TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ferrari World Discussion Thread

Did I count 4 launches? Wow, that must cost a fortune to run!

Looks like a nice family coaster but a bit of a waste of space...

New LSM technology doesn't use as much power as one would think.

But yes, I would guess that this requires more power than your standard LSM coaster.

^I've been curious about this one. Looks like a launched Rollerskater on steroids.

Definitely a family ride, but a unique one. Multi-launch, but never very powerful ones, and it slows down a lot going into some of the turns. In some ways, think of it as using a coaster to emulate Test Track... without the theming or final sprint loop.

They definitely needed something accessible to compliment Formula Rossa, and this delivers. Notably, the most luxurious coaster cars ever!

• 3 months later...

http://www.albawaba.com/business/pr/ferrari-world-abu-dhabi-442218

Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, the world’s first Ferrari-inspired theme park, highlighted its winning appeal for Saudi visitors heading to Yas Island, Abu Dhabi’s premier leisure hub, during a special Etihad Airways event held in Jeddah today.

With the recent addition of a state-of-the-art family ride and the second edition of the highly successful Speed Week family entertainment extravaganza slated for the end of October, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi has firmly cemented its “must-visit” reputation for Saudis heading to the UAE.

“Saudi guests are amongst our biggest contingents of visitors, especially over holiday periods,” said Bruno Wiley, Sales Director of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. “The close proximity of Abu Dhabi to Saudi Arabia, the high frequency of flights, as well as the compelling entertainment proposition of Yas Island make it a destination that’s growing in popularity for Saudi visitors, for both long stays and short weekend breaks.”

Wiley added: “Ferrari World Abu Dhabi’s entertainment proposition perfectly complements Yas Island’s growing attractiveness, alongside concerted destination development plans. With Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi due for completion later this year just next door to Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, a unique entertainment agenda of events taking place at the Yas Marina Circuit – home of the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the concert arena hosting world class musical events, a host of world-class hotels and high-end restaurants on the island and on-going work to complete the Yas Mall; the Park is ideally positioned to enjoy increased footfall as Yas Island continues to grow as an exciting leisure hub.”

This September, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi will add a compelling new entertainment highlight to the Park in the form of a spectacular live show. “Our brand new live show celebrates the spirit of Ferrari, racing and the glamour of 1960s Italy through a 25-minute spectacle that brings the artistry of live theatre together with breath-taking projections, illusions, choreographed performances, acrobatics and on-stage stunts,” revealed Wiley.

Earlier this year, the Park added “Viaggio in Italia” to its portfolio of rides and attractions – a technologically-advanced simulator ride that lifts guests into a giant inverted dome and takes them on a virtual flying journey over Italy. Once locked into the ride, guests go on a multi-sensory aerial adventure through Italy’s breathtaking countryside and cityscapes, along the course inspired by the famous Mille Miglia road rally. Special sensory effects – including mist, chilly winds and forest scents – create the sensation of really soaking in the sights, sounds and aromas of Italy.

Building on its commitment to keep its offering constantly fresh and lively for visitors, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi’s enhanced 2012 calendar of family-friendly activities promises a brand new edition of “Speed Week” from October 26th to November 4th, coinciding with the 2012 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and Eid Al Adha. The 10 day festivities will be brought to life under the theme “Science of Speed” with a host of added fun shows and activities for the entire family – as well as the exciting “F1 in Schools” world finals which will take place at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi during Speed Week 2012.

Hareb Al Muhairi, Vice President UAE, Etihad Airways said high profile attractions such as Ferrari World Abu Dhabi and the Yas Marina Circuit were responsible for a shift in travel trends to the UAE capital among Saudi visitors. “The Saudi-Abu Dhabi sectors are growing in popularity among leisure visitors and families. In recent years, the UAE capital has taken huge strides, with a very strong and diversified entertainment offering including motorsports, luxury hospitality and family entertainment which is driving high demand. All of our 42 weekly flights from Dammam, Jeddah and Riyadh to Abu Dhabi are operating at high capacity, especially during key holiday periods.”

With 20 Ferrari-themed rides and attractions brought together in one spectacularly-designed air-conditioned space, the Park offers something for every member of the family. From state-of-the-art multi-sensory attractions such as Driving with the Champion and Speed of Magic, to truly spine-tingling rides such as G-Force and Formula Rossa, fun family rides such as Fiorano GT challenge and Bell’ Italia, toddler-friendly entertainment at attractions like Junior Training Camp, hearty Italian restaurants such as Mamma Rossella and a range of special services to ensure families have a memorable day out, it isn’t hard to see why Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is the region’s premier family entertainment centre.

I'm definitely curious to see how a stage show fits in at a Ferrari theme park! Hopefully I'll get to visit this park one day...

I was in Dubai for a quick 2 day layover and was kicking myself for not trying to get one more day in to get out to Ferrari World. It's not very expensive to get there from the hotels in Dubai. Everyone has some sort of really good package deal to do a ton of things depending on how much time you have. Even my fiance who isn't a coaster geek was bummed we didn't do it.

• 4 weeks later...
^I'm more curious to see where in the park it might be offered. The overhead park map doesn't exactly lend much to the idea of spare space inside.

