TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^WhiteWater West doesn't do hydromags, nor does any other water slide company as far as I know. It should be ProSlide.

Every hydromagnetic water coaster that I've ever been on has never disappointed (By every, I mean Wildebeest at HW, and an indoor water coaster at the GWL in Mason, OH). This looks to be a great slide as well, especially with the stair-less approach. I'd love to try it when I go to Splash Country someday.

It was reported yesterday by Amusement Today that the National Roller Coaster Museum's traveling exhibit will be open at Dollywood in the old Dolly Parton Museum (Heritage Hall) through September 16th from 11AM - 4PM daily

http://www.amusementtoday.com/

NRCMA premier exhibit opens at Dollywood

By Amusement Today | June 15, 2012

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. — It’s been a long time in the making; however park historians, hobbyist organizations and the general public are all embracing the roller coaster/amusement park exhibit that runs daily, now through September 16, 2012. This is the inaugural exhibit of the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives (NRCMA) in a 1,250 square foot exhibit space formerly occupied by the Dolly Parton Museum, which is now housed in its own building. America’s Roller Coasters & Amusement Parks exhibit is located in Heritage Hall — a space directly above the cave, in the lower end of Craftsmen’s Valley at Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Contained in this traveling exhibition are 20 displays of various sizes, covering all aspects on the subject of roller coasters, along with a few related areas of interest. The displays and videos represent a good portion of the current industry as well as historical artifacts, photographs, and other items that represent the past. Many of the displays have a connection to the roller coasters at Dollywood with a balance between old and new.

One highlight includes the display of a Prior and Church designed roller coaster car from the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park, San Diego, Calif. alongside a Thunderhead car that is the “rolling stock” on that coaster at Dollywood. The 1925 Frank Prior and Fredrick Church car is what gave Mike Boodley the inspiration to design “Millennium Flyer” style roller coaster cars for Great Coasters International built roller coasters around the world. In the exhibit Boodley is featured on a video where he explains his design process.

Another highlight is the showcase on Arrow Dynamics, one of the major steel roller coaster manufacturers of the late 20th century, headed by the late amusement industry legend and IAAPA Hall of Fame Ron Toomer, who has a panel citing his industry accomplishments as a celebrated designer. A favorite area is sure to be the roller coaster enthusiasts’ room, showing the extent to which aficionados collect and display anything and everything roller coaster related. Other exhibits include: Parks of Tennessee, Wild Eagle (Dollywood’s newest coaster), Hall of Fame coasters, Coasters in Movies, a map of all U.S. parks both in operation and defunct and a roller coaster history timeline.

The museum board has been looking for the opportunity to showcase many of the items and artifacts that are housed in their 2,600 square feet of storage in Plainview, Texas on the Larson International manufacturing site. Until a permanent museum is built, the traveling exhibit is an opportunity to show and share some of the items acquired along with educating the general public about all aspects of roller coasters — history, operation, physics, images, design, memorabilia and more.

America’s Roller Coasters & Amusement Parks exhibit is open daily, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. through September 16 and is free with admission to Dollywood.

The National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and protection of the history of the roller coaster and the amusement industry. Cash and artifact donations can be made by contacting the NRCMA: P.O. Box 5424, Arlington, Texas 76005-5424.

It was reported yesterday by Amusement Today that the National Roller Coaster Museum's traveling exhibit will be open at Dollywood in the old Dolly Parton Museum (Heritage Hall) through September 16th from 11AM - 4PM daily

Wow, didn't think they would ever use Heritage Hall for anything again. Going to have to check this out soon!

What was the point of the super hero thing?

Haven't you ever wanted to run on stage in a cape and mask? I hear it's quite delightful.

Being realistic, I wouldn't know why. I guess they couldn't come up with an an appropriate theme in time for the announcement, so they threw something together.

All my photos are 3.5mb, so I may or may not post them...so here's a couple more comments haha.

Dollywood is a fantastic park, although they are missing another big attraction in my opinion. The rides are borderline too short, and left me feeling like I paid too much (80$ for the Q2Q and admission) for the day because we left early after riding every ride 10 times or so. I believe Blazing Fury is the longest coaster, then Thunderhead, Wild Eagle, TT.

-Thunderhead is running incredible. Voyage intensity. Amazing airtime and out of control speed throughout.

-Wild Eagle is unique, and I'm happy for this new innovation, but seriously the restraints pulled ridiculously tight on my shoulders. No t many others have this problems, but I am thin, have broad shoulders, and rode it many times that day. But I hard a hard time breathing on the brake run after the ride every time. So please don't give me crap like you haven't heard someone complain about a new ride before. It also had a rattle on the bottom of the first time and out of the loop in the back seat similar to Diamondback in 2009. Oh no! I know right, a complaint about a ride at Dollywood?! Or B&M? The restraints were my only problem that mildly affected my ride.

-Mystery Mine didn't have all of the effects working, but still provided an excellent experience. Love that ride.

-Is it just me or are the pathways too narrow? I know people in Tennessee overall are a bit bigger, but seriously I got frustrated trying to walk around people without being rude.

The area from MM to Wild Eagle looks much better now with Adventure Mountain in there, along with Wild Eagle; it used to look like a concrete foil to the green Craftsman's Valley. Adv Mountain was a lot of fun, and a refreshing change to an amusement park's attraction line up.

