Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 304: Holiday offerings including new parade announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby mike_kelly » Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm

So here is the official "park map". In thupper left hand corder of the screen where the "sweeps" sign is, this is where the loading station will be.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri May 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Jerrykoala2112 wrote:Is there anyone that knows the park well enough that could pull up a map and circle the area that the new ride is going in? I went to the park in 2012, but the park felt like a maze to me. Wildfire, PowerKeg, and the kiddie area were each a dead end and the park layout slipped my mind.

I guess it can certainly feel that way if you've never been before, but really the park is actually built with a somewhat circular path system. You can exit off the main square at the front on either the right or left side and come back around in a continuous loop to the other side, but you have to know where you're going. ;)

User Crash and several others from SDCFans are reporting that the drop is being worked on now. It should be done by next weekend. Anyone going to be able to grab some shots? This is probably the most-anticipated part of the coaster with all the rumors flying around about a 81 degree drop angle. It looks steep so far apparently, but it's not all they way up yet and it's just framing so far.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 pm

^Not this weekend, but I'll swing by on the way back from Holiwood nights next weekend and get some.

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:Is there anyone that knows the park well enough that could pull up a map and circle the area that the new ride is going in? I went to the park in 2012, but the park felt like a maze to me. Wildfire, PowerKeg, and the kiddie area were each a dead end and the park layout slipped my mind.

I guess it can certainly feel that way if you've never been before, but really the park is actually built with a somewhat circular path system. You can exit off the main square at the front on either the right or left side and come back around in a continuous loop to the other side, but you have to know where you're going. ;)

What I mean by the layout was that it has many dead ends. Sure, there is the main 'middle' area of the park that is a square. But I was talking about the many dead ends in the park. WildFire... Powder Keg... Barnstormer... Grand Exposition.... and the Geyser Gulch area. I do love the park, don't get be wrong. I was just confused on where the ride was going in terms of where on the midway would you enter the ride. Mike_kelly already answered that for me, so it's all good. :)

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Mon May 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Ho Ho Ho it's Santa Chadster bringing you this special update on something you don't see...

For those of you who don't know, or maybe those that don't care, I'm on an 8 day journey across America gathering material for my Chadster's Vacation Adventures thread here on TPR. One stop on the way north was to check in on SDC and see what they are not up to...

Oh, and if you want to check out more foto's, clicky
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 018.JPG
So get ready and strap in because we are about to blast off...
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 023.JPG
...and look through the trees.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 042.JPG
Some may even want to look at these.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 086.JPG
And others might get a little wet.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 037.JPG
So lets take a look at what's not to see.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 038.JPG
Because all of this is just an illusion....nothing here.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 034.JPG
Actually as some of you may recall they are working hard on a new movie screen that's shaped like a ski slope.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 131.JPG
And this would be part of the concession stand that looks like it will be quite large.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 134.JPG
You can even see what might be the shipping and receiving dock.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 145.JPG
Looking through the trees we see something that might look like a wooden roller coaster...
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 151.JPG
Alphie says "There is nothing to see down there, nothing at all, do you understand?"

Conductor Joe says "There's something down there? I don't see anything"
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 156.JPG
I'm pretty sure I see something however, dipped in fact.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 158.JPG
It seems to be coming out the concession stand.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 159.JPG
It's even following the grade
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 161.JPG
I know, that has to be for the projector, has to.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 164.JPG
Hey look, the train is punching a hole in the movie screen!! Bad train.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 167.JPG
Lets check out the loading dock a little closer, shall we?
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 169.JPG
You can see what appears to be two loading/unloading areas.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 174.JPG
And there you have it, Silver Dollar City's hush hush top secret 2013 project. My contacts weren't working today, but I did hear from another source an announcement could come sometime by the end of summer, also known as when testing might start...
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 110.JPG
I bet all this has made you hungry, the ride sure wore me out on the Frisco Train to the area that I don't remember seeing. What I do remember is the BBQ from this booth was excellent, especially the sides.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 112.JPG
Also equally as good were the deserts.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 115.JPG
Om nom nom nom
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 182.JPG
I got to interact with the baker of their famous cinnamon bread. He's a really nice fellow that's been around for a good bit.

Basically the bread is in three "pillows" if you will put together. The bread is designed to be eaten by three people.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 184.JPG
Picking up the dough after it has been coated and rested. The dough here was made on Friday and frozen. Why did they make it ahead of time? Well the park was forecast to be beyond insane and he wanted to be prepared ahead of time.
Viewed 16096 times
Silver Dollar City 5.27.12 187.JPG
And then you plop into the seasoned pan and into the oven. I know, we didn't see him pound the dough, maybe next time ;)

I also learned that on Dec 24, 2011 they baked and sold 563 loaves of bread, yeah, that's right. 563...thats a LOT of bread!!

So anyway, forget what you see in the park part of the park...it doesn't exist.
Viewed 16096 times
Last edited by chadster on Mon May 28, 2012 9:19 pm.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I know it is just the lift hill but this ride is already looking awesome. After seeing the New Texas Giant turn out to be one crazy ride, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Rocky Mountain can pull off for Silver Dollar City!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Intimidator305 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I just find it insane when parks act like nothing is happening when they have a giant structure going up in clear view of the public. I hope they atleast start some type of teaser campaign or something before the announcement at the end of the summer.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Aesthetically, it already looks better than NTAG, which is really nice to see! Hopefully it'll retain that old-woodie look while being plenty crazy!
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby ProwlerPrey » Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm

If it rides anything like New Texas Giant, SDC has a major winner with this. It's already on my list of parks to visit next year. :) Can't wait to see pictures when they start building the first drop.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

^^^There's no need to say anything yet. Summer is barely underway and this ride doesn't open till next year. If they announce it now people will still think it's being built for this season and raise a ruckus when it never opens. It sounds like they will be 'teasing' it over the summer with an announcement as early as August.

Great photos as always chadster. You can just barely see the start of the starting of the framework of the drop through the trees, but this one is going to be tough to get photos of unless there is a walk-back tour at some point. I kind of hope they actually don't release the full layout and let people be surprised on opening day. I don't think they ever released a full layout of PK, but of course PK is entirely visible from the park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!