TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I have to say that that is one of the ugliest trains I have ever seen for any coaster. They really could have done something else to it but it is very unesthetically pleasing. The B&M wing rider trains look ten times better.

From the concept art of the whole train posted a few pages back, it looks really nice and the front of the train reminds me of TTD's dragster front.

There is no general theme, but everything just looks good and has extra touches that most parks wouldn't do. I agree with Tanks in that I consider Hershey to be the benchmark for unthemed parks.

Sure there is no general theme for the entire park, Hersheypark has it's fair share of themed areas. Between Rhineland, Tudor Square, Minetown, Pioneer Frontier, Music Box Way, Midway America, and the Boardwalk, there are plenty of themed areas.

But if there is a benchmark for parks that have no general theme, it's Cedar Point, not Hersheypark.

I've always thought of Hersheypark as a very attractive "traditional" park--unless you count "chocolate" as its overall theme.

This isn't a criticism. I like this park quite a bit.

^There are plenty of amusement parks that have no theme, hence why they are called amusement parks, and not theme parks.

And who determines that? Does Webster distinguish between the two? Is there an official industry classification committee?

Generally, the terms "amusement" and "theme" park are used interchangeably, and it's typically determined by what the park calls itself, or by what people call them. What makes a Six Flags park a "theme" park, that also doesn't exist at Hersheypark?

Sure, BGW and BGT would have a general park theme, but would you correct somebody who called them an amusement park? "I'm sorry, Busch Gardens isn't actually an amusement park. It's a theme park." I don't think anyone would be "wrong" for calling Hersheypark a theme park either.

It may seem silly to split hairs as many parks "fit" into both categories. I was always under the impression that a theme park was an amusement park divided into themed areas. If that is the definition, then Hersheypark would also be a theme park.

Cue the "are we really arguing about what's a theme park?" posts...

Well, if a park like Holiday World, the Disney parks, Universals, etc. attempt for and hold an overall theme, it's a theme park. If it's a park that has a collection of rides and doesn't really attempt for or hold an overall theme (CP, Kennywood, most SF properties, KD, etc.), then it's an amusement park. Pretty cut and dried to me. An amusement park can have some themed areas, just like a theme park can have amusement rides, but it's all about the overall atmosphere the park is trying to create. That's why I've always thought it was an idiotic complaint when people say CP has no theme. It calls itself an amusement park and makes no real attempt to have a theme, so what's the beef? I could see a complaint if they tried to have a theme and failed miserably, but that's never really been the case there.

I've always considered Hersheypark a theme park. It's got themed sections, after all; ones that true, used to be themed better than they are now. I remember when Midway America first opened and it was 1920s themed. It still sort of is, but the whole waterpark area sort of messed that up. Minetown seems more rustic, which is why it's my favorite area. Music Box Way has fared to worst, as I believe it used to be 50s themed, right? Can't really tell that anymore.

I mean sure, Cedar Point has some themed areas, but most of the park is just ____ Midway. Besides the western area in the back of the park, it's not themed, whereas Hersheypark is themed throughout. Comet Hollow notwithstanding.

I tend to think most regional parks are abandoning themeing areas, going more towards themeing individual rides. At least, that's Cedar Fair and Six Flags' way nowadays. I don't think Cedar Fair even puts the area names on the maps anymore for the former Taft/Paramount parks.

I always sort of thought that all theme parks are amusement parks, but not all amusement parks fit into the smaller sub-category "theme park".

Cedar Point, is just an amusement park. If you look at their park map, there are no labeled themed sections. Holiday World however, is an amusement park that can be classified as a theme park, as it the park is clearly divided into 6 different themed sections.

Yeah, there are some parks that do a lackluster job of keeping all the rides in their different areas cohesive with what the theme is supposed to be (Hersheypark and many of the Six Flags parks are now starting to fall into this catergory) but I'd call them theme parks nonetheless, because they atleast make attempts at theming, and have designated themed areas labeled on their park maps and in-park signage.

Fast Track Pass? Respect to Hershey for not wasting time with focus groups and advertising executives while picking the name for their line skipping offering. Instead, they just went to Epcot and listened to the general public talk about their day.

The trains look awesome! Any word if the ride began testing yet?

They brought the pull-through cart back out for a spin today and it's now parked at the top of the second airtime hill.

Thanks! I can't wait to see videos of the ride testing! This is the coaster I'm looking forward to riding most!

^^in my opinion the Breakfast in the Park isn't really worth the money. It's fairly pricey, as is all the food in the park and I find the food to be hit or miss. Some things are great and some are just ok. I would hit up a local restaurant for breakfast myself. Just my 2 cents...

^The BBQ place is pretty good, and you can't go wrong with the smores (although the richness could cause all your arteries to slam shut).

YES! I love Spring Creek Smokehouse (in fact I ate there tonight ). It is the most unique place to eat inside the park.

Got another Skyrush Update for you guys.

http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/hersheypark-skyrush-construction-update-106-4-14-12/

IMG_0150.JPG.64bc7e86e7fbfa7a05c0555cf9b3184d.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG.64549796fbe272d07cef8bbc973b9b24.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG.c6b7dca30c39f9d332b6bd1ca17275ab.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG.fabd256034a88519c4dbe66efb1e9733.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG.d27cf7115ddc174d23bb052458d9c550.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG.6b6d88eb9fe871ce8e00e869955c2988.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG.57191ab7e159c12c24495c2cb3d5011a.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG.b670916f656d1688c991c51451707058.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG.3d236b8f905db64e0c27f31ed60b7d16.JPG

Skyrush looks much better with those catwalks on, I really like catwalks on both sides. Also, the turn over the station of the Comet is interesting. I also think, as many others think, that if this was a giga, it would just be too much for HP.

The smokehouse is pretty good and the s'mores rock. I still wouldn't spring for Breakfast in the Park, especially when the characters are pretty accessible in the park during the day (or maybe my kids have been fairly lucky).

Didn't they change the menu at the BBQ place or something? I seem to recall them taking away some really good menu items.

dt

Now that you mention it, I heard that they had changed food providers (or something).

^*6: Third to last photo, the reach envelope is on the break run, so we could see testing soon!

Looks like the reach envelope hits the railing on the walkway, so we may see some reconstruction before testing begins.