMMENTS NOW!!!!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More from IAAPA 2012! GCI announces a Wooden Shuttle Coaster! New info from Sea World's Antarctica attraction! Check it out!

At the show floor, Great Coasters announced Back Track - a woodie shuttle!

B&M shows off the awesome trains for the new Wing Rider at Ocean Kingdom in China!

Here's our crew for the SeaWorld media event starting soon!

Waiting for an unveiling of some sort... More details from Antarctica it seems!

SeaWorld was happy to show off some penguins and the Antarctica ride vehicle!

Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin will feature multiple ride paths as chosen by riders during the new experience!

Mike Boos presents a penguin up close for us to interact with!

Another look at the ride's vehicle...

Wondering how you'd get into the vehicle? Here's the answer!

Click HERE for Part 2 of our IAAPA Coverage!

Edited by robbalvey

The SeaWorld ride vehicle looks great. I'm looking forward to this attraction quite a bit. I also like GCI's wooden shuttle concept, as it sounds like a good way to two different experiences from the same ride (and I miss how they used to run one side of Rebel Yell backward at Kings Dominion).

Edited by cfc

I was wondering how long it was going to take for a wooden shuttle coaster to pop up. I would've thought Gravity Group would've been first out of the gate but GCI has proven themselves in their "traditional" woodies so I'm excited to see one built. Did they happen to mention if any interest has been shown by any parks?

^I'm wondering that as well. Similar to Vekoma's Boomerang maybe?

Back track was interesting..wondering what mechanics are involved with having a train travel up the chain lift and then roll backwards, since from the video it looks like theyre using traditional (looking) chain lifts rather than catch-cars.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the video for accuracy on the lift mechanism--they're just trying to get the concept and ride experience across.

^^^^Would it be too simple to assume that it just take one chain dog installed normally on one end of the train and one chain dog installed in reverse on the other end?

Either way this looks like a great concept for any park's kids section. I'm sure the layout is customizable to fit small plots of land and it is probably available at a slightly lower price point than a full circuit model.

I'm kind of interested to see how "big" GCI is willing to go with this concept, the prototype is clearly more of a family coaster but is a much larger crazier version possible?

I was wondering how long it was going to take for a wooden shuttle coaster to pop up. I would've thought Gravity Group would've been first out of the gate but GCI has proven themselves in their "traditional" woodies so I'm excited to see one built. Did they happen to mention if any interest has been shown by any parks?

^I'm wondering that as well. Similar to Vekoma's Boomerang maybe?

Now all I'm waiting for is a launched woodie and an inverted one. So cool to see that wooden coaster companies are really pushing the envolope of what is possible with a wooden structure.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the video for accuracy on the lift mechanism--they're just trying to get the concept and ride experience across.
Well sure, thats why I said "traditional looking chain lift" I understand its just a concept video, but surely if they were using something like a catch car that would be shown..Im wondering if it will be a chain that lowers or a gear that lets go...

Backtrack is a neat concept. Smaller footprint, Nostalgia of a woody and the tameness for a good all of the family ride. A park like Silver Dollar City would be idea for a ride like this considering it'll still be without a traditional non inversion woodie. Outlaw Run will not appeal to all of the park's patrons. Likely GP pleaser but not a hit with enthusiasts.

Am I the only one who doesn't like shuttle coasters? --- That being said, GCI is one of the more "TPR friendly" companies and they have built some of my favorite coasters.. So I mean no disrespect, I'm just pretty sure I hate shuttle coasters.

I don't care for Boomerangs, but I like Premier launched shuttles. Back Track looks like a pretty good concept to me, but shuttles aren't to everyone's taste.

Want more photos??? Well, here you go! Intamin, B&M, S&S and Outlaw Run trains! Check it out!

Yay, Intamin!

Always nice to see our footage at the Intamin booth!

Jake made a new friend at the SeaWorld event!

About to interview Brian Morrow to find out even more details about Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin.

B&M have changed up their booth this year!

S&S have announced a new concept based on the "free fly" roller coaster!

Outlaw Run is the topic of today's event at the Rocky Mountain Coasters booth!

Herschend CEO Joel Manby is here for today's presentation!

Outlaw Run is the 2nd fast wooden coaster on the planet with the steepest drop & the only one with inversions!

Herschend CEO Joel Manby shares his excitement for Outlaw Run!

Founder of Rocky Mountain Coasters Fred Grubb explains the background behind this up and coming company!

Here's the unveiled train!

Here is a close-up of the new Outlaw Run trains!

And how about a close-up of Outlaw Run wheels?!?

Click HERE for part three of our IAAPA 2012 coverage!

Edited by robbalvey