Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Pg. 357 - SkyScreamer BACKWARDS!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby wolverinechris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:15 pm

CharlieT. wrote:I was at the season pass preview event for Superman today.

Were you by any chance the guy I hung out with in line for a while? ACE sweatshirt?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby osbornse » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm going to be visiting this park on Monday and I was really curious about size restrictions. I have been kicked off of a ride before for being too large and it's embarrassing so I'd like to know beforehand which rides are worrisome for larger individuals. I know that it depends on body shape, but even the local fair that comes through my town has a list of the rides where "large people may not fit". Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby rolercstrluvr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Saturday I went to the season pass preview and I'm glad I took the no spoilers route because the coaster completely blew me away! The first time off I almost keeled over at the exit... SOOO INTENSEE!!!

I rode 19 times total: 18 in the morning and one in the afternoon with a two-hour wait. The lines were surprisingly very short for the season pass preview, and actually got shorter until about 8:30 am when the ride first broke down for about 30 minutes. After that the lines were a little longer, but nothing worse than 15 or 20 minutes.

They assign rows, and you can't switch. The employee told us she was being more lenient for the pass holders but once the coaster is open, you don’t get to choose which row you want.

My lap count per row: row 1: two times; row 2: once; row 3: five times; row 4: four times; row 5: twice; row 6: five times.

I think the best rows are row 1, 3, 4, and 6. My personal favorite: ROW 6!!! It is by far the most extreme. Coming out of the barrel roll into the vertical plunge there's an INTENSE thrust of ejector followed by some very strong positive Gs in the loop. Basically you're thrust upward just before being shoved downward... really insane feeling.

That being said... they assign rows in the station, and you can't switch. The employee told us she was being more lenient for the pass holders but once the coaster is open, you can’t choose your row.

I was surprised how quickly they dispatched this thing. The two hour wait seemed to be more because of technical difficulties rather than bad capacity. When the coaster didn’t have any issues, the line moved fairly quickly.

Conclusion: SFDK has a GEM on their hands here. It really is a remarkable coaster and easily the best in Northern California!

I can't believe you left me out of that entire post, I was there with her for the most part and had an amazing day. Especially when we were both single riders and got paired up with each other.
Gold Striker Ride count: 305

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

rolercstrluvr wrote:I can't believe you left me out of that entire post, I was there with her for the most part and had an amazing day. Especially when we were both single riders and got paired up with each other.

Don't feel bad, she never acknowledges me either. :cry:

osbornse wrote:I'm going to be visiting this park on Monday and I was really curious about size restrictions. I have been kicked off of a ride before for being too large and it's embarrassing so I'd like to know beforehand which rides are worrisome for larger individuals. I know that it depends on body shape, but even the local fair that comes through my town has a list of the rides where "large people may not fit". Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help!

It's always a case by case situation, but I saw some pretty big riders on media day, including the guy who lost his phone in the POV of Bob and me.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:21 pm

rolercstrluvr wrote:I can't believe you left me out of that entire post, I was there with her for the most part and had an amazing day. Especially when we were both single riders and got paired up with each other.

I already wrote an entire novel! Didn't want so much info that nobody would read it. ;)

Double0Kevin wrote:

Don't feel bad, she never acknowledges me either. :cry:

OMG hahaha this actually made me laugh! I didn't think either of you wanted me to mention it, because some people are private like that. And neither of you mentioned me until now either. :lmao:

Okay non-abridged TR since you asked for it:

As a single rider, I got paired with other single riders but it wasn't long before I realized most of the single riders were enthusiasts. I hung out and chatted with this cool ACEr guy for a while (possibly the one you're talking about wolverinechris) and another ACEr guy later. I plugged TPR wherever possible. There was this one dad with his young new enthusiast son who was SO CUTE. The little boy was all excited and knew all the stats and stuff... I mentioned TPR and they seemed interested.

Every time one of my single rider buddies would leave, another would join. I was like whoring all the single riders. :lol:

I saw a few people with TPR shirts and was like, "YAY TPR!" and high-fived them. One of those was rolercstrluvr. I found myself alone again, and I was in the station when I turn around and rolercstrluvr was right behind me! I guess they announced to the queue that they needed a single rider, and he was in the very back and volunteered to come through.

Then after we rode several more times, we hung out the rest of the day and did a lot of the animal exhibits to detox from my 18 rides and his 8 rides on Superman. Later we waited 2 more hours to get one more ride on Superman. A different friend of mine said the line was only an hour wait at noon... either way that's really not too bad for opening day. We did Medusa later too and I feel like they had less trims and the ride was much more extreme, but maybe my head was still rattled from Superman?

I'd post pictures, but rolercstrluvr still has my camera. ;) Maybe he can post the pictures for me?? :P

BTW, rolercstrluvr and I think we should do a butterfly ERT session. The butterflies are so awesome but oft ignored. Or maybe a TPR-takeover of the shark experience?

And I'll leave you with the quote of the day: "This coaster is propelled by LSMs... Linear Synchronic... MAGIC!!!" :lmao:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby Double0Kevin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote: ACEr guy... ...who was SO CUTE.

When I read your post, all that I could see was this. It's something I thought I would never see. :lmao:

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby rolercstrluvr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Just be glad that she's with a TPR member and not with an ACEr.
Gold Striker Ride count: 305

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Double0Kevin wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote: ACEr guy... ...who was SO CUTE.

When I read your post, all that I could see was this. It's something I thought I would never see. :lmao:

hahahaha OMG! :lmao: Nooooo. Neither the cute kid nor his father was an ACEr.

rolercstrluvr wrote:Just be glad that she's with a TPR member and not with an ACEr.

OMG!!! :lmao: :lol: :lmao: You guys are making me LOL so much right now!

TPR + ACEr? That would be blasphemous!! :lol:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 am

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Superman after finally riding it yesterday. First off not only did I ride it, I was able to get 6 rides on it! The crowds all day were super lite. Longest wait was about 20 min because it broke down. Now for it being the day before 4th of July I was expecting a little more people but hey I'm glad they stayed away.

Now the ride itself really blew me away! I'm sure I'm one of the few but at the end of the day I decided it beat out Medusa as my favorite in the park. Yes it's super short but it was just so intense and different from all the other coasters in the park. I think I ended up riding every row except the 1st which I was kinda bummed about. Either way I agree with what others were saying about the airtime in the front. It's way more intense than I had ever imagined on a small compact coaster like this! It's so intense that my brain was still trying to recover from the fact I was nearly ejected out of my seat that I didn't really get to enjoy the heart line roll at the top. :lol:

Overall my favorite part of the ride is the extreme pop of air at the top and the really disorienting G's at the bottom of the cliff hanger drop combined with the non inverting loop right after. Going backwards into the non inverting loop was also really fun and disorienting while also giving a surprising thrust of air. I really doubt capacity will be a huge issue with this if they dispatch as quick as they have been. With such a small station and all it's seems like less than 20 second dispatches! I love it!

To sum things up this ride is now my favorite in the park and I look forward to night and rainy rides on it durring the winter! :)
The San Francisco Giants are the 2012 World Series Champions!!

Postby Double0Kevin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:15 am

^ Thanks for your thought, that great to hear about capacity. I keep waiting for that first bad review and they just don't seem to come. I think everyone got so bogged down with complaining about capacity that we overlooked the fact that this thing had the potential to be a great ride!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!