TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

ACEr guy... ...who was SO CUTE.

When I read your post, all that I could see was this. It's something I thought I would never see.

hahahaha OMG! Nooooo. Neither the cute kid nor his father was an ACEr.

Just be glad that she's with a TPR member and not with an ACEr.

OMG!!! You guys are making me LOL so much right now!

TPR + ACEr? That would be blasphemous!!

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Superman after finally riding it yesterday. First off not only did I ride it, I was able to get 6 rides on it! The crowds all day were super lite. Longest wait was about 20 min because it broke down. Now for it being the day before 4th of July I was expecting a little more people but hey I'm glad they stayed away.

Now the ride itself really blew me away! I'm sure I'm one of the few but at the end of the day I decided it beat out Medusa as my favorite in the park. Yes it's super short but it was just so intense and different from all the other coasters in the park. I think I ended up riding every row except the 1st which I was kinda bummed about. Either way I agree with what others were saying about the airtime in the front. It's way more intense than I had ever imagined on a small compact coaster like this! It's so intense that my brain was still trying to recover from the fact I was nearly ejected out of my seat that I didn't really get to enjoy the heart line roll at the top.

Overall my favorite part of the ride is the extreme pop of air at the top and the really disorienting G's at the bottom of the cliff hanger drop combined with the non inverting loop right after. Going backwards into the non inverting loop was also really fun and disorienting while also giving a surprising thrust of air. I really doubt capacity will be a huge issue with this if they dispatch as quick as they have been. With such a small station and all it's seems like less than 20 second dispatches! I love it!

To sum things up this ride is now my favorite in the park and I look forward to night and rainy rides on it durring the winter!

^ Thanks for your thought, that great to hear about capacity. I keep waiting for that first bad review and they just don't seem to come. I think everyone got so bogged down with complaining about capacity that we overlooked the fact that this thing had the potential to be a great ride!

^ Thanks for your thought, that great to hear about capacity. I keep waiting for that first bad review and they just don't seem to come. I think everyone got so bogged down with complaining about capacity that we overlooked the fact that this thing had the potential to be a great ride!

I completely agree! Which is why I'm glad I skipped on the reviews before I went... I was expecting it to be a decent coaster but I did not expect such insane airtime from that thing. I was literally in ecstatic shock when I got off the first time.

I'm going down to Discovery Kingdom tomorrow to process my Season Pass and to ride Superman for the first time. All of these positive reviews really have me excited to ride Superman.

It's about time. Just kidding, have a great time!

I'm going down to Discovery Kingdom tomorrow to process my Season Pass and to ride Superman for the first time. All of these positive reviews really have me excited to ride Superman.

That's nothing. I'm going down for my first ride on S:UF Sunday. Having two kids under the age of 2 makes getting out of the house for roller coasters a bit more of a challenge. If anyone will be there Sunday and wants to meet up, let me know.

That's nothing. I'm going down for my first ride on S:UF Sunday. Having two kids under the age of 2 makes getting out of the house for roller coasters a bit more of a challenge. If anyone will be there Sunday and wants to meet up, let me know.

Oh I know, I was just teasing him because I know him. The coaster has been open exactly one week today!

Speaking of two-year-olds....yesterday I went through some photo albums trying to find proof of me getting the Micke Grove Zoo credit (I found it!) but I also found possibly the earliest photos of me at Marine World. I was two years old (almost three, but not quite) and it was two years to the day before my sister would be born.

So I was in love with Marine World two years before I'd set eyes on my sister.... LMAO

Whenever I have some spare time I want to upload some of the photos I found of the old Dinosaur exhibit. Proof that it was much better than Dinosaurs Alive.... It had dino gore!

LOL, it's just a little one:

RCDB doesn't have an opening date, but it was at least early 90s. We knew it as Funderwoods. If I remember correctly, it was separate from the zoo; just to the left and not too big. Big Mike is visiting there this weekend, I can't wait to see his TR of it. Oohhh memories!

Went to the park today, they were pretty busy. Superman's line was about 1.5 hours but I was incredibly impressed with the operation. The crew on average has the train in the station for approx 45 seconds before dispatch. The crew was hustling and encouraging people to move out the exit quickly. Speaking to some sources at the park, they are getting almost double what was expected. The original expectation was about 250pph, they are currently averaging over 450pph. Still not a people eater, but much better than expected and great to see the park operating it to it's full potential, I was VERY impressed.

On a side note, the park removed the from of the first car. There is no longer the Superman shield or anything. It looks pretty odd but when you ride in the front it gives a great view seeing how there is absolutely nothing in front of you. Not sure it's a permanent thing or what.

It's good to hear that the lines aren't as painfully long as originally anticipated (though obviously not short by any means). I'll be heading to the park in about an hour to (finally) ride S:UF. If any TPRers are there, feel free to say hi. I'll be wearing my TPR shirt for easy identification.

