TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I really want to know why anyone would "hate" RFID. Is it because Walt never used it?

Seriously, what is there to complain about here? Touch screens are amazing, you can make sure your order is right and you don't have to speak to anyone. And then your food gets delivered to you? Yes, this is just horrible. Prisoners are now laughing at the horrid conditions guests at this restaurant must withstand.

I would say I'm shocked at what people complain about, but then it's a Disney park, so I should just more or less expect complaining...

dt

As long as it's faster and easier, I'm all for it. I like that they seat you even though it's somewhat of a quick service restaurant during lunch. It reminds me of Tokyo Disneyland Resort style quick service restaurants. It's so much better because you don't have a bunch of terrible humans taking all the tables to just sit down and rest, leaving no tables available for those who are actually eating. I do like touch screens, but there are few things more frustrating than idiots who have no clue how they work and cannot decide what they want. Hopefully they will have a 'frequent user' line! Also, I would love to see it linked to the smartphone app so you could just order it outside, and have it all ready when you walk in!

Edited by jray21

RFID/NFC technology is great. Really simplifies everything. It's definitely the future of all hotels/restaurants/payment/etc. Great move by Disney being at the forefront of the movement in the theme park industry!

The Clipper Card (commuter card) here in the Bay Area is RFID and works for almost every public transit service in the area. It is way more convenient, i don't even have to pull my card out of my wallet, just tap and go. I get pretty annoyed when I have to wait for someone to stick the paper ticket in the turnstile getting in and out of BART, it's so much quicker with the RFID (especially when you are running to catch a train or late getting to work).

I'm probably going to eat at the restaurant just so I can use the rose thing. Seems pretty cool to me. Also, I haven't followed the rest of the RFID stuff going on at WDW lately. Are they intending to use it for Fastpass?

Does anyone know if New Fantasyland will be open for people who did not get in on the Passholder Preview registration?

We are annual passholders and going to the park tomorrow and just want to know what to expect. I can't imagine there being THAT many AP's to warrant them closing it out to the GP for the entire day (especially now since they have lots of dates) but what do I know.

Thanks

Thanks. We didn't bother to sign up as I was able to check it out during the unannounced openings they were running last month. But now we are going as a family tomorrow and it dawned on me "oops might be busy or closed for those that didn't sign up". Gotta prep the little one just in case

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/starbucks-locations-at-magic-kingdom-park-epcot-set-to-open-next-year/

As we announced earlier this year, six Starbucks locations are planned at Disney Parks in Florida and California. In June, the first Starbucks location opened at Disney California Adventure park in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café and is already a guest favorite.

Today, we’re excited to share that the first two Walt Disney World Resort locations will open next year, one at Magic Kingdom Park and one at Epcot.

At Magic Kingdom Park, Main Street Bakery will close for refurbishment in January 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in early summer. At Epcot, Fountain View will close in March 2013 and reopen as a Starbucks location in midsummer.

Both locations will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Magic Kingdom Park, for example, cast members will wear a costume consistent with the early 20th century look and feel of Main Street, U.S.A. At Future World in Epcot, the new Starbucks location and cast member costumes will be designed to match the park’s futuristic theme.

The Starbucks locations at Magic Kingdom Park and Epcot will both offer the full complement of Starbucks® signature beverages, artisan breakfast sandwiches and a wide selection of baked goods, including muffins, scones and specialty treats.

More Starbucks locations are coming to Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland park soon. We’ll be sure to keep you posted!

Is it bad that I'm one of those "purists" that doesn't like the change to the Main Street Bakery?

I guess the feeling is brought about only because I was a cast member on Main Street. I mean, if the location is still called "Main Street Bakery" and they have a smaller Starbucks logo much like with Casey's Corner and Coca-Cola, I'd still be okay with it; but not if the Starbucks logo was built on one of the buildings like every other Starbucks location.

I understand the concepts of branding, progress, and cold hard cash, but it's out of Main Street's character! Starbucks didn't exist at the turn of the century!

Hipsters didn't exist back then either! I don't want hipsters getting rid of the Hello Dolly music!

^^Disney has been doing this ever since the original park in Anaheim was built; yes, even back in the 1950s, attractions and restaurants had sponsors. I'm sure Disney will do a good job with "re-branding" the bakery and making sure Starbucks fits in with Main Street USA.

^^^I understand while people are apprehensive about Starbucks moving into the bakery, I really don't have a worry about how it is being done because if Fiddler, Fifer & Practical is any example of a how great a mixed operation can work in the parks, then the Florida operations should work out as well. The service there is great, you can get your Starbucks products but a lot of other things as well (like some incredible sandwiches that I hope come to the bakery with this overlay) and the Starbucks culture/theming/tones are nonintrusive in the venue's theming.

If they take the same approach with these new venues in Orlando, I'll be thrilled!

This is ridiculous. Walt Disney never used Starbucks in Disneyland

But on a more serious note, I'm happy to see these going into the parks. I went to the one at DCA and thought it worked really well for the park. I'm happy to see Florida moving forward with this.