TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Went and rode LL:DOD tonight. The ride broke down right when we got to it. The riders were raised about 10 feet and then stopped. They brought them back down and had to cycle empty twice before letting people back on. Took about 15 mins. I choose the Single Ride line and waited about 25 mins. The regular line was just inside the queue house and the sign said 1 hour.

The ride is amazing, you really don't realize how high it is until you're up there. I sat on the outside seat and felt like I was just out in the open especially with the restaints being so freeing. You can literally lean forward out of them and look straight down, it's crazy. The drop seems to go on forever. Halfway down I realized we're still going and then decided to scream.

Overall a GREAT addition to the park. It seems mostly everyone coming out the ride had smiles ear to ear, high fiving and saying they can't wait to ride again.

Last note, as I was waiting in the single rider line, I counted about 15 people who chickened out at the last minute before riding.

hey alumni i thought you might want to know thats my older sister in your profile pic in the red shirt

This was posted on their Facebook for the people there or might want to go. The park closes at 9pm, so it's an extra hour of ERT.

We’re celebrating 7-Eleven Day tonight at Six Flags Magic Mountain with an exclusive 7-11 Coasters After Dark event! Head to 7-Eleven today, then bring your receipt to the park AFTER 7:11PM and get in for only $7.11! You’ll also get a VIP wristband to ride select coasters until 10:00 p.m.! If you’re already at the park, buy a Slurpee Drink after 7:11PM to get your wristband. So head over to Six Flags – and remember parking’s not included with this offer, so bring some friends and make it a party!

Here is what is on the website, I wonder what coasters it will be. Can anyone at the park find out?

July 11 is 7-Eleven’s Official Birthday — Let’s Party!

We’re celebrating at Six Flags with the Exclusive 7-Eleven Coasters After Dark Event. That’s right — we’re keeping select rides open AFTER the park closes on July 11 only!

How can you attend?? Purchase a Slurpee® Drink at select in-park locations after 7:11 p.m. on July 11 and receive your VIP wristband for access to the event.*

Get your chills, then stay late for thrills!

Visit http://www.slurpee.com for more information on how you can celebrate 7-Eleven Day!

*Participating Six Flags rides and locations vary by park. Additional details will be available inside the park on the event date. Wristbands available while supplies last.

Edited by Magic Alumni

My friend and I got in line right before 9PM last night and got on in 30 minutes. I've never waited that short of a time at the end of the night. Operations were nice and they were beating the timer. Also, we were on the last train of the night for X2, and when we got out from the last train of the night, Lex was still running. I know it has a lower capacity and it's new, but it's still surprising to see it running longer than X2 after park closing. Also, Lex Luthor is better at night, but not that much better IMO. They weren't running fire or sound on X2, but they told me one train had sound and they weren't running fire because it was too hot (makes sense, but Apocinator which was running really well with no wait had it's fire on). I never experienced problems with the audio on Lex in 9 rides, every time we listened to the whole thing and then dropped. Not the unpredictable audio I want, but at least it's reliable so far.

The ripe op told me that the cable they had the other day was a cable that came loose Saturday night. He said they replaced or fixed it, and they had Lex back up Sunday morning.

The ripe op told me that the cable they had the other day was a cable that came loose Saturday night. He said they replaced or fixed it, and they had Lex back up Sunday morning.

Replaced the cable overnight?

Boy, those ride ops.. almost as reliable as the Dippin' Dots guy.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about a majority of Magic Mountain employees, but they're not exactly the brightest most observant people in the world. Ask an employee a question and the response you get a majority of the time is "I don't know." I asked someone at the Goliath lockeers how long it would hold my stuff for, and they said "I don't know." Where is the nearest restroom? "I'm not sure." They're no more informed than any guest walking around, except they're wearing a uniform supplied to them by the park.

Unless you are talking straight to a mechanic or a higher up like Tim Burkhart, I wouldn't believe anything the ride ops/shift leaders tell you about a ride. They're paid to push "green button go" and are as clueless/oblivious as the employee at the Freshers stand.

However they know their power position in respect to the guests, and people ask them questions all the time. They know they can mess with them, and they do, even if they don't have any clue what they're talking about.

This was posted on their Facebook for the people there or might want to go. The park closes at 9pm, so it's an extra hour of ERT.

We’re celebrating 7-Eleven Day tonight at Six Flags Magic Mountain with an exclusive 7-11 Coasters After Dark event! Head to 7-Eleven today, then bring your receipt to the park AFTER 7:11PM and get in for only $7.11! You’ll also get a VIP wristband to ride select coasters until 10:00 p.m.! If you’re already at the park, buy a Slurpee Drink after 7:11PM to get your wristband. So head over to Six Flags – and remember parking’s not included with this offer, so bring some friends and make it a party!

Here is what is on the website, I wonder what coasters it will be. Can anyone at the park find out?

July 11 is 7-Eleven’s Official Birthday — Let’s Party!

We’re celebrating at Six Flags with the Exclusive 7-Eleven Coasters After Dark Event. That’s right — we’re keeping select rides open AFTER the park closes on July 11 only!

