TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

OK...I know this is a bit of an oddball question, but I am visiting Disneyland (most likely just the Magic Kingdom portion) this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to eat in the park that might have a more healthy option than the standard fare. I'm trying to reach a goal weight by the time of Coasting for Kids on June 10th, and I don't want this Disneyland trip to foil my plans.

OK...I know this is a bit of an oddball question, but I am visiting Disneyland (most likely just the Magic Kingdom portion) this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on places to eat in the park that might have a more healthy option than the standard fare. I'm trying to reach a goal weight by the time of Coasting for Kids on June 10th, and I don't want this Disneyland trip to foil my plans.

While I don't think one day will greatly affect your goal, I can try to offer some tips, although I probably can't help as much as others. In front of the Jungle Cruise you will find a stand selling all sorts of fresh fruits, and across from the Jungle Cruise at the Bengal restaurant you can find kabobs of grilled vegetables. I do know in California Adventure (if you're going there), in the Pacific Wharf area near Paradise Pier, there are numerous restaurants, including healthiER asian food, mexican food, and other options.

Hopefully that information will be somewhat helpful.

According to the Disneyland website, these are the options that have healthy food.

Blue Bayou (New Orleans Square)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:Cajun-Creole, Healthy Selections, Vegetarian

Relish Louisiana-inspired cooking and full table service in a moonlit setting while boats from Pirates of the Caribbean float past. Savor rich Cajun creations like jambalaya and gumbo as well as specialty entrees including Cajun-spiced salmon and surf and turf.

Café Orleans (New Orleans Square)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:American, Cajun-Creole, Healthy Selections, Vegetarian

Enjoy a grand view of the majestic Rivers of America at this delicious table-service restaurant serving classic American flavors with Cajun-Creole flair. Select from appetizing French Quarter favorites — including signature crepes and the irresistible Monte Cristo sandwich.

French Market Restaurant (New Orleans Square)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:American, Cajun-Creole, Healthy Selections, Vegetarian

Groove to the rollicking sounds of a jazz band on the Dixieland Stage as you enjoy a cafeteria-style meal — including sumptuous Cajun-Creole dishes like Cajun chicken salad, Creole salmon and seafood jambalaya.

Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante (Frontierland)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:American, Healthy Selections, Mexican, Vegetarian

Savor south-of-the-border specialties like burritos, tacos, enchiladas, grilled chicken and carne asada. Take a seat inside the beautiful Spanish-style courtyard, and see how this hacienda kindles the spirit of early California's romance and heritage.

Redd Rockett's Pizza Port (Tomorrowland)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:American, Healthy Selections, Italian, Vegetarian

Feed your galactic hunger with giant pizza slices, generously portioned pastas, crisp salads and more. This deep-space casual dining eatery features an open view of the kitchen.

River Belle Terrace (Adventureland)

Location:Disneyland ParkCuisine Type:American, Healthy Selections, Vegetarian

Enjoy hearty and healthful specialties for lunch and dinner including sandwiches, roast New York and turkey breast. Once Walt Disney's cherished breakfast locale, this restaurant remains a favorite for classic breakfast fare including our famous Mickey Mouse pancakes.

Tomorrowland Terrace (Tomorrowland)

Touch down at this intergalactic eatery that serves up an out-of-this-world menu. Favorite items include burgers, grilled chicken dishes like sandwiches and salads and more.

Tropical Imports (Adventureland)

Stock up on provisions at this favorite jungle watering hole. From fresh fruits to sweet treats to beverages, you'll find everything you need for all your adventures.

Here is their website: Disneyland.com Healthy Food Choices

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2012/04/06/warrant-issued-for-man-pepper-sprayed-at-disney/110735/

A judge issued a warrant for a man accused of attacking security guards at Disney California Adventure who became the subject of a viral YouTube video.

Glenn Horlacher, 53, failed to show up for a court hearing Monday. Commissioner Craig Arthur of Orange County Superior Court issued a bench warrant for $5,000.

Horlacher of Queen Creek, Ariz. is listed as a fugitive on the court website.

Horlacher faces charges of assault and battery after a Feb. 18 incident with security guards at Disney California Adventure. The guards pepper-sprayed Horlacher, but he resisted and attacked the guards, the video shows.

Visitors had to help hold down Horlacher until police arrived near the Twilight Tower of Terror ride.

A security guard was taken to the hospital for minor injuries and released.

A park visitor captured the scuffle on profanity-laced video that was posted on YouTube, which had 1.1 million views as of Thursday. The video was posted by user TheBaustin.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/new-disney-dining-email-system-to-serve-disneyland-resort-guests/

As you may know, Disneyland Resort guests may book dining reservations through the Disney Dine Line (714-781-DINE) but, beginning today, we’re offering a new way to request a dining reservation at the resort.

Here’s how it works:

• Guests may now email their dining reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com
  • Requests will be reviewed the same day, when received during the hours of 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., 7 days a week
  • Requests received after hours will be reviewed the next day
  • Guests may request Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Studio Disney 365 reservations through this email address as well
  • Email requests should include the following information:
    • Name of the restaurant or experience you’d like to book
    • Requested reservation date and meal period (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)
    • Total number of guests in your party
    • Your name and phone number

[*]Remember: Your request is not confirmed until you’ve received a confirmation number

For a list of Disneyland Resort restaurants that accept reservations, click here.

