TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

Perfect Game for Phil Humber of the White Sox. Since 2007 Mark Buehrle has thrown a no hitter*, a perfect game, and now Phil Humber looks like he'll take his spot with Buehrle down in Miami.

*This no-hitter would have been a perfect game if it weren't for one walk- to Sammy Sosa. Buehrle promptly picked Sosa off at first, so he still only faced the minimum 27.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it might be the end for Mariano Rivera.

He tore his ACL last night in pre-game warmups and is likely out for the season. After the game he made it sound like he was planning to retire after the season was over so it's very likely the end of his hall of fame career. I hate to see him go out this way, he deserved so much better than this.

A) Good news the Magic Show is taking over the Dodgers, they'll need to start rebuilding confidence w/ the public and drop ticket prices ASAP
They just paid 2 BILLION DOLLARS. Most sports economists predict that it is atleast 750 million more than the market price. There is no way they can reduce prices.

TV deal is going to make that back on its own. Especially with Fox Sports and Time Warner fighting for the rights.

It looks like it might be the end for Mariano Rivera.

He tore his ACL last night in pre-game warmups and is likely out for the season. After the game he made it sound like he was planning to retire after the season was over so it's very likely the end of his hall of fame career. I hate to see him go out this way, he deserved so much better than this.

They released another article on MLB.com

Hold the music on 'Exit Sandman.' Mariano Rivera's knee injury may be season-ending, but he vows it will not end his career.

Rivera, the game's all-time saves leader, tore the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his right knee on Thursday. He said on Friday that he plans to do everything in his power to come back for another season.

"I'm coming back," Rivera said. "Write it down in big letters. I'm not going down like this."

Therefore it may not be the end as we previously thought?

LINK: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120504&content_id=30375790&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Even though I am not a Yankees (In fact, I am a HUGE Boston fan), it is a bittersweet moment to see Mariano Rivera injured. I mean, he is one of the primary reasons the Yankees are winning games and that helps Boston, but also, it is sad to see a great like Mariano Rivera injured. He is the greatest closer of all time, love him or hate him, you gotta respect the guy.

Cole Hamels is my new hero. Bringing back the Don Drysdale mentality.

(My favorite baseball quote ever: "Why waste four pitches when I can put them on base with one?"-Don Drysdale)

• 2 weeks later...

It probably didn't make Charlie Manuel too happy that it was a close game, gave Washington baserunners, and eventually led to a run. Phillies won, but if they didn't, Charlie might have had more to say. The ultimate pie in the face for Hamels is that Harper stole home to score a run. I would say that's the best payback anyone could ask for, but a few years ago, Paul Konerko got hit in the face by Carl Pavano. The Sox trainer and Ozzie Guillen bolted out of the dugout to tend to him. They wanted to take him out of the game, but after a few moments, Konerko gets up, brushes them off, and jogs to first. In his next at-bat he absolutely crushes the ball into the left field bleachers.

There was this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12136217&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_12136217&v=3

...and then there was this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12129001&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_12129001&v=3

I think the only thing that could make that more impressive is if it was in Game 7 of a World Series, and the HR was a walk off.

I want Desmond Jennings, Sam Fuld, and Evan Longoria back already. Elliot Johnson and Hideki Matsui are horrible at defense (though Matsui has at least helped out the Rays's offense woes), but at least pitching hasn't been too affected and Moore will probably gain more momentum since the hype died down after his lackluster starts.

I can't wait for the All Star Game already, at least the Rays defense won't get so many errors.

• 1 month later...

From MLBTradeRumors:

Pirates Acquire Wandy Rodriguez

By Dan Mennella [July 24 at 7:54pm CST]

The Pirates have acquired left-handed starter Wandy Rodriguez from the Astros, according to Tim Singer of MLB.com. The Astros will also pay some of the remaining $30MM owed to Rodriguez through 2013, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter).

Rodriguez, 33, has posted a 4.04 ERA, 7.5 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 in a little over 1,300 career innings, all with the Astros. The Wasserman Media Group client signed a three-year, $34MM extension with Houston prior to the 2011 season which includes a $13MM vesting option for 2014.

• 1 month later...

From MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-dodgers-complete-nine-player-blockbuster.html

10:39am: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter) that the hold-up is the paperwork for Crawford to waive his no-trade clause. He has already consented verbally, so this is just a formality.

10:14am: There are some technical details still being worked out according to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston (on Twitter). An official announcement is expected mid-afternoon.

8:53am: Dylan Hernandez of The Los Angeles Times reports (on Twitter) that the deal is not yet official and reports of it being complete are premature.

8:19am: If there was any doubt remaining that the Dodgers' new ownership group would drastically alter the franchise, it has now been officially eliminated. The Dodgers and Red Sox have completed a massive nine-player blockbuster trade that will send Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Nick Punto to Los Angeles for James Loney and four prospects, reports Michael Silverman of The Boston Herald. Dan Roche of WBZ appears to have first reported completion of the trade (on Twitter).

