TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

A great day at the park today with Jon and Josh! Talk about the perfect weather too--a manic change from last week! Pass holder hour and the morning hours were fantastic and workable since most of the crowds were in a massive line to have seasons passes processed. After that, the masses moved inside and Behemoth jumped up to an an hour wait and Leviathan to about an hour and a half shortly after lunch.

Leviathan was running insanely fast today. Riding without a winter coat was fantastic. The tunnel gives a great head chopper effect. Blink and you'll miss it though! Behemoth was also running really well with great air. Even though Behemoth was running in a similar way compared to the last three seasons, it's amazing how smooth Leviathan is in comparison. Oh, I have to give a huge shout out to Wild Beast since it rode with a truly "classic and authentic wooden coaster feel", more so than Minebuster...read into that what you will.

On of the biggest surprises was Dragon Fire. When you climb up Dragon Fire's hill while staring at Leviathan, you think you're going to keep climbing and then Dragon Fire's drop just comes literally out of no where and not when you'd expect. A very strange feeling, mostly for those sitting in the second half of the train.

A really beautiful day with everything at the park running really smoothly for opening day, including the Fast Pass system. Wind Seeker had some opening jitters but finally opened around 4:30pm. Sledge Hammer was being tested and worked on so it should hopefully be open for next weekend. I had to visit guest services on such a busy day since I was big red X on the computer when my pass was scanned. Maybe I'm that sinister Dr. X? Anyways, even that line up moved quickly and the problem with my pass renewal was fixed with zero issues.

Take a look at Leviathan's line today. Any headache or nausea caused by looking at that pic can be easily cured with a Fast Pass. We saw about five to six people at every major ride we rode using them. It was managed well and was pretty seamless.

Hard to believe the season has started!

1381790088_Leviathan3pmOpeningDay.thumb.jpg.3b8670b80f85999d0c39e49b42a2c346.jpg

Here's Leviathan's line up at around 3:30pm using the "extended, extended queue" :)

Much like Jason commented, had a great day at Wonderland today. I won't be too detailed cause Jason covered much of it but some random thoughts and notes:

- Leviathan was already running better then SPPN night last week.

- The tunnel does add a great head chopper effect, however, I really hope they aren't done with it. I know there's still possible landscaping and what not to be done (grass/trees/etc), so I am not giving up hope. It's just looking at the tunnel compared to the entry plaza and everything it's kind of, hmm, "weak".

- The ride crew was amazing on Leviathan today with the odd exception of a lot of empty seats going out. In some cases the front train would only have 2 people sitting in it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but something that could be worked on. After all, it is opening day.

- Behemoth is great still. It was giving amazing airtime in the back as always. Really looking forward to marathoning this for Coasting for Kids on June 10th. By the way, donate here if you haven't already https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/joshuamclachlan/CanadasWonderland

- Shockwave still only has three out of the six arms functioning at the moment. The other 3 remain under tarps for some reason.

- Overall I'd give Wonderland a 10/10 for opening day. I have a feeling this season is going to be super special and super successful for the park and Cedar Fair!

Here are some random pics from throughout the day. Enjoy.

- Josh

003.thumb.jpg.8bfcbd8564f81fa641b293f209381f6d.jpg

Leviathan's tunnel. Thoughts?

DSCN4669.jpg.0861ee14bda2ae0745cc0ab516c14563.jpg

Pre opening testing

008.thumb.jpg.77183e16a0324253dc0875ee3a326471.jpg

Getting ready to enter the park for the official kick off to the 2012 season.

DSCN4676.thumb.jpg.36b0a329c7edc5b9c8bd5d7b107f5f0b.jpg

Love the skin on the trains.

DSCN4678.thumb.jpg.746e5a5702bfb72c0019579b080715d3.jpg

I find this picture really shows the length of the lift

DSCN4683.jpg.167929813a9960bc759cddcaf699cd82.jpg

Artsy shot or just crooked shot?

DSCN4690.jpg.4af58bfc1d504486f606d824ab67dd84.jpg

Train full of happy riders

DSCN4697.jpg.ddc75d85cdd092d5968764a94bf10957.jpg

Artsy shot for sure

DSCN4699.jpg.fe422c90e1a150799d09e5f6a9a6b299.jpg

"Riders your train will be dropping in 3...2...Ahhhhhhhhhh"

DSCN4703.jpg.6e0a97b8209fd54663ce93f9b6f6d7fc.jpg

Don't worry, we didn't forget about you "little" brother

DSCN4704.jpg.aacce773d1c154c5558ced306bcf2f00.jpg

Artsy again

020.jpg.40e3bcbf040560a2d157193339658001.jpg

Who can spot the new seats for Sledge Hammer?

