TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the worst B&M/intamin/GCI

Out of the one's I have ridden:

Intamin: It would probably be La Vibora, but for a real Intamin I would say Fahrenheit (it just has a boring layout)

How could I have forgetten about Fahrenheit? I guess that speaks volumes about how memorable the ride is. I'll add it to my earlier selection of Cheetah Hunt. They both suck equally- impossible to pick a winner here.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my two cents.

Intamin: Shockwave (stand-up coaster at Drayton Manor, UK). Jupiter, an Intamin woodie in Japan, is quite bad, as well.

GCI: Gwazi (BGT--I actually liked it a bit better with the old PTC trains)

B&M: Iron Wolf (now relocated to SFA and renamed Apocalypse)

Two stand-ups--yeah, I'm not a big fan of that type of coaster.

Edited by cfc

Intamin: Volcano: The Blast Coaster. Yes, I know it's loved around here, but I find it to be uninspired, slow after the first inversion, and just a few heartline rolls. Nothing to it, and short as hell.

B&M: Tie between Hydra and Carowinds' Vortex. Hydra was kinda dull and Vortex was really rough and rattly.

GCI: Only been on SFA's Roar, Wildcat, and Lightning Racer. Out of those, I'd go with Roar, though I still liked it.

Least Favorite Intamin - Mick Doohan's Moto Coaster at Dreamworld, AU. It was just boring and uncomfortable. I highly doubt I'd wait more than 5 minutes for any moto-coaster.

GCI - Thunderhead? It was rough later in the day when I rode it. I liked Rumbler better.

B&M - I've had some TERRIBLE Mantis rides. I still liked Iron Wolf over Mantis.

Like others i will first make a list of the ones i did ride.

Intamin: Alpine Bobsled, Balder, Bizarro, Bobbaan, Cobra, Colossos, Colossus, Cop Car Chase, Desert Race, Disaster Transport, Dragon, El Toro!, Expedition Geforce, Fahrenheit, Furius Baco, Goliath, Indiana Jones, Intimidator 305, Jr. Gemini, Kanonen, Kingda Ka, Maverick, Millennium Force, Mine Train Ulven, Pegasus, Possessed, RC Racer, Rita, Rolling Thunder, Skull Mountain, Storm Runner, Top Thrill Dragster, Tornado(Madrid), Vulcano, Wicked Twister.

Intamin's worst by me: Pegasus(Efteling) - Always felt like a slow and painfull ride for me, even as a kid. RC Racer(WDS) - Just not for me...

B&M: Air, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, Batman La Fuga/the ride, Batman: the dark knight, Bizarro, Black Mamba, Daemonen, Dominator, Duelling Dragons , Dragon Khan, Goliath(La Ronde), Great Bear, Green Lantern, Griffon, Hydra, HULK, Kraken, Kumba, Manta, Mantis, Monster, Montu, Nemesis, Nitro, Oblivion, Raptor(CP), Sheikra, Silver Star, Superman ADA, Superman UF, Talon, Vampire,

Worst B&M's by me: Goliath(La Ronde) - Hill after hill is just boring!

GCI: Gwazi, George and rhe Dragon, Lightning Racer, Troy, Wildcat.

Worst GCI for me: Gwazi(BGT) - Need to?

I'm not alone! I seriously like the relatively unpopular B&M hyper-twisters and quasi-hyper-twisters (Raging Bull, Diamondback) a lot better than their highly rated out-and-back hypers (Nitro, Goliath). This even though the airtime is good, and the fact I don't exactly hate all out-and-back hypers...

My three cents worth would be

GCI- SFAm Roar. It was kind of a snooze. No action.

B&M- Hydra. Smooth. Quiet. Gentle. Boring.

Intamin- Disaster Transport. I actually love Disaster despite it's sad state, but as a bobsled coaster, it's pathetic. Just judging it for what it's meant to be coasterwise it's extraordinarily lame.

To lay validity to my opinions I guess I'll list what I've ridden of these manufacturers (plus I'm nerdy enough I'm curious to list what I've ridden)

GCI I've done Renegade, Wildcat, Lightning Racer, Roar, American Thunder, and Thunderhead (6)

B&M, I've ridden 8 batman clones, Raptor, IOA Dragons and Hulk, Hydra, Talon, Raptor, Mantis, Diamondback, Behemoth, Dominator, two Superman flyers, Raging Bull, Iron Wolf, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Griffon, Alpengeist, Dark Knight, Bizarro, Great Bear, Superman SFFT, and Wildfire (32)

Intamin, bobsleds at SFOT, and Great Escape, Disaster, Jr Gemini, Maverick, Wicker Twister, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Avatar at MOA, Possessed, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Volcano, Superman at SFAm and Darien Lake, El Toro, Kingda Ka, Skull Mountain, American Eagle, Vertical Velocity, SFMM Flashback, SFMM Superman, Bizarro SFNE (23)

I'm not alone! I seriously like the relatively unpopular B&M hyper-twisters and quasi-hyper-twisters (Raging Bull, Diamondback) a lot better than their highly rated out-and-back hypers (Nitro, Goliath). This even though the airtime is good, and the fact I don't exactly hate all out-and-back hypers...