The four prospects are expected to be Allen Webster, Ivan De Jesus, Jerry Sands, and Rubby De La Rosa. The Red Sox will pay just $12MM of the over $270MM owed to Beckett, Crawford, Gonzalez, and Punto according to Silverman. Adding the four new players represents a substantial financial commitment by the Dodgers:

Gonzalez will earn $21MM per season through 2016 and obtain a raise to $21.5MM for 2017-18. The total exceeds $130MM when accounting for the remainder his 2012 salary.

Beckett will earn $15.75MM per season through 2014.

Crawford will earn $20MM in 2013, $20.25MM in 2014, $20.5MM in 2015, $20.75MM in 2016 and $21MM in 2017.

Punto earns $1.5MM per season through 2013.

With this trade as well as the previous acquisitions of Hanley Ramirez, Randy Choate, Brandon League, Shane Victorino, and Joe Blanton, the Dodgers have absorbed more than $300MM in future payroll obligations in the last month or so. As Jeff Euston of Cot's Baseball Contract notes (on Twitter), the club now has a $193.75MM in contracts for next season, $133.6MM for 2014, $90MM for 2015, $88.65MM for 2015, and another $90MM for 2016. The Red Sox, on the other hand, are now on the hook for just $45.6MM in 2013, $34.4MM in 2014, $12.75MM in 2015, and $2.45MM in 2016 (Twitter link).

Both Beckett (10-and-5 rights) and Crawford (limited no-trade clause) had to approve the deal, and Buster Olney of ESPN reports (on Twitter) that neither player asked for any kind of compensation to do so. The Dodgers were not included in Gonzalez's limited no-trade clause. Los Angeles claimed both Gonzalez and Beckett off trade waivers yesterday, plus Punto and Crawford both cleared earlier this month. Bill Shaikin of The Los Angeles Times reports (on Twitter) that the Blue Jays are believed to have claimed De La Rosa off waivers, but he was pulled back and is likely to be included in the deal as a player to be named later.

Uspw_6257872The Dodgers, who currently sit three games back of the Giants in the NL West race, are adding an impact left-handed bat to pair with the right-handed Matt Kemp in Gonzalez. The Southern California native spent the first five full seasons of his career a little further south with the Padres, so he's certainly familiar with the division. Gonzalez, 30, is hitting .300/.343/.469 with 15 homers in what is generally considered to be a down year compared to his career average of .294/.372/.509 and 30 or so homers annually. Dodgers' first baseman have hit just .244/.289/.357 this season, so even down year Gonzalez represents an enormous upgrade.

Beckett, 32, has pitched to a 5.23 ERA in 21 starts and 127 1/3 innings this season while battling thumb and back issues. His strikeout rate (6.6 K/9) is a career low and PitchFX shows that his velocity has tapered off into the low-90s. Moving into the easier league and a more pitcher-friendly ballpark should help his numbers, and Beckett gives Los Angeles a pitcher with a proven playoff track record. Current Dodgers' starters have combined for just 11 career playoff starts, six by Blanton. Beckett alone has 13 playoff starts and a World Series MVP to his credit.

Crawford, 31, had Tommy John surgery two days ago and will miss the rest of the season. He hit just .260/.292/.419 with 14 homers and 23 steals in 161 disappointing games with the Red Sox after averaging .299/.340/.448 with 13 homers and 50 steals in eight full seasons with the Rays. Crawford is expected to be able to return to action early next season, meaning Victorino is likely to be allowed to leave as a free agent.

The Dodgers recently lost Jerry Hairston Jr. to a hip injury for the remainder of the season, so the 34-year-old Punto gives them some protection on the infield. He's hit just .200/.301/.272 with five steals in 148 plate appearances for Boston this year while playing all four infield positions. He's a year removed from a .278/.388/.421 line as a part-time player with the Cardinals.

Loney, 28, has hit just .254/.302/.344 with four homers in 359 plate appearances this season and will become a free agent this winter. He figures to serve as a stopgap first baseman for the Red Sox for the next six weeks or so.

Webster, 22, has pitched to a 3.55 ERA in 121 2/3 innings for the Dodgers' Double-A affiliate this season. The 25-year-old De Jesus has been up and down between Triple-A and the big leagues in recent years, hitting .301/.354/.416 in over 1,200 minor league plate appearances since 2010. Sands, 24, has been also been up and down these last two years. He owns a career .291/.363/.557 line nearly 900 Triple-A plate appearances. De La Rosa, 23, just returned from Tommy John surgery and pitched to a 3.71 ERA in ten starts and three relief appearances for Los Angeles last season. We'll have a more in-depth look at the prospects headed to Boston later today.

Dear god, the Pirates are really giving me heartburn now. They were on track to having their first winning season in decades, and now they're losing to teams like the Padres and the Brewers!

Yes, they're still over 500 now, but mark my words, the way its going now, a monumental collapse is in effect, and they WILL end the season with yet another losing record. Its just like when the Red Sox kept blowing the World Series all those years back, only much worse. Ladies in gentlemen, this is the curse of Barry Bonds in full effect.