TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I recently checked out the new Cars Land and I thought it was a pretty awesome addition. Overall, the area was nicely themed and, dare I say it, cute. Luigi's Flying Tires were a cool tribute to the old Flying Saucers, but takes a lot to control the vehicles, especially when everybody else is too occupied trying to obtain a beach ball. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a solid 6. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was very fun and cute with all the references to Mater's Tall Tales animated shorts, I rate it a 9/10. Radiator Springs Racers was interesting. The dark ride portion was outstanding and the overall storyline was amazing. However, the racing segment fell a tad short of my expectations. Other than that and all the bugs being worked out, this is definitely the E-Ticket attraction DCA has long needed. I give it an 8.5. Nonetheless, DCA is shaping up to be a decent Disney theme park.

In fact, when we went to use our FP's later the ride was 101 and we didn't feel like waiting around to re-ride. Can't remember this ever happening on any new ride ... EVER.

It seems like almost everyday, at least one Disney-related Twitter account that I follow will report that the ride had broken down. And it saddens me to hear that some of the effects are already starting to break down. I do understand that it's a very popular, high-profile attraction and thus is subject to a lot of wear-and-tear, but still it's sad to hear about the ride having these problems.

Hopefully, the ride recovers when the off-season arrives and the crowds ease up.

Here is an update on the new Princess Fantasy Faire from the park blog.

Disney Parks Blog

New Entertainment Experiences Coming to Fantasyland at Disneyland Park in 2013

posted on August 2nd, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

We have some exciting news to share today! The Creative Entertainment team is hard at work on a spectacular live entertainment experience for the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland park. This amazing new show is set to debut in summer 2013. In order to get everything ready, Princess Fantasy Faire will be closing August 12.

Of course, you can still meet your favorite Disney Princesses whenever you visit Fantasyland. You’ll be able to find them along the path to “it’s a small world” from August 13 through the opening of the all-new Fantasy Faire near Sleeping Beauty Castle next spring.

Here’s a look at the Walt Disney Imagineering model for Fantasy Faire, and keep checking back with the Disney Parks Blog. We’ll be sharing more details about this project and the new Fantasyland Theatre show as they develop.

wdi666118SMALL.jpg.995b6de4036fc6c66e79e2070f22f046.jpg

wdi555013SMALL.jpg.b9016c3312797f5300f9e7da89bc48c4.jpg

wdi222012SMALL.jpg.20c7cd192f4ebcda018c19c96bf8b8df.jpg

I wonder how close this model will be to the actual design. Its looks really nice, and I'm glad to see the space better utilized.

Well I just visited the Disneyland Resort for the first time for the summer season.(July 31st-Aug 2nd)

I've had an Premium annual pass for a few years (though I may renew at a lower level, based on the new costs$$$) whatever! )

Regardless, Cars Land/Buena Vista Street was an incredible improvement over what was there previous years. ( I was very impressed!)

This park is much improved. I think Buena Vista Street may actually be better than Main Street USA! (which I love) Regardless, it's a Great overall improvement for DCA.

Disney has done a great work with DCA!

If your considering whether or not to spend your vacation dollars at the Disneyland/DCA resort, then rest assured that you 'Won't" be disapoionted.

I had a great time in the 'New' resort!

Here is a cool post about the new Glow With The Show Mickey ears!

Disney Parks Blog

‘Glow With the Show’ Ears Technology at Disney California Adventure Park Revealed

posted on August 3rd, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

For weeks, Disney California Adventure park guests have marveled at the new “Glow With the Show” Ears, which magically interact with “World of Color,” Mad T Party and other areas of the park. The technology behind the ears has been a mystery, until now! Check out the video below to learn how these new ears work their magic.

I've already snagged my pair, and they are a lot of fun! More so then I expected at least.

(Jeff Johnson could do this in his backyard with xmas lights though )

This is kind of unrelated, but I'm going to Disneyland for 2 1/2 days in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide which park to spend the half day at (we're arriving around 11 AM the first day). So do you guys think we should spend that extra half day at Disneyland or California Adventure?

^ Do you have to decide now or can you play it by ear after the two days are over?

our first day is the half day. so we want to decide which park has more so we can spread it out.

The only thing at DCA that can really eat up your day is Radiator Springs Racers. I've heard 2-3.5hr wait in standby line and ~60min wait in the morning for fastpass which usually sells out by 8am. If you can do single rider on RSR, then I would do DCA for the half day and DL for the full day - especially if you have younger people with you and/or plan on seeing all (or as much as possible) of DL.

EDIT: Case in point, at the moment per MouseWait RSR is showing 120 (the highest it goes to, so it could be more), FastPass was sold out by 9:20 (and this is a Monday) and the single rider line is only 25 minutes.

^ Do you have to decide now or can you play it by ear after the two days are over?

our first day is the half day. so we want to decide which park has more so we can spread it out.

