TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

^Every contract has exit clauses that allow for deals to be brokered to alter or even nullify the terms. I'm not saying anything about whether or not it will happen because I honestly don't know, but having read that contract, and having witnessed Disney make some deals over the last decade (Pixar, Marvel, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit/Al Michaels) that took people by surprise, I wouldn't count the possibility out.

I'd go out on a limb to say that a deal could certainly be made for the right price... And considering the success of a certain ensemble film (and all of the films leading up to it), I'd imagine someone out in Glendale is calculating that price, if they haven't already.

Can I just say that no one from the general public cares if it is the same ride system! It's a whole different experience. Most people are looking for the thrill and besides that, they won't even have a clue how the ride works, they are just going to be laughing and having the time of their life!

Could they do a different version of Transformers? I mean, they did different Mummies, right? Just change the ride scenes to tell a different story. I would think they might have to do that anyway, if they want to fit it into SS44. SS44 is only ~125'x135', while Spidey is ~205'x235' and Transformers at USH is ~175'x165'. At best, they're losing roughly 1/3 in each direction if they don't get rid of the Shrek meet and greet. That's a lot of square footage.

I'd go out on a limb to say that a deal could certainly be made for the right price... And considering the success of a certain ensemble film (and all of the films leading up to it), I'd imagine someone out in Glendale is calculating that price, if they haven't already.

Maybe that's finally what's happened. Universal has sold the rights or at the very least is coming up with a large figure to put to Disney, and they're preparing by making way for Transformers to come in cause they know theres a big chance they're getting rid of Marvel?

Maybe that's finally what's happened. Universal has sold the rights or at the very least is coming up with a large figure to put to Disney, and they're preparing by making way for Transformers to come in cause they know theres a big chance they're getting rid of Marvel?

While reading themeparkindsider.com, I noticed that they're speculating that there may be already a done deal to buy out the Marvel license from Universal, and that this is an effort to make sure they have the signature ride system in place before the deadline of the license running out. They presented some fairly solid reasoning, but still speculation.

I would think they might have to do that anyway, if they want to fit it into SS44. SS44 is only ~125'x135', while Spidey is ~205'x235' and Transformers at USH is ~175'x165'.

They have some room to expand SS44 out. The demo permit says something to that effect, so they could probably make it work.

It is looking more and more like HHN got trumped here, and this will be for a new attraction/ride and not for a house.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that Transformers would be for if/when Universal let's go of their Marvel License. Wouldn't it make more sense to retheme the ride that they already have that is extremely similar. Otherwise what would they do with Spiderman?

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that Transformers would be for if/when Universal let's go of their Marvel License. Wouldn't it make more sense to retheme the ride that they already have that is extremely similar. Otherwise what would they do with Spiderman?

The question is, how much downtime would that require? Building a new attraction, while likely more expensive than a retheme, would mean that they have continuous operation of the ride system, allowing one to finish, and be operational, before the other goes down.

What would they do with Spiderman, in that case? could be anything... as long as it fits the new theme of the area.

But why do they need continuous operation of that ride system? Was the resort that hurt when spidey was down for some maintenance? I am not saying they should or should not build transformers, but I think the reasoning tied to the possibility that someday spidey might need to be rethemed is poppycock.

But why do they need continuous operation of that ride system? Was the resort that hurt when spidey was down for some maintenance? I am not saying they should or should not build transformers, but I think the reasoning tied to the possibility that someday spidey might need to be rethemed is poppycock.

I agree. Had they replaced Spiderman with Transformers, sure. But I don't think that's the reason here. I would really chock it up to seeing its success elsewhere, and rushing the decision to give the Orlando resort an intermediate attraction before Potterland v2 (which maybe has been delayed a year, we don't have an actual date - maybe to tie in with some IMAX movie rereleases or something). Plus, this way Universal can either steal some of Disney's thunder with New Fantasyland, or maybe be able to get some of the people down in Orlando for that expansion to take an extra day and check out the new ride at Universal.

Though it will likely mean they need to close the dragons durning construction to ensure a clear rider envelope.

(sarcasm)I guess they could build a dueling inverted coaster next door to ensure continuous operation of that ride system.(/sarcasm)