The out and back design works best on wood coasters, or Intamin hypers. Ironically, B&M, a company whose coasters are better as twister layouts, is generally hired to mke out and backs, while Intamin, who generally does out and backs better, is usually hired for twisters.

Anyway, here is my list (from what I have ridden):

GCI: Wildcat

B&M: Vortex (CGA)

Intamin: Disaster Transport

Honorable mentions:

CGI: Roar (SFDK)

B&M: Scream, Riddler's Revenge, Diamondback (my most recent rides on these were all quite rough)

Intamin: Kingda Ka (It gave me a bigger headache than Anaconda at KD)

Intamin: Colossus @ Thorpe Park. No other ride has made my ears hurt as much as this ride did.

GCI: Wildcat @ Hersheypark. Found it to be quite rough and the layout was not particular exciting.

B&M: Superman Ultimate Flight. Such an uninspiring layout...

GCI-Wildcat at Hershey Park-Thankfully, GCI's other coasters have been an improvement.

Intamin-NA-Intamin is fantastic

B&M-Montu & Iron Wolf-Iron Wolf was a torture chamber. I like TOGO stand up coasters better. Montu was just plain boring. It did nothing for me. Montu was a step down after building the excellent Kumba a couple of years earlier.

B&M- Green Lantern. The trains shuffle terribly, and I get head banging constantly.

Intamin- As much as I hate to say this, Kingda Ka. Some days the ride is okay, while other days its bone jarring. I've had headaches all day from Kingda Ka.

GCI- Only been on one.

B&M: S: UF - The Awesome Pretzel Loop and Then.... Boring?

Intamin: V2 - Why was I Head Banging!?! Bizarro - Ran Horrible Every Time I Rode (Which is Twice, And I was Trying to See if it's Good, but it's like NOPE). AE - Large Helix is A Layout Flaw.

GCI - Never Been.

Edited by IronWolfman

I wouldn't list nitro as a pure out and back. Behemoth is the most out and back of the big hypers. Nitro is definitely one of the more twisty B&M's other than Raging bull, definitely more twisty than Diamandback.

^I knew someone would get me for that.

I know Nitro is L-shaped, but for some reason I always think of Diamondback as more twisty. Not sure if it was a misconception that I never got over even after riding it, or if the setting it's placed in somehow emphasizes the turns more and makes it seem less out-and-back. Anyway, carry on!

^I knew someone would get me for that.

I know Nitro is L-shaped, but for some reason I always think of Diamondback as more twisty. Not sure if it was a misconception that I never got over even after riding it, or if the setting it's placed in somehow emphasizes the turns more and makes it seem less out-and-back. Anyway, carry on!

It must be you lol, It even has those weird dive twist hills that none of the other B&M hypers have.

B&M - Mantis (Pain: The Ride)!

Intamin - Expedition Ge Farce. Overrated waste of steel. Special mention must also go to Millennium Forceless (all looks and no substance!).

GCI - Lightning Racer and Wildcat. Both were as dull as ditch water

I'm someone who tries to find redeeming qualities in even the worst coasters as I don't dislike rides but...

B&M - All their standups except Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scorcher are migraine producers. Maybe if the OTSR wasn't so bulky in the head area it wouldn't be so bad.

Intamin - Darien's Ride of Steel isn't a bad ride but it is a little lackluster with the straight section and the helices that don't really do much.

GCI - haven't rode a GCI that I didn't like. Wildcat, Lightning Racer, Roar West, and American Thunder are all I have ridden so far.

B&M - Mantis: No explanation needed..

Intamin - Millennium Force: Most overrated coaster on this planet, they should tear it down and put a Skyrush instead (But with better noodles! )

GCI - Gwazi: It's like riding a jackhammer in an earthquake..

B&M--Mantis-only painful B&M I've ever ridden.

Intamin--Disaster Transport- I didn't really have a bad ride on it, but all the others I've been on are way better.

GCI--I have yet to ride a bad one, but with a grand total of 2 of them so far, that doesn't mean much

• 1 year later...

For worst B&M, it would have to be a tie between Vortex at CGA and Apocalypse at SFA. Both were rough and had an un-natural amount of head-banging for a B&M (in fact, back when I rode Vortex, I had never experienced any head-banging on a B&M and didn't think it was possible...).

As for GCI, I'd also have to mention Wildcat at HP - rode that last month and really wish I hadn't....

I've never been on an Intamin that I would consider really bad, but there is, however, one that could be high up in my personal rankings if not for the awful OTSRs that the ride is cursed with. Maverick at CP could be a really fun ride for me if they would just retrofit it with I-305 style restraints. Otherwise, I'd much rather have to ride the front on Apocalypse at SFA than ride the front on Maverick, if I had to choose between riding one or the other. I really hated to place an Intamin on my "do not ride" list (these are the unfortunate few coasters that I find too rough/painful to ever want to ride again) but unfortunately with the beating I received the last time I rode it I have had no choice.