TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

"reeling" over this park being considered one of, if not the, best of the Six Flags chain? I get not agreeing with it, but "reeling" seems a bit nuts to me. If you dropped the Great out of this thread's title, and we were talking about a park like Six Flags America being the "star", well then I'd understand "reeling".

The layout, and corresponding flow, of this park being a negative makes leaves me "reeling". REALLY? A giant loop is bad form? While I've always thought a crossover by Batman (earlier Tidal Wave) would be nice, having a lot of the backstage stuff hidden literally in the middle of the park is genius. If anything, you cite Over Texas as the "best" in the chain -- I can't imagine how anyone would find the layout/flow of this park better, let alone significantly, better than Great America.

Anyway, I know you offered the "this is just my opinion" disclaimer -- but "reeling" over the thought of this park being the "best in chain" seems a little much to me.

The newest clue "Don’t you hate when your printer jams? This one looks like it was in the process of printing something interesting… Do you think it could be for tomorrow?1100451506_new2013.thumb.jpg.50a731b4aa6885d29e9c1e04a4c159bd.jpg

Sky screamer!!!

Photo from SFGAm's Facebook Edited by sfgam#1

I figure everyone has their favorite in the chain. And if your like me, that favorite can change often - sometimes one visit can change my mind!

Magic Mountain was my favorite many moons ago. Then SFOG was my favorite. The TKO of an incredible new Georgia Cyclone, Mind Bender, GASM and even a dynamite Mine Train couldn't be beat. I guess I really should say a park is "the best," I should say "it's my current favorite."

For years I couldn't understand why everyone talked up Great Adventure so much. I've had some horrendous experiences at that park. Like the time it was so bad I left before noon. But the time Chiller was open with lap bars and the twists, that was so cool! My last visit there was 2006. I've heard glowing reviews since, about how it's all different now and actually a fun park now.

I think I love Great America so much because I've re-discovered all the great flat rides we have. 2 log flumes, Anton flat rides, Whizzer, one of the more interesting Arrow coasters, etc. I'm fond of retro stuff... and the Demon, Whizzer and Eagle are very nostalgic to me - so that's a big part. It's currently my favorite park in the chain, I can't really claim it to be the best.

Hrm... Colossus and Revolution are nostalgic and sentimental to me too - but look what I have to work with there now

The newest clue "Don’t you hate when your printer jams? This one looks like it was in the process of printing something interesting… Do you think it could be for tomorrow? Photo from SFGAm's Facebook

LOL! I'm really loving these clues!

Edited by robbalvey

main_CHIigNIGHT1.jpg.5039468e93a57f2e9d8d2aadb881391d.jpg

Brand New Nighttime Spectacular Will Dazzle and Captivate Imaginations

Six Flags Great America is pleased to present the premiere of igNIGHT – Grand Finale, a mesmerizing and immersive nighttime spectacle bursting with energy, vivid colors, brilliant visual effects, lively performances, fascinating imagery, and pure imagination.

The groundbreaking new high-tech show — the most advanced show in the park’s 37-year history! — plays on all your senses, taking you on a wonderfully wild journey to a beautiful never-before-seen world. Watch in wonder as igNIGHT illuminates the dark night, magically bringing to life a phenomenal bright and vibrant multimedia universe filled with music, singing, dancing, laser lighting, and pyrotechnics right before your very eyes. Guest interaction along with advanced audio, enhanced video projection, and special effects round out the brand new show that is sure to stun and delight audiences of all ages.

igNIGHT – Grand Finale will premiere in summer 2013 and will take place in the evenings right before the park closes because there’s no better way to end an adrenaline-filled day at Six Flags Great America than with a big bang!

I hope it works here, but after going to Cedar Point all season, this looks a bit cheaper and it has not worked masterfully at Cedar Point either so I do not know how successful it will be. The Facebook comments of the announcement are hilarious, specifically one saying Marriott is turning over in his grave.

I'm looking forward to this. Glow in the Park was great but it seems like its served its time and not having it will allow certain rides to stay open later. I'm hoping it will encompass Hometown Square, and possibly other parts of the park as well with lights and such. Either way, it's something new and great for the park and much as people complain about it, Glow in the Park packed the midways, and I'm sure this will too.

Edit:

Six Flags Great America/Hurricane Harbor Nobody said we dont have more tricks up our sleeves for 2013

Hmm..It wouldn't be a new ride, but maybe something backwards?

Honestly, I'm okay with this. SFGAm is my home park and we got a really nice roller coaster this year! Other parks need to have their chance to shine while SFGAm adds a not-so-expensive attraction. I'm sure we'll get something great in 2014 or '15. I don't understand why people assume we'll add the latest and greatest coaster every year.

Are they not supposed to build up and promote a capital expenditure? That's their job, that is marketing and PR.

Does anyone know if the old fashioned cars are still lurking around by Eagle/X-Flight?

Anyone else following the addition at this park's sister out in California? Can you imagine a crazy wood coaster around Sky Trek/Whizzer area INSTEAD of Whizzer/Hometown Fun Machine/the train etc? Just fascinating how the parks have evolved (devolved) so differently over the years! I wonder how some of the original designers of the three parks would grade the current day status of the two parks?

^^Maybe it's just my way of thinking, but I don't really get how this was hyped more than X Flight or Riptide. With those, they were releasing clues and hyping it every day. For this we only got clues once a week. Granted, they were much more creative this time which might have lead to people to believe it was something big, but the clues themselves revealed much less than the X Flight or Riptide Bay ones did.

^ Yes the cars are still there. Honestly, I think the original designers would much prefer our park as even though it's changed a lot, ours is so much closer to the park they built than Californias Great America is. Cali's only has two of the original themed areas left, their train is gone, their trolley tracks are gone and I believe we have more original rides left. The only Marriott thing Cali has that we don't that I can think of is the lighthouse.