TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put much weight in the ride re-opening until you actually see it going up. And even then, how many times have we seen something be constructed in Las Vegas only to never open? Hi, Harmon Tower, how's it going?

In all fairness the Harmon tower has a major structural flaw, not that they couldn't finish it or ran out of money, it simply didn't pass inspection and now must be torn down.

But at least they didn't run out of money. They just didn't spend it very wisely.

Edited by cfc

This is exciting news, but it does look odd in a shopping center.

So you think it didn't odd in its location at the Sahara?

Well, it looks more out of place, in the Sahara the coaster blended nicely with the Sahara and the track & support colors were chosen not only to have a racing theme but for it to have "arabic colors" to blend with the Sahara.

The only thing besides $$ that I can see logically holding them back would be the FAA red tape nightmare, but given the wheel got approval and the tallest point of the ride being about 1500k feet away from the wheel, I don't foresee any height restriction issues. However its the FAA, never know what they are going to do...

I hadn't seen this since we were away...very interesting proposal. I'm also not holding my breath or anything but it could happen.

Would this be one of the shortest distance relocation's from one park to another?

I can definitely see the logic in putting a coaster in, next to the Skyvue Wheel project. It's funny that they will have to compete against the other giant wheel project, the world's tallest wheel-the High Roller being built near Imperial Palace/Flamingo for Cesar's Linq project. As long as Skyvue holds its own, this relocation project could be a winner if built.

I hadn't seen this since we were away...very interesting proposal. I'm also not holding my breath or anything but it could happen.

Would this be one of the shortest distance relocation's from one park to another?

rcdb says 3 miles. The only other ones I could think of were Magic Flyer and Galaxi at Dixie Landin' But they're further. As far as I know, it is the closest relocation.

rcdb also says opening 2013. If so, I'm finally going to Vegas to ride some coasters.

The only other one I can think of that could be less would be moving Sidewinder from the old Elitch Gardens location to the current one. I don't know how far that moved, but it can't have been much further.

If Speed reopens, that is excellent. That is a really good coaster, easily the best in the state. I hope that the trains will be switched to the lapbar only style used on Mr. Freeze and other Premier coasters, as that would be much more comfortable than Premier's horrible shoulder harnesses and would probably not be that expensive (at least compared to the cost of modifying the layout). Other than that, as long as the ride is run more frequently than once every fifteen minutes I'll definitely do it again next time I make my way out there. If that waterpark gets open next summer as well, I might have to do a long weekend trip out there (especially now that I'm old enough to gamble).

I'll believe it when I am able to ride the coaster again (hooray for a new credit if they change the layout/add more track!). But the prospects of anyone investing serious money into developing anything in Vegas doesn't seem too high...

The only other one I can think of that could be less would be moving Sidewinder from the old Elitch Gardens location to the current one. I don't know how far that moved, but it can't have been much further.

If Speed reopens, that is excellent. That is a really good coaster, easily the best in the state. I hope that the trains will be switched to the lapbar only style used on Mr. Freeze and other Premier coasters, as that would be much more comfortable than Premier's horrible shoulder harnesses and would probably not be that expensive (at least compared to the cost of modifying the layout). Other than that, as long as the ride is run more frequently than once every fifteen minutes I'll definitely do it again next time I make my way out there. If that waterpark gets open next summer as well, I might have to do a long weekend trip out there (especially now that I'm old enough to gamble).

Ding, Ding, Ding We Have A Winner:

2 Miles. World Record*

This one moved one floor down in the mall from Jeepers to Krazy City. LOL

Roller Coaster: Midnight Express (2008 or earlier to ?)

Haunted Roller Coaster (? to 2008 or earlier)

Amusement Park: Krazy City (West Nyack, New York, USA)

Classification: Roller Coaster

Type: Steel - Sit Down

Operated from 7/2006 to 2009 - 2010

Relocations: Jeepers as Python Pit

Krazy City as Midnight Express

Country Mercantile as Roller Coaster

Builder: E&F Miler Industries

Categories: Family, Indoor

If we're counting coasters within one park, Corkscrew at Nagashima Spaland was just moved closer to Steel Dragon, and, though it's listed as defunct on RCDB, Ultra Twister will be as well.