TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

So it's a single lap bar for two seats, PLUS individual seat belts, PLUS a belt that keeps the bar locked down?

This is probably a stupid question, but...why?

One car has two rows each with two seats. Each row of two seats has one lap bar. As stupid as that and the seatbelt thing is there is one more really annoying, stupid thing- BOTH lap bars are connected together- wtf you say? Yes, BOTH lap bars in each car are connected together, you can imagine the problems that causes.

So it's a single lap bar for two seats, PLUS individual seat belts, PLUS a belt that keeps the bar locked down?

This is probably a stupid question, but...why?

One car has two rows each with two seats. Each row of two seats has one lap bar. As stupid as that and the seatbelt thing is there is one more really annoying, stupid thing- BOTH lap bars are connected together- wtf you say? Yes, BOTH lap bars in each car are connected together, you can imagine the problems that causes.

Yes, the problematic linked lapbars, I lost count how many times I had people pulling theirs down as I'm still getting into the train. After pushing the restraint back up, they continue on pulling it down anyway...now for the icing on the cake: I still have seatbelt #1 to put on, plus having to hold the lapbar up with my leg. Yet the Giant Dipper's operations are flawless using the same lapbar technology. No need for 2 additional measures of security to the lapbar...and you get a far more intense ride on the Dipper.

Working Grizzly and riding it numerous times over the years I never understood the thinking behind the linked lap bars. Obviously it can cause problems but what is the benefit? Certainly not safety wise as if for some reason the lock fails in a car the lap bars open for four riders! At least with a lap bar for each rider IF a lock were to ever fail it would be isolated to that one lap bar, and obviously there would not be these problems with loading. When I gave my spiel I always had to add "please do not pull down on your lap bar until everyone is seated" but that was pointless because nobody paid attention.

Do the lap bars on Grizzly have multiple positions or is it only one position only that is flush with the divider? And/Or can a large person be able to make it so that the lap bar isn't flush with the divider? It's possible (though silly) that the middle seatbelt is just an additional device to divide the two guests.

Grizzly is not at all friendly to larger riders. The position the lapbars had to be in to allow dispatch seemed very nearly where they are shown with the seatbelt fastened. I'm 6',2", about 250 lbs with a belly and I just fit on it.

Grizzly is not at all friendly to larger riders. The position the lapbars had to be in to allow dispatch seemed very nearly where they are shown with the seatbelt fastened. I'm 6',2", about 250 lbs with a belly and I just fit on it.

I can second that. Whenever larger riders would try to pull it down they were stapled in, and a lot of times it would not go down far enough to lock. I always felt bad for these riders because we could not allow them to ride.... it sucks when you have to deny someone something like that.

I can second that. Whenever larger riders would try to pull it down they were stapled in, and a lot of times it would not go down far enough to lock. I always felt bad for these riders because we could not allow them to ride.... it sucks when you have to deny someone something like that.

I don't mean to sound like a troll or anything but being 6'4" and still growing I'm rapidly approaching the upper limit of several coasters. And I find it completely ridiculous when people complain that rides are "heavy set" people friendly. Lose the weight. If they're sad because they can't ride, its because of the choices they've made. I didn't make any choices in life that prevented me from riding this coaster, but they did and for that they shouldn't ride. It really frustrates me that parks, especially on the newer rides (e.g. SkyRush) seem to make more accommodations for overweight guests, rather than taller guests.

/rant.

The new GCI will be a long overdue attraction but I am truly looking forward to just walking to the park next year. Imagine coming from one of the further parts of the parking lot, and then as you approach a beautiful Millenium Flyer comes rolling down a 110+ foot drop. Just the drama this will add to walking towards the front gate alone is going to be spectacular for the park.

^ Who complained? All I saw were statements of facts.

Its not that anyone on this thread particularly complained he just said he sympathized with the people who he had to force off the ride. Don't feel bad, they deserve no pity.

Its not that anyone on this thread particularly complained he just said he sympathized with the people who he had to force off the ride. Don't feel bad, they deserve no pity.

THEY may not but the kids (through no fault of their own) who don't get to ride because the adults can't and wont let them ride do.

While the "large riders" issues has been discussed many times over, but I think we can agree that (a) yes, America needs to get thinner and stop eating Big Macs, but (b) any paying customer has the right to complain. Let's be real though, at this point, close to 2/3 of American adults are overweight and another 32% over the age of 20 are obese and/or hypertensive. These parks know their clientele and gladly sell tickets to Americans who have the expectation that they can ride the park's attractions.

When it comes to Grizzly, you didn't miss out on much except a good nap.

I'm no expert here, but I've heard that genes can contribute to weight, if that's true, then some people are being forced of ride for something they have no control over, like height.

I'm no expert here, but I've heard that genes can contribute to weight, if that's true, then some people are being forced of ride for something they have no control over, like height.

The huge increase in the percentage of obese people in the USA in more attributable to controllable aspects of one's life (diet and exercise) than genes. Yes, a small percentage is attributable to genetics, but the obesity level in the US has steadily increased from around 10% in the early 1960's to over 33% today.

The 10% obesity level was constant for decades and a mutation did not magically enter the US gene pool 50 years ago to cause this trend. The US population eats more and exercises less than ever in its history.

I love to eat, therefore I exercise.

Been awhile since I last posted. Just thought that i'd share that I got to have a backstage tour of Happiness Is...Snoopy ice show on saturday. It was a really nice experience and amazing with how they work everything. The rain curtain that we have was just a simple pipe with holes in it, they wanted to stay cheap but still have an amazing production. After that tour, I asked to go see the coaster shop, found the other orange mouse cars. Demon's red train is in rehab, there are still plenty of invertigo wheels, possibly more for us again at bay area bash. I would really like to thank Clayton for making all this possible, he's such a nice guy.

Grizzly's noodles (yup, I just decided to type Noodles instead of Restraint s) have only 1 lock position, not multiple/ratcheting like the rest of the park's coasters have. I wonder what kind of security measures the Millennium Flyers will have with their noodles.

Probably OTSR's, Seatbelts, And Lap Bars.

Those are Low end Estimates

Trip report from Sunday (6/3), was a busy day, everything had a line most of the day. First time in awhile I saw Demon's line reach past the cave, and Flight Deck past the M&M Candy machine by the entrance. Grizzly (no surprise) had the longest line, nearly 45 minutes. They held people at the plaza, then held people again at the top of the stairs plus the operations were slow as molasses combined with the extra "noodles". Went on Star Tower to check the progress of the new coaster, pretty much looked the same just with the survey markers all over, didn't see any other work done as apposed to Friday, snapped a bunch of pics. Overall a fun day.

The length of those lines sound pretty unusual for a Sunday, unless business really is picking up that much. Was there an event going on and/or bunch of school kids there?

There were no special events going on that I knew of, and the parking lot had a good amount of cars, and not that many buses from what I saw on Star Tower around 2pm. I had to get something out of my car around that time also and there were still long lines to get into the park.

CGA used to be one of my favorite parks because of the short lines, it's sad to see the lines so long. But, it's good that the park is actually making some good money, I'd rather see more profit than short lines.

Are there any CGA thread regulars that are not participating in Coasting for Kids that plan on being at the park this Sunday?

I am hoping to still be feeling well enough after the marathon to get over and check out the progress on the land clearing, etc for the new coaster, but we'll see how that goes.