-Doug

Went to the park today, they were pretty busy. Superman's line was about 1.5 hours but I was incredibly impressed with the operation. The crew on average has the train in the station for approx 45 seconds before dispatch. The crew was hustling and encouraging people to move out the exit quickly. Speaking to some sources at the park, they are getting almost double what was expected. The original expectation was about 250pph, they are currently averaging over 450pph. Still not a people eater, but much better than expected and great to see the park operating it to it's full potential, I was VERY impressed.

That's awesome about the operations. I was really impressed on opening day with it, and I'm very happy to hear that they're still keeping the pace up.

On a side note, the park removed the from of the first car. There is no longer the Superman shield or anything. It looks pretty odd but when you ride in the front it gives a great view seeing how there is absolutely nothing in front of you. Not sure it's a permanent thing or what.

Huh? Not sure what you were meaning to say there.

He's saying that they removed the front piece of the front car that holds the shield. It's the part visible in this picture:

From the park's FB page, I just love this pic....

Interesting that they'd remove it though. I imagine it's temporary - I know Sky Rocket still has its on. Seems weird to have a car without that piece, it's like taking the fence off the front car of a GCI!

Seems weird to have a car without that piece, it's like taking the fence off the front car of a GCI!

Precisely what I was thinking about as I read the news on the last page. By the way, I wouldn't mind that at all, as I think the MFlyer grilles are vaguely creepy, and I adore old-school open-front woodie trains (a la Prior & Church).

Really, if the views on S:UF are that much greater without the front, I'll just be disappointed if they end up putting it right back on. Oh, well, that's the kind of thing I probably won't even remember when I'm actually at the park.

I'm not sure who your source was that told you that 250 pph was the original expected hourly capacity, but I can tell you that is incorrect.

Pretty amazing that, regardless of the fact you have no background on what my knowledge is, you can without a doubt tell me I'm wrong.

Really, if the views on S:UF are that much greater without the front, I'll just be disappointed if they end up putting it right back on. Oh, well, that's the kind of thing I probably won't even remember when I'm actually at the park.

I wouldn't say the views were drastically enhanced. I personally think it makes the train look incomplete without the front.

So I just joined the Six Flags Advisory Panel with SFDK as my home park. If no one beats me to it, I could try to post anything interesting they send me, but somehow I question whether I'll hear anything even remotely tantalizing.

Well, I finally headed out to the park today to try out Superman...seemingly the last one on these boards to do so. I arrived ridiculously early, which paid off, getting me front row on the first train of the day. I stayed at S:UF for the first hour of the day, netting 5 rides on it. Being a single rider had it's perks, as I answered requests from the ride op for single riders after barely being in line for 2 minutes each time. All said and done, I got 6 rides in today...four in row 1, one in row 2, and one in row 3.

Thus far, all the reviews have been positive, and I agree wholeheartedly. The backwards launch is a wonderful surprise, giving some nice floater air. The final launch up the first spike is filled with surprisingly strong ejector air (it's about time Cali got some air). I figured (before riding) that there would be air over the top of the spike, but I didn't expect the air to begin on the twist and sustain until the train levels out at the top. The in-line twist is, of course, filled with good, slow hangtime. The cliffhanger is also a lot of fun, and the non-inverting loop is a unique delight. Overall, I was impressed and surprised with the ride. It is indeed short, but surprisingly intense, and very smooth. I didn't think it would beat out Medusa as my favorite ride in the park, but it did just that. I'm proud of my home park for having such a unique ride.

The final thing I would like to mention is the dispatch times. I was absolutely shocked at the speed of those dispatches. I had no idea that a Six Flags park could run a ride with such startling efficiency. From the time the train came to a complete stop until the time of the next launch, no more than 45 seconds passed. Ever. Coupling that with the 45 second ride time, that's 12 people moving through the line every 1:30 (I timed several cycles on my phone, it was never more than 1:30 total). That comes out to 40 ride cycles per hour. 40 x 12 = 480pph. I was very impressed at this sort of capacity from a ride that I figured would have a crawling line. I hope that the ride crew can keep this up through out this season, and future ones.

My final verdict: A very big thumbs up for every aspect of this ride. I look forward to going back to ride...though not until after Labor Day, when the crowds dwindle and I can indulge in mini marathons.

I'm not sure who your source was that told you that 250 pph was the original expected hourly capacity, but I can tell you that is incorrect.

Pretty amazing that, regardless of the fact you have no background on what my knowledge is, you can without a doubt tell me I'm wrong.

Look, I'm not trying to start an argument with you nor am I doubting your "knowledge", but I am telling you that without a shadow of a doubt that the original expected capacity was never 250 pph.