How can you attend?? Purchase a Slurpee® Drink at select in-park locations after 7:11 p.m. on July 11 and receive your VIP wristband for access to the event.*

Get your chills, then stay late for thrills!

Visit http://www.slurpee.com for more information on how you can celebrate 7-Eleven Day!

*Participating Six Flags rides and locations vary by park. Additional details will be available inside the park on the event date. Wristbands available while supplies last.

I think me and my wife will take that offer... Now I have to man up for Lex Luthor Drop of Doom earlier than expected!!!!

Another trip to Magic Mountain this morning. I was registered for ERT on Lex Luthor from 930 AM to 1030 AM but the ride was experiencing some technical difficulties that delayed its opening. Therefore, there was no ERT this morning but the park gave out exit clearance passes that were good for one ride during the day. Nonetheless, I used my exit clearance and rode again using the single rider line.

Ride List:

Tatsu x2

Apocalypse x5

Goliath

Lex Luthor x2

Batman

While it is very possible that the ride op did not know what they were talking about, it seems that the park is making a very strong effort (at least by their standards) to keep Lex Luthor running well and efficiently. Up until yesterday I'd never seen ride ops going that fast through checks, maybe they're really trying to get to the 400 riders per hour that Tim said he thought was possible. There was always someone relatively higher up (not on a ride-op level, in nice clothes) at the ride the whole day. I'm willing to give the park the benefit of the doubt and credit on this. I have not heard that the ride was down much Sunday if at all, and we all know there was something going on with the Intamin Cable.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about a majority of Magic Mountain employees, but they're not exactly the brightest most observant people in the world. Ask an employee a question and the response you get a majority of the time is "I don't know." I asked someone at the Goliath lockeers how long it would hold my stuff for, and they said "I don't know." Where is the nearest restroom? "I'm not sure." They're no more informed than any guest walking around, except they're wearing a uniform supplied to them by the park.

Unless you are talking straight to a mechanic or a higher up like Tim Burkhart, I wouldn't believe anything the ride ops/shift leaders tell you about a ride. They're paid to push "green button go" and are as clueless/oblivious as the employee at the Freshers stand.

However they know their power position in respect to the guests, and people ask them questions all the time. They know they can mess with them, and they do, even if they don't have any clue what they're talking about.

I've come across some good employees/crews - it just depends on the ride, their commitment to the park (perhaps they want to advance to a higher position), and possibly their level of interest in roller coasters/theme parks. I'm sure there are some 'enthusiast's that work there and love every aspect of their job.

Unfortunately, for a lot (most?) of the other employees, they're working a low-wage job on their summer breaks. On top of that, you have the current generation of kids who think they're entitled, and shouldn't have to work such a demeaning job.

Am I close?

If it was any other park I'd say the cable could be replaced overnight by the maintenance team but definitely not SFMM.

Magic actually has some really talented mechanics/electricians (most of which who actually go on to USH or Disney as quick as they can)...it's not their fault they have poor management above them.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Six Flags built Superman at SFDK from Premier Rides as a 'test' for this type of coaster and built the bigger version of it, 'Full Throttle' at SFMM for 2013?

Im going to call it and go with that as my guess. Not the same ride but launched with the world record loop, similar to Superman.

I gave Colossus a courtesy ride yesterday and found the left side open. I usually don't ride it that often so I don't know if that's normal, but I've always found the right side to be the side open. It was nice finally getting to ride the other track. I sat in the back row and something completely unexpected happened on the first drop: There was literally an INSANE amount of airtime that made me literally fly into the lab bar that I had given myself a little but nice amount of room with. It was painful since I wasn't ready for it, but it was also amazing in a way, and would have been fantastic if I was prepared for it.

Anyone else experienced crazy airtime on the first drop on either track?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Six Flags built Superman at SFDK from Premier Rides as a 'test' for this type of coaster and built the bigger version of it, 'Full Throttle' at SFMM for 2013?

Im going to call it and go with that as my guess. Not the same ride but launched with the world record loop, similar to Superman.

If you're correct and SFMM gets the same exact design but bigger, can you imagine the AIRTIME on that thing?? S:UF is only 150' and 62 mph and the ejector is insane...

SFMM's version??

^How much space would it take up though? Isn't the Log Jammer space 6 acres? I have no clue how big Superman at SFDK is... I think that it could be similar, or maybe the same thing but larger in scale, with more elements.

^Superman isn't very large, and even a taller and faster version shouldn't have a huge footprint, but maybe they weren't planning to use all of Log Jammer's space for one coaster?

This theory would support the talk of SFMM's coaster using that old tunnel. SFDK's coaster launches through a tunnel, but if there's already a decent tunnel available, why build a new one?

I was at the park on Tuesday for the ERT on Lex Luthors Drop of Doom. It was fun hanging out with a couple of other people from TPR! (My name is Mike and I was wearing the Red shirt from another amusement park)

Too bad we got on the ride so late in the morning, but still glad to have made the trip out to get some extra rides in. I really like Lex Luthor and feel it is a great addition to the park. The long drop really makes you appreciate the speed over several seconds of falling! I got in 5 rides yesterday and only 1 had one ride with the tower swaying from Superman. The swaying does add to the thrill of the ride IMO.