^I had the same issue on Wild Eagle. 10 rides last Monday and my shoulders were sore until Thursday. Any ride which ended in being stacked left me just pinned in the seat and that was not so fun.

I also agree about the paths. Walking up to Thunderhead stuck behind a couple of grannys on their ECVs was VERY annoying.

That said, it is STILL one of my favorite parks. My coworkers are getting sick of me talking about it

The only place where the paths really annoy me is on the long, windy path from the main entrance up to Timber Canyon. Really though, if you are trying to rush from coaster to coaster at Dollywood, you are doing it wrong.

Although, I will admit, I have witnessed quite a few guests there that don't seem to realize that the middle of a walking path is not the proper place to come to a dead stop.

Edited by ernierocker

Who was at the park yesterday?!

T'was I! I'm not exactly a regular poster on here. But at least you can put a face to the username now.

And yes, just look at my face to see what I thought of Thunderhead. Seriously though. I LOVE this coaster. So wild! So relentless! Once over the lift hill, there is no letting up. Without a doubt my favourite ride at the park. Was wondering when I'd get round to riding a 'thrilling' GCI woodie and Dollywood provided me with just that!

It was great to finally visit this park after years of pining/dreaming/daydreaming. The architecture is amazing and the landscaping is beautiful. I instantly fell in love with the parks 'natural' setting. Mystery Mine was fantastic! I kept away from POV's so effects/layout took me by complete surprise (as these sort of rides should). The ride sure likes to jerk you about. But then what should one expect with an out of control mine cart!

Tennessee Tornado is now my favourite Arrow Looper. Both the layout (especially the big 'ol loop) and the landscaping rock. That and the fact it's so darn smooth!

Wild Eagle was worth it for the views alone. The ride experience itself didn't exactly blow me away, but I still had FUN on this thing!

Queue's weren't too bad for a Saturday. I certainly got my money's worth ride count wise! And that was without purchasing Q2Q.

I would LOVE to return to this fantastic theme park some day. So roll on their next major roller coaster.

T'was I! I'm not exactly a regular poster on here. But at least you can put a face to the username now.

And yes, just look at my face to see what I thought of Thunderhead. Seriously though. I LOVE this coaster. So wild! So relentless! Once over the lift hill, there is no letting up. Without a doubt my favourite ride at the park. Was wondering when I'd get round to riding a 'thrilling' GCI woodie and Dollywood provided me with just that!

It was great to finally visit this park after years of pining/dreaming/daydreaming. The architecture is amazing and the landscaping is beautiful. I instantly fell in love with the parks 'natural' setting. Mystery Mine was fantastic! I kept away from POV's so effects/layout took me by complete surprise (as these sort of rides should). The ride sure likes to jerk you about. But then what should one expect with an out of control mine cart!

Tennessee Tornado is now my favourite Arrow Looper. Both the layout (especially the big 'ol loop) and the landscaping rock. That and the fact it's so darn smooth!

Wild Eagle was worth it for the views alone. The ride experience itself didn't exactly blow me away, but I still had FUN on this thing!

Queue's weren't too bad for a Saturday. I certainly got my money's worth ride count wise! And that was without purchasing Q2Q.

I would LOVE to return to this fantastic theme park some day. So roll on their next major roller coaster.

I've heard if the 2013 RMC coaster at Silver Dollar City is a success,Dollywood could possibly get a new wooden roller coaster in a few years. Also I'd say the next attraction at Dollywood is a new water ride of some sorts.

Edited by RCBoilermaker14

I'm glad you liked it because it's one of my all time favorite parks! Mystery Mine has such amazing theming, it's one of my favorite coasters out there! But, it really hurts your "crotch area" at the end...

Yeah, I had a chat with Pat Koch (lovely lady) about Dollywood's desire to install a Water Coaster next year. Their management had popped round to have a go on Wildebeest/Mammoth for research purposes. I'm not surprised that the experience left a great impression!

And Mystery Mine didn't abuse my crotch in any shape or form, thankfully!

Edited by WildMouse

I've heard if the 2013 RMC coaster at Silver Dollar City is a success,Dollywood could possibly get a new wooden roller coaster in a few years.

Even though I know plenty of parks have two or more wooden coasters (and some fairly close in age), when I first heard that rumor I still thought "But why? How different could a new one even be?" However, the more I hear about the one at SDC, the more I hope Dollywood gets a similar one as well.

^That rumor always sounded like it originated from the fan boys rather than anyone actually associated with the park. Why would the park add three major looping coasters in a row? They need to get back to the base of younger families, hopefully with something unique. I would love to see them add a dark ride. Both SDC and DW used to have such emphasis on the custom dark rides with FITH, Blazing Fury, the Flooded Mines, Rube Dugin's, etc... They could really do something amazing these days, and it would be a whole lot more unique and fulfilling to the park experience than just another ride off a manufacturer's shelf.

^Valid points, though I suppose the "few years" bit suggests they could put in some more family-friendly attractions in the interim.

At any rate, the new developments at SDC bode well for any park where a Rocky Mountain coaster is rumored. Silverwood anyone?