Favorite Dark Ride

P. 17 - What defines a dark ride?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Re: Dark Rides..

Postby Toro#1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I definitely enjoy dark rides, obviously we all love the coasters but dark rides add to the day at a park and get you out of the heat. Plus some of my favorites are the Scooby Doo shooters at KD, KI, etc, I might suck at them but it's a relaxing ride and it's fun
Total Coasters: 218, #1 Steel= Millennium Force, #1 Wood= Voyage
2012 parks: SFGAdv, Dorney, Hershey, Canada's Wonderland, La Ronde

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Sven » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm a big fan of Darkrides. I think it is the best type of a ride attraction even better than a great coaster. Themeparks without darkrides are incomplete.

I really love 'Pirates' at Disneyland Paris and the creepy darkrides in Phantasialand are real fun but the park with the best classic darkrides is the Efteling. For me the 'Fata Morgana''is the best, great theme, great music, lots of animatronics and a peacefull ride system.

An Impression of the ride:

and I found a great onride

start at 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7l3nFhXeY&feature=related

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:12 pm

A lot of the time, dark rides are uniquely-created to the park that has them.

There also are companys, like Sally Corp.
and even Disney, who are certainly offering up and creating great dark ride experiences,
they can and will reproduce the same ride, if wanted by another park. Esp. Disney.

So finding a truely only-in-this-park kind of dark ride, is a true treat for myself to go on.

Even if the attraction itself is pretty cheesy, run down or just plain awful. :wink:
I am glad I took a ride on it and thru it. You only get one chance to ride it, sometimes...
I02_Meh_Toshimaen.jpg
My continued WTF reaction to Tokyo park Toshimaen's odd big box dark ride. (July 1,2011)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby donkeyman18 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I enjoy dark rides its a nice relaxing air conditioned ride on a hot day!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm actually more of a dark ride person than I am of coasters. I love the the speed and thrill that coasters provide, but I enjoy being immersed in a themed environment even more. If you are able to put those two together, like on the Mummy for example, then that's a huge plus for me!

While I love the high-end dark rides like Spidey, Radiator Springs Racers, Indy, Transformers, and Potter, I also have a love for the really old-school dark rides. I love the cheap scare tricks they have and the "unknown" feeling you get when your vehicle goes through those doors.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby golfburner1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 am

Revenge Of The Mummy and Forbidden Journey!
Ride Count 2013: Kingda Ka: 12, El toro: 20, Superman Ultimate Flight: 4, Green Lantern: 7, Bizzaro: 27
Skull Mountain: 44 (Perma Seats), Nitro: 105, Dark Knight Coaster: 14, Sky Screamer: 7, Runaway Mine Train: 5, Rolling Thunder: 4, and Batman:The Ride: 18
Great adventure here I come!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:41 am

So someone brought up the Jungle Cruise as a "day time" dark ride - while that might be stretching it a bit, it is an interesting discussion. What really defines a dark ride? Is the Land Boat Ride a dark ride? Is Toy Story Midway Mania a dark ride?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:55 am

Hmm interesting question. I would say that the Jungle Cruise is more of a dark ride than Living with the Land. To me the darkness allows for more control over theming etc, and the Jungle Cruise does just that.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 am

^Well, if you ride the Jungle Cruise after dark . . . ;)

I've come across references to "outdoor dark rides," which I guess is a term people use for lack of a better one to describe attractions like the Jungle Cruise or those odd towboat rides you find in some parks (for example, Excalibur at Drayton Manor, which has both indoor and outdoor sections).
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am.

My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about

Postby PriestofSyrinx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am

^^ I agree. Living with the Land seems more along the lines of Backlot Tour at DHS or even Kilimanjaro Safari at DAK.

Dark Rides (to me) are non Roller Coasters or Simulators, with heavy theme through out and a ride system on a track or flume, including animatronics.

So at Magic Kingdom (where a lot of people think of dark rides) I would consider Peter Pan's flight, Splash Mountain, Small World, Pirates of The Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and even Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (due to the fact you are IN his universe). And now even the Jungle cruise even though its outside.

Epcot has Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom, Universe of Energy, and Journey in to Imagination (WITH FIGMENT!).

DHS though is where it gets tricky... to me its Great Movie Ride and Tower of Terror. Toy Story Midway Mania is NOT a dark ride, its almost like a simulation. Because you are just playing a really big video game, yet its one of the best video games you can play! =)
Favs: Maverick/Mindbender/Magnum/Goliath/Voyage

Will find a Rush reference in your post, whether its there or not!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!