TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see Speed getting resold to another park. The layout is custom to the hotel. You would have to have just the right park to make it fit and the park would have to want that type of coaster. I don't see that happening.

Funny thing is that I went to Vegas with my family when I was 8 and 9, and I absolutely loved it. Is it the worlds most family friendly place? No. Would I bring my kids their? Yes. Back on topic here, I heard the Sahara just got bought and it will go under a multi-million dollar renovation, but they are still going to remove Speed.

• 5 months later...

Good thing I got a large library of photos of it two weeks ago.

Just found a video on KTNV, shows they are getting a move on and being careful, which is a good sign. Would love to see photos.

I guess Monday's edition of my vacation adventures will include a look back at Speed: The Ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCT9_695wUI

Edited by chadster

I work in the gift shop across the street and I can confirm they are starting to take it down. When I came into work today they had a little of the spike already down. So if you want pictures or anything of that nature you had better get here quick.

I work in the gift shop across the street and I can confirm they are starting to take it down. When I came into work today they had a little of the spike already down. So if you want pictures or anything of that nature you had better get here quick.

Can you snap a couple of photos and email them to me?

I can't see Speed getting resold to another park. The layout is custom to the hotel. You would have to have just the right park to make it fit and the park would have to want that type of coaster. I don't see that happening.
Not really, it's a very simple layout and I'm pretty sure it has proper supports from start to finish.

Having said that, it does need a trench just before the loop.

Can you snap a couple of photos and email them to me?

Robb, I will try and get some photos after I get off working today. The weather in Vegas has been really crappy the last couple of days.

I'm sure Premier wouldn't mind making small modifications i.e. taller/shorter supports, maybe a track bend here or there, all it takes is $$

Maybe they would be willing, but maybe they won't.

You can make a good amount of money off of scrap metal. Trying to find a buyer can take time and resources. Scraping the metal can get you a decent amount of money in a shorter period of time. Just trying to be realistic.

The company taking the coaster down has reported on their blog that the ride will be relocated and reopened.

With the removal permit issued by Clark County Building Department, we are now working to remove the pieces carefully to allow for the coaster to eventually be relocated/reinstalled on the south end of the strip at Akita Plaza (northeast corner of Las Vegas Boulevard South and Four Seasons Drive – across from Mandalay Bay).

Link

Their website even has renderings of it in it's new home, posted last December.

Working with Premiere Rides (the original coaster designer and installer), the existing coaster will be relocated and reused as much as possible, with the mid-section being redesigned to work within and over the existing site and parking lot conditions, and allow for new and exciting curves and bends to be added to the ride. The signature 224 foot vertical tower will be relocated and provide the turning point for the out-and-back style roller coaster. The coaster uses a LIM (linear induction magnets) system to launch and further propel the coaster to speeds up to 70MPH. Breslin Builders is provide design and associated engineering services for the site and launch building.

Link

I love it, looks like something straight out of Tokyo except much more ghetto er lol I also know it's just an artist rendering so it shouldn't be taken as fact but that would be awesome if they did add that zig zag before the spike

After reading the article it does in fact say Premier has resigned some parts of the ride so the curves after the second launch may not be to far off.

Working with Premiere Rides (the original coaster designer and installer), the existing coaster will be relocated and reused as much as possible, with the mid-section being redesigned to work within and over the existing site and parking lot conditions, and allow for new and exciting curves and bends to be added to the ride. The signature 224 foot vertical tower will be relocated and provide the turning point for the out-and-back style roller coaster. The coaster uses a LIM (linear induction magnets) system to launch and further propel the coaster to speeds up to 70MPH. Breslin Builders is provide design and associated engineering services for the site and launch building.
Here's the full story Akita Center Edited by Gigalyte

After riding Speed just before it closed, I thought I'd never get the chance to ride it again. However, it looks like I may have that opportunity again, but it being just slightly modified. I thought it was a good coaster with two good launches, but lets hope the OTSR's are changed to a softer material or eliminated altogether.

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I wouldn't hold my breath. How many times did we hear that the Star Trek Experience was going to re-open? I think the key word in all of that, is "eventually" to be re-located. Seriously, plans in Las Vegas change faster than any other resort destination in the world. I wouldn't put much weight in the ride re-opening until you actually see it going up. And even then, how many times have we seen something be constructed in Las Vegas only to never open? Hi, Harmon Tower, how's it going?

Well yes you do have a god point there If it were being rebuilt as is I would be a bit more optimistic however I can see the modifications and the cash needed to make them killing this project before it ever breaks ground sadly , hopefully if this does happen they will be smart enough to attempt to sell it and not let rust away in a field

I wouldn't put much weight in the ride re-opening until you actually see it going up. And even then, how many times have we seen something be constructed in Las Vegas only to never open? Hi, Harmon Tower, how's it going?

In all fairness the Harmon tower has a major structural flaw, not that they couldn't finish it or ran out of money, it simply didn't pass inspection and now must be torn down.