The only thing at DCA that can really eat up your day is Radiator Springs Racers. I've heard 2-3.5hr wait in standby line and ~60min wait in the morning for fastpass which usually sells out by 8am. If you can do single rider on RSR, then I would do DCA for the half day and DL for the full day - especially if you have younger people with you and/or plan on seeing all (or as much as possible) of DL.

EDIT: Case in point, at the moment per MouseWait RSR is showing 120 (the highest it goes to, so it could be more), FastPass was sold out by 9:20 (and this is a Monday) and the single rider line is only 25 minutes.

Yep staying at Paradise pier hotel so early entry into DCA. So we'll do something else. Right now I'm thinking go to Disneyland

Some more art for the Princesses.

Disney Parks Blog

Another Look at the New Fantasy Faire Coming to Disneyland Park

posted on August 8th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

Last week, I told you we would have more to share about the all-new Fantasy Faire coming to Disneyland park, so here’s another treat for you. These pieces of concept art, just released by Walt Disney Imagineering, offer a first glimpse inside the Royal Hall at Fantasy Faire, where you’ll be able to spend time meeting some of your favorite Disney Princesses.

wdi444012SMALL.jpg.5e7e2ab00a243db56467f90e877c1329.jpg

The art gives you a sense of the rich detail and beauty coming to this new corner of Fantasyland. Of course, concept art being just that, some aspects may be subject to change, such as the specific Disney Princesses visiting the Royal Hall on any given day.

wdi333188SMALL.jpg.6ce7fa2481b0d3e5e394e888394fa661.jpg

wdi111929SMALL.jpg.2c76733483406a2f4402583454716ce0.jpg

The new Fantasy Faire opens in spring 2013. Until then, you can meet Disney Royalty elsewhere in Fantasyland, along the path to “it’s a small world.” Be sure to stop by The Disneyland Story inside the Main Street Opera House at Disneyland park to see this concept art in person, in the “Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow” section of the exhibit, beginning August 10.

5 Replies 22 Comments

the 2 biggest lines at DCA are going to be Radiator springs racers and Grizzly River Run (its unsually hot). At Disneyland the biggest line is going to be Splash mouantian for the same reason. I would hit Disneyland first. Most of DCA can be done in the afternoon. Especially the bigger rides like CA Screaming and TOT (hint on Tower of Terror, we FINALLY got the motor on charlie shaft so all 3 are running, supposedly we are down to 15-20 minute waits). Soarin is going to be the big fastpass for DCA

And here is something NOT princess related! WOOHOO for Frankenweenie!

Disney Parks Blog

‘The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition’ Coming to Disney California Adventure Park September 14

posted on August 9th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

Calling all you Tim Burton fans! In addition to Haunted Mansion Holiday, guests will be able to step into another world of award-winning film director Tim Burton when “The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition” comes to Hollywood Land during Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. From September 14 – November 5 at Disney California Adventure park, you can see the touring art exhibit, along with a special, extended sneak peek of Tim Burton’s animated feature film, “Frankenweenie,” releasing on October 5.

fwt330123LARGE.jpg.c378934c2d17ac2a6debe5db4804d9f1.jpgfwt221029LARGE.jpg.7f11aa6f9659918644e3ea9a0dac20ef.jpgfwt120200LARGE.jpg.a3a90298dbd3fed912b184a14b212615.jpg

“The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition” captures the magic of filmmaking and gives an exclusive glimpse into the stop-motion animation process brought to life by visionary filmmaker Tim Burton. From original sketches drawn by Burton to extensive props, sets and puppets, the exhibition showcases the artistic detail and vision that has gone into telling the tale of a boy who, inspired by science and the love of his dog, brings his beloved pet back from the dead. Here’s a quick peek:

The exhibition launched in Barcelona, Spain, at CineEurope on June 18, and stops in the U.S. at the Disneyland Resort from September 14 – November 5. When the tour is complete, it will have visited seven countries including Spain, France, England, Japan, Mexico, Canada and the U.S.

Be sure to catch “The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition” during Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort – which also includes Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and more!

This movie looks like its going to be really good, I'm excited to see this exhibit!

The article says its in Hollywood Land so I'd think they are going to use the Muppet Vision theater for the sneak peek. So if that's correct, I'd guess this goes into Stage 17 for the exhibit (the sound stage right next to Muppet Vision). From the video, it looks like a decent size; it wouldn't fit inside the cellar and it can't go in Stage 12 cause that's used for the Mad Arcade. Only other location in Hollywood Land is the Animation Building where they did the Snow White exhibit. But again, that space is very small and that exhibit was mostly flats, not big set boxes.

^Key word there being children. Of course it is "atrocious" to adults who critique everything at theme parks...but I don't think Disney cares so long as kids are loving it. It's cheap and effective.