TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Glad they finally have an official opening date. I work every freaking Thursday and Friday though. Of course it wouldn't make since to opening it when I'm off on Monday or Tuesday's. I'll be going next week to check out construction non the less.

⌡eep comes out as "GP":

Why? I don't understand some of the filters on this site. I think I'm somehow missing all the "fun" threads

June 21st????? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!! I've had such bad luck with coaster events conflicting this year! Of all the weeks during the summer, I only have a job for the 21st, and the 25th-29th. If they changed it just one day over, I would be there! Hoping I can convince my boss to move the training to a different day that week, or do it earlier that day so maybe I can drive down and hop in line before the park closes!

But my personal frustrations aside... I'm glad they have an opening date scheduled, and I'm glad they're giving a day especially for SFDK passholders!

The "jeeep" thing happened when I started using the term on here as it was kind of fun saying it in person. It started to catch on until it took an instant nose dive. I guess in text it didnt fare too well.

What thread started the whole restraints filter anyway?

Back on topic, it's nice to see that there is in fact an opening date set. I had a feeling that the end of June would be it.

Funny thing is, that is the exact same day Sky Rocket opened in 2010.

With hundereds of major coasters at US parks, that primarily open their new rides between April and July, you are likely to find dozens of coasters that have the same brithday.

June 21st, well I'm planning to move out of the Bay Area on the 14th, so I guess I can stay here one more week for Superman. With a June 21st opening, they probably have to start testing by the 7th.

This cool pic from the top of Roar is from the other evening and since then the second tower has risen significantly but you can see what a standout this ride is shaping up to be!

Link

Wow this is starting lo remind me of what Zonga looked like under construction

This cool pic from the top of Roar is from the other evening and since then the second tower has risen significantly but you can see what a standout this ride is shaping up to be!

Link

That photo is extremely old, at least by two weeks. Still a cool view though.

Hello everyone! My name is Charles, I'm the full time ride supervisor at Discovery Kingdom, and today I bring YOU an update of the exciting things we have going on behind the walls at Superman. It's been a long process from design to where we are now and it's wonderfull to see the ride finally go from paper to standing tall at the park. Let's take a peak.

This is what were here for right? Dirt!

At the end of today this is what the site looked like from what will be the entrance.

Ohhhhhh ahhhhh.

Twisty?

Here you can see the main entry points into the station

And this is where the queue will connect to the old Zonga/Pandemonium Station

Of course as we go upward, we are also working on electrical that will make the ride go zoom.

Here you can clearly see that we have both a single and double spine.

Inside work is moving right along.

Here's the exit and and overall shot.

Hope you enjoyed looking around!

I'll continue to post as things progress to keep you in the loop only a few larger pieces to go! I look forward to seeing you all at the park!

The ride is really looking great now! Really excited for the grand opening, though I already know that the crowds will be very heavy. I went to the park yesterday and got my season pass processed, and also enjoyed a spin on pretty much every ride at least once. Sorry, but no pics this time.

It was surprisingly busy for a Thursday, but I figured out that there was a large amount of school groups having their end of the year field trips at the park, but the crowds were manageable. Around noon, Kong looked to have almost full switchbacks, and clearly I skipped, and headed over to Medusa, hoping for a shorter wait. The switchbacks were about 2/3 full, but I was on the ride in about 25 minutes. Operations on Medusa were really good yesterday! They were running two trains, and over in the transfer dock, you could see that the 3rd train is in rehab. Anyway, the crew definitely had their act together yesterday, and were dispatching trains before the first train had even reached the second corkscrew. Good job crew! I also took a spin on Skyscreamer, running a decent program. Ops were okay, but the line was pretty short so no big deal.

I left Oasis plaza and headed up the hill just in time to watch Shouka. I forgot how nice SFDK's shows are. It's nice to have a seat after standing in a long line for a coaster. After that I hit up Tasmanian Devil, which got me dizzy as hell (which is a good thing of course) and Boomering (eh). I decided to head back over to the sky area of the park to ride Roar and V2, and take a look at Superman's construction. I rode V2, which surprisingly had about a 20 minute wait. Afterward I headed to Roar, but saw mechanics up in the station and an attendant at the front of the line telling people it was down. So I looked up at Superman. This coaster is taking shape crazy fast people! Throughout the day, I saw them install at least 3 major track pieces. I now have no doubts that this thing will open on time. After checking out construction, Roar went back up and I took a ride. I'm glad they're running 2 trains, otherwise operations are just painfully slow.

Overall, it was a decent day at the park, and I will definitely be back soon, most likely on opening day for Superman.