We know that Disneyland Resort guests are very excited about the upcoming opening of Carthay Circle Restaurant at Disney California Adventure park on June 15. Dining reservations are not available at this time, but keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and @Disneyland on Twitter for updates on when the booking window for this brand-new restaurant will open.

din118932LARGE.jpg.0f2fbcb183bc6d603e820f7672df463e.jpg

Its official, the Plaza Gardens close at the end of April! Disney Parks Blog

Carnation Plaza Gardens at Disneyland Park to Begin Transformation to New Fantasy Faire Experience on April 30

posted on April 12th, 2012 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

As Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and Disneyland Resort President George Kalogridis announced at the D23 Expo in August of last year, Carnation Plaza Gardens at Disneyland park is being reimagined into the new Fantasy Faire – an enchanting village square that will immerse guests in the stories of their favorite princesses. Carnation Plaza Gardens Stage will become the Fantasy Faire Stage, where the tales of Disney’s fairy tale heroes and heroines will be brought to life each day.

cpg329400LARGE.jpg.de0f805f64f0c076dddad5d7f915481d.jpg

This transformation will begin with the closing of Carnation Plaza Gardens at the end of the Disneyland park operating day on April 30. There are three more chances for Disneyland park guests to enjoy the Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party at Carnation Plaza Gardens before it closes:

April 14 – featuring Doc Anello & the Swing Machine

April 21 – featuring Stompy Jones

April 28 – featuring Swingtown

And starting May 5, Disneyland Resort guests can keep on dancing each Saturday night when the Jump, Jive, Boogie Swing Party continues at the Westside Stage in the Downtown Disney District.

Its cool that they are moving the swing dancing and not chopping it entirely. Its always fun to sit and watch the people dance. It also seems that if they aren't cutting the swing dancing now, that it might indeed return to the new Fantasy Faire Stage like was originally stated back at D23.

Also, here is the original announcement from Disney:

Diney Parks Blog

New Fantasy Faire Experience Coming to Disneyland Park

posted on August 19th, 2011 by Erin Glover, Manager, Social Media and Print

ffp310399LARGE.jpg.5c2ddeb98282decec3d3ead2021a5719.jpg

Today at the D23 Expo, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and Disneyland Resort President George Kalogridis announced an exciting transformation poised to take place at Disneyland park.

stg594344LARGE.jpg.7af6113448ce13f5405deef12e337599.jpg

The boundaries of Fantasyland are expanding with a brand new experience called Fantasy Faire. For this project, Carnations Plaza Gardens Stage is being reimagined into an enchanting village square that will immerse guests in the stories of their favorite princesses in exciting new ways.

may593232LARGE.thumb.jpg.727ac5a8ad6c88cc9ca2c0061380b104.jpg

Guests will travel through a village square surrounded by fairytale cottages and pavilions to the heart of the square – Tangled Tower, inspired by the film. The village square will come alive with activities and entertainment, including a Royal Ribbon Parade where guests can dance and interact with Belle or Rapunzel. Guests can visit the their favorite Disney royalty from such films as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Cinderella,” “Sleeping Beauty,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Tangled.”

‪The Fantasy Faire Stage will be a new entertainment venue where the stories of Disney’s fairy tale heroes and heroines will be brought to life, letting guests become part of the story as well.

‪And at night, the Fantasy Faire Stage will come alive with the classic music and dance offerings that Disneyland park guests have loved for years.

We’ll have more updates on the new Fantasy Faire as they are available here on the Disney Parks Blog.

IMG_8367.jpg.fd7c94309cf2f93a03abc2f4e7f6c7b6.jpg

Image From MiceChat

This image was from the D23 Expo

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/newly-remodeled-sunglass-icon-flagship-store-coming-to-the-downtown-disney-district-at-the-disneyland-resort/

I am so excited to announce another terrific improvement coming soon to the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort: a brand-new, fully remodeled Sunglass Icon store will open just in time for summer 2012!

As you approach the location, you will immediately be awed by the strong black architectural storefront portal that is offset by the soft glow of color-changing lights. The newly constructed flagship store will feature a focal wall made of two layers of patterned glass and a back layer with a two-way mirror to allow for visibility and dynamic reflections. The use of color-changing LED lights above the millwork and LED cubes hanging from the ceiling will add just the right touch of whimsy.

A new interactive feature will be the “Social Sun” screen which allows for a fun, social experience. Imagine trying on a new style of sunglasses, taking a picture and immediately emailing it to a friend or posting it to Facebook so friends and family can give feedback on your sunglass selection!

Sunglass Icon will open in June 2012. We look forward to this newly remodeled location and the 1,100 pairs of their top sunglass brands!

sun113892LARGE.jpg.7ab3937e24715f987302b9f01232bce5.jpg

Man, I'm really dissapointed on their decision to change the Plaza Gardens area. Although it is a dead area in the park that needs some sprucing up, that stage has allowed some of the greatest bands to play throughout Disneyland's history. I have been performing there atleast twice a year for almost ten years now with my school bands, and it's going to be very difficult for me to watch it change so drastically. And from what I understand, school bands should be able to perform in that area again once the entire project is completed. I also found out from a Magic Music Days cast member this year that once construction begins, they will have all the school bands perform in the Hunchback theater behind the Thunder Ranch area.

I welcome an update to the Plaza Gardens area. For so many years it's just been kind of "there". It sounds like they're planning for a more immersive experience, something Disney does so well.

I can understand those that have an attachment to the area as it is now from memories of playing music there, but I'd be willing to bet the changes will be more than worth it once eveything is complete.

I have no problem