**Traffic Advisory** I-75 South Tennessee

Landslide has caused major delays travelling through TN.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

**Traffic Advisory** I-75 South Tennessee

Postby ernierocker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey guys. After reading a couple of reports of TPRers getting trapped in traffic on I-75 while heading to Dollywood this weekend, I figured I would start this thread so more of you are aware of what's going on.

Currently, I-75 Southbound is down to one lane between M.M. 141 and M.M. 144 (Tennessee) due to a landslide that has caused part of the shoulder of the southbound lanes to completely collapse. The location of this is just a few miles south of the Kentucky-Tennessee border and about an hour north of Knoxville, Tennessee. So, obviously this will affect any of you guys who use I-75 to get down to Dollywood, SFOG, Orlando parks, etc from the north. The back-ups have been pretty significant (over 10 miles north of the landslide) especially on the weekends.

It so happens, working for the Tenn. Dept of Transportation, that the slide repair is my project. With that said, don't expect southbound lanes to reopen until after this summer! We are currently looking for a way to either add a second lane for southbound traffic, or to find another useful detour around this mess. But at least for the next few weeks, expect significant delays if you are using I-75 through the north part of Tennessee.

The best way around this right now would be to take Exit 160 in Jellico and merge on to S.R. 297 South. This will eventually merge with S.R. 63 and bring you back to the interstate at Exit 141. (Feel free to post here if you want more detailed directions) Be warned though, this is a very, windy mountainous road but it beats being delayed in traffic for three hours! You can also take Exit 160 to US-25W back to I-75 at Exit 134. This is a longer route (length-wise) but is a major highway compared to S.R. 297.

I apologize for not posting about this sooner, as it completely escaped me that this would of been useful information for those traveling this weekend. I will keep this thread updated as things progress.
Last edited by ernierocker on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:12 pm.

Re: **Traffic Advisory** I-75 South Tennessee

Postby ginzo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:21 pm

^Thanks for the info! I drive that way a couple times a year. A 3-hour traffic jam does not sound like fun.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 am

Depending on how far north you are coming from you can take Exit 29 off of I-75 in Corbin, Kentucky and take US25E Cumberland Gap Parkway all the way to I-81. I took that route a few weeks ago on my way back south and it's probably about 30 minutes to an hour longer but is a beautiful drive through the Cumberland Gap tunnel and over the mountains on a very nice and not all that curvy 4 lane road that connect to I-81 about 20 miles east of the Pigeon Forge Exit. You could probably even find a back road that connects from I-81 into Pigeon Forge the back way and by-pass the traffic in Sevierville which can get ridiculous at times.

If you are coming from North of Corbin I would consider that route, it's a little bit longer but is a beautiful drive on a safe road that should completely bypass the traffic delays.

Postby ernierocker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:07 am

^Thanks for adding that suggestion!

If you are coming from I-81 and wanted to skip the horrible Sevierville traffic, your best route is to get off on Exit 417 (I-40) and take S.R. 92 South to US 411 and take that into Gatlinburg. Would certainly qualify as a longer, more scenic route but keep in mind you will be going smack dab through the middle of Dandridge which is a speed zone. It is the second oldest town in Tennessee, so you could get a cultural credit as well??? :p

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby slither37 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for the information, I was one of those unfortunates who spent 3 hours on I-75 on Friday night.
Will definitely take the detour as mentioned above on my return trip in June.

I will make him an offer he can''t refuse.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sol323 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi, can I get more info on how to get to pigeon forge with avoiding the horrible 1 hr plus traffic due to landslide?? Thanks

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Very nice of you to post this info, thanks!

Postby ernierocker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:14 pm

sol323 wrote:Hi, can I get more info on how to get to pigeon forge with avoiding the horrible 1 hr plus traffic due to landslide?? Thanks

Here is a detour map:

Click Me

It is a PDF file. Each of these routes takes about 45 minutes or so. Both of them have some 2-lane mountainous sections so if you get car sick keep that mind. The 25W is the least curvy of the two. We ran this route a couple of weeks ago when we were looking for alternative routes and it is actually a nice little route for the scenery. (Mountain road that runs along side a creek/river)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sol323 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks so much. So these are the best for avoiding that spot? I heard today it took someone 90minutes to go on a 15mile stretch. So looks like this should add some to our drive but is best for avoiding this on a Thursday night? Thoughts?? I am going in may!

Postby ernierocker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Yes. They are the best detours and the one that the Tennessee Department of Transportation are recommended.

The back-ups have only been on weekends up to this point, but that will change as we get closer to summer vacation time. It depends on when in May you are going, you may be good to just drive straight through on a Thursday night. If you are going later in the month closer to say Memorial Day weekend, I would just play it safe and use one of the detour routes.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!