SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 76 - SeaWorld announces expanded killer whale habitats
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby dragonskeep » Fri May 25, 2012 3:00 pm

I think any park would benefit from a ride like that. Looks like a lot of fun for everyone. Seaworld does a great job and this is no different.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Fri May 25, 2012 4:05 pm

What a difference a day makes. The construction walls are gone, palm trees have sprouted overnight, and the place overall looks much more polished. There's a screen closing off the end of the projection tunnel. The crew is better too, working with greater urgency and confidence. Looking good!

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Fri May 25, 2012 5:28 pm

PAL wrote:What a difference a day makes. The construction walls are gone, palm trees have sprouted overnight, and the place overall looks much more polished. There's a screen closing off the end of the projection tunnel. The crew is better too, working with greater urgency and confidence. Looking good!

This make me even more excited for tomorrow! :b
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Just now evac'ed from the brake run. Fun! They expect to get Manta back up in a bit. Then it'll be time for night rides.

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Fri May 25, 2012 7:15 pm

What happened to the 42 inch height restrictions?
Nr 1 Liseberg and Gröna Lund fanboy!
Piraten is *the* roller coaster (after finally riding Expedition Geforce, I'll admit, it was pretty freaking awesome to!) .

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 pm

^ Did they say they were trying to get a 42 inch restriction? The press release says 48 inches.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=993720#p993720

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Wow! Manta looks much better that I thought it would be! I knew it would be a fun ride, but it looks a bit more intense than I thought it would be. This ride is solid proof to any GP that you don't need any inversions or heights to make this a great ride.

From what I'm hearing from the people who have ridden this, I'm glad that the lack-of-airtime in SoCal streak has apparently been broken by this ride. I'm going to drive down to San Diego sometime on one of my days off just to go down to the park to ride this. I can already tell that SWSD will become a much better park just with the addition of this ride.

Now that the park has a solid coaster, if only they could put a good dark ride in there...
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 pm

deathbydinn wrote:^ Did they say they were trying to get a 42 inch restriction? The press release says 48 inches.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=993720#p993720

The Mack guy from Rob's IAAPA interview said it was going to be 42 inches.
Nr 1 Liseberg and Gröna Lund fanboy!
Piraten is *the* roller coaster (after finally riding Expedition Geforce, I'll admit, it was pretty freaking awesome to!) .

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat May 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Chris - nice coverage of the media event
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BabaSD » Sat May 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Stopped by the park today to see how this Manta stuff was working out - I was very impressed with the ride. When we got to the ride the line was LONG but it moved very fast. I was actually surprised how fast the line was moving. Maybe it will slow down with the quick queue thing hits it, but we shall see. The queue was very long and parts of it was very nice. There is a part where you are close to the 'splash' area and underground by the aquarium (warning no cell service down there!) and the last part you are out in the sun with no theme... kinda strange if you ask me to have the theme so nice up to the last part then *poof* nothing.

But the ride itself was very fun. Great? No, not quite... close but not in that great status. The first part when you are in the screen area is cool and the train rocking back and forth makes it seem that much more like you are really underwater. The ride was long - which is great in these days of short 30 second rides. I would make this a must do on any trip to SWSD.

Took a few pics, even took a video of the screen area but it came out unwatchable so nevermind. You can take a camera on the ride - I asked if I could and they said yes, no problem. just be sure to have a strap with it. But I rode the in the front row and had my camera out in plain sight for the other employees I did not ask could see the camera and they said nothing. I thought I got a POV video.. guess when the ride took off I stopped recording (lol, fail).

One thing that I am not too crazy about is the boarding. They have it set up so you can get in whatever row you want so everything is just random. So if you have more than two people in your party then good luck riding on the same car.

SeaWorld San Diego Manta opening weekend by PadresFan619, on Flickr

This is taken from the line.. I did get splashed just a tad one time. But it is a cool viewing area.

The water in the underwater viewing area is still VERY murky. Made it hard to see anything.

These were very cute - hope they last.

And after the nice part of the line... when you get close to the end you go outside and get no theme... so sad

I know the details are not finished yet - but just a heads up, if you need some free internet you can hook up to this ethernet cable they have just hanging out going to the store above. ITS FREEEEE!

These are the oldest ride ops I have ever seen lol - they must have retired from SFMM...

The end of the ride...

I *hope* this is just part of the 'we are not done yet' part of the ride. But I have a feeling it is not and they are going to leave a very large part of the park just covered in wood chips and rocks. There are small parts that are covered in grass, so that leads me to think this will not be a 'grassy knoll' or anything. I sure hope I am wrong.

And this made me laugh pretty hard... the area where the stinky flamingos will be soon (where they were before). But for now they are not there and some light harted SWSD employee put these little guys here for a fun little photo op.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!