I'm not so sure that all those buildings are completely utilized.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you still get nice and wet.

I also got to try out the new soarin style ride. It was quite impressive. The screen is massive and in the back row you go really high.

As with all the other rides there is a problem with the screen and it looks blocky. But overall it's a pretty nice addition to the park. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352687690.831103.jpg.4ec681b7f4e4fb7169941ae9bf8a4e7e.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352687714.066583.jpg.6068dd97f97fb5104f1f2fb28fc78487.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352687740.782056.jpg.1ec57f4a7692f66e96968bc42d763fe9.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352687775.068168.jpg.685603b144677465f0fe60b528217339.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352687821.086613.jpg.c585a29b50b9a6e92ab3d6cf1f77e01b.jpg

Yes you still get nice and wet.

I also got to try out the new soarin style ride. It was quite impressive. The screen is massive and in the back row you go really high.

As with all the other rides there is a problem with the screen and it looks blocky. But overall it's a pretty nice addition to the park.

^You talked about Formula Rossa being rough. Is it just a rattle, or something more? This surprises me since Intamin rides are generally more smooth than other rides.

It seems to just be the back row. the other seats i tried seemed fine. I dont know if the wheels wear more at the back or what

^Looks exact...hopefully the screen/projector/movie is at least somewhat better!

The Chinese "Soarin" knock offs were pretty blurry. It was strange encountering two different "Soarin'" ride systems in China (the one at Joyland was dfferent than the one at Happy Valley). I hope Ferrari World has good luck with theirs (they do have some interesting attractions at that park).

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/on-stage/abu-dhabis-ferrari-world-turns-a-glitzier-shade-of-red

It has been just more than two years since the grand opening of the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi theme park. Since then, the host of attractions under its capacious red roof - most notably the jowel-ripplingly quick Formula Rossa roller coaster - have drawn a steady stream of thrill-seekers to Yas Island.

But now, mainly in an attempt to lure local residents back for return visits, the theme park is about to unveil some brand new rides and attractions.

The first of these is Red, a 25-minute acrobatic spectacular, which replaces the previous live stage show La Gara.

What is it?

Set in 1950s Italy, the show follows the rivalry between two young men vying to woo a beautiful woman.

The big-budget extravaganza has been produced by Thinkwell, a California-based theme park design company. This is the firm behind such popular attractions as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at the Universal Resort in Florida and the Olympics' Spectator Experience show in London. Closer to home, it also created the Snow Play Zone at the Ski Dubai indoor ski slope.

Thinkwell's creative director Paul Haught explains how Red was conceived: "We were kind of inspired by the style and look of [Federico] Fellini films. "Then we thought about what is the core essence of Ferrari. From this we developed a storyline about boy meets girl and how various guys are competing for her hand. But basically we wanted to develop something that has not been seen in the region. It's different from a roller coaster and different from a dark ride."

Indeed it is, with acrobats somersaulting around the stage, gymnasts spinning in giant wheels and dangling from silk ropes, BMX bikers leaping around, as well as the slapstick antics of a comedy clown.

Ferrari fanatics longing to see some high-powered machines will not feel dissatisfied, as it features an appearance by an F1 racing car and the legendary 250 California.

The stars of the show

The show stars 15 different performers from seven different nations. These include the Polish acrobats Angelina Kogot and Luisasz Misztela, who are both champions in Acro Sports, a discipline that combines gymnastics and dance.

The duo, who perform the adagio routine in the middle of the show, were both recruited from the Cirque Éloize circus troupe in Quebec, Canada.

While the lifts and body balances appear physically tough, they insist it's routine for them. "What we do is not that demanding - we do a lot tougher stuff in Acro Sports," says Kogot. "The challenge is having to do it three or four times a day and not get injured."

Why change the attractions?

The park manager Andy Keeling insists that the park is fulfilling expectations in terms of visitor numbers. So, he claims, introducing Red is part of a larger scheme to keep the experience fresh and surprising for both local and overseas guests. "La Gara was successful, but it was done on a much smaller budget. But we found that our guests really enjoyed live shows, so we decided to go bigger and better," he says. "We've brought in elements of something that you might see in a Broadway or West End show. I'd say it has much more of a showbiz quality than before."

Coming next at Ferrari World

Keeling says that while Ferrari World has established itself on the tourist maps of the UAE, the team is now pushing to make sure the residents of Abu Dhabi keep coming back again and again.

"We have worked hard to show our guests that we are keeping Ferrari World alive. We've got a lot of surprises up our sleeves, including a new family ride opening very soon. Just watch this space," he says.

Red will be showing twice a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 3pm and 7pm, and three times a day from Thursdays to Saturdays at 3pm, 5pm and 7pm. The park is open from 11am to 8pm every day but is closed on Monday. Entry to Red is included in the price of entry to the park. General admission costs Dh225 for guests over 1.5 metres in height, and Dh165 for guests under 1.5 metres . Premium admission costs Dh325 for guests over 1.5 metres, and Dh265 for guests under 1.5 metres. Call 02 496 8001 or visit http://www.ferrariworldabudhabi.com for more information.