022.thumb.jpg.4dd1db90972f2bcde297f7793e8c3fda.jpg

Fast Lane entry on the right. The implementation of this at Wonderland looked to be going great

DSCN4709.jpg.a456cb881cf60989f1c8b05041d43640.jpg

Oh Sledge Hammer :(

032.thumb.jpg.d0acea64b0013d2ef99606e1af93dc85.jpg

Shot of the Leviathan queue from the loading stairs

036.thumb.jpg.1ffb5865b99fc5c96e72b101d8cf390d.jpg

The extended "extended" queue for Leviathan while we were leaving. Aprox 90 min wait by my guess.

037.jpg.320f2232b4c391900d62b3391619a47d.jpg

All opening days must end with this! Thanks for a great opening day Wonderland.

They've got to do something to spruce up that tunnel a bit. Make it look like a cave or something. Anything is better than a corrugated steel tube.

Agreed. Such tunnels work on rides like Millennium Force because rides like that are just themed to being "big". Leviathan, on the other hand, actually has a "theme" to it, so it does look rather out of place.

I'm dissappointed that the tunnel had no theming to it, they could've done something like Bizarro (SFNE)'s tunnel or at least theme it a little bit like Goliath (SFMM)'s tunnel.

I'm dissappointed that the tunnel had no theming to it, they could've done something like Bizarro (SFNE)'s tunnel or at least theme it a little bit like Goliath (SFMM)'s tunnel.

I still have faith that it's not finished. Time will tell I suppose.

The tunnel was just added last week. Officials from the park have mentioned that there is landscaping they still need to complete. And they're hoping that Sledgehammer will be operational again this weekend

It seems that HUSS rides have really horrible reliability as the Top Spins up in Nor Cal have a lot of down time.

the only complaint I have was it was not long enough!

Here we go again...

526709_10150820730448924_95469803923_9766560_804987046_n.jpg

We’re having a Funnel Cake Faceoff! The Park has come up with 2 new specialty Funnel Cake flavours and we need your help in deciding which one to serve in the Park for 1 special day this month! Chocolate Covered Bacon or Caramel Apple? You decide. Vote in our poll until 5pm on Wednesday May 23 for the flavour you’d like to try. The winning flavour will be served at all of our Funnel Cake locations on Sunday May 27 from 12pm until 8pm.

Happy voting and may the best funnel cake win!

Vote here

As much as I like bacon, I kind of think the caramel apple would taste better as a funnel cake...

Would all the tunnel whiners like some cheese with all this whine?

Yes, it's a new ride that they threw down 20 million dollars for, yes, they added a tunnel at the last second that adds a bit of thrill. Yes it may look out of place, but is it really that big of a deal? The ride isn't "heavily" themed so I don't see why there has been such a huge amount of complaints about a feature that people wanted and asked for in the first place!

This park was under a manager who for years forwarded beatification. I'm sure they'll eventually change it. They may not do it immediately, but in time more theming may be added. If not oh well, it still looks like a great ride and complaining about such a small detail seems trivial.

It's a freakin' B&M Giga

But it has a long break run and an unthemed tunnel so I don't like it! Myah! /sarcasm

I finally got out to the park this past Sunday. It was a perfect warm sunny day, and the crowds started very light owing to it being Mother's Day (it seemed to get busier as the day went on, but not bad). We waited 20 minutes for Leviathan - and that was the front row. Can't complain about that.

I have to say I was very, very impressed with the state of the park. Virtually every surface has been repainted in the off season (and painted properly...not just another layer on top). No burnt out light bulbs and nothing out of order (well, other than Windseeker, Sledge Hammer, Time Warp and the last car of each train on Stunt Coaster). The park was in tip-top shape on par with a park like BGW. New (to me) Cast costumes looked good, and the quality of service was generally quite solid. I'm impressed, and with all the improvements they've made in recent years, it's nice to see they haven't stopped.

Here's my artsy shot of the visit:

1-IMG_8141.thumb.JPG.f2813755d69e62b9b8cefe09e62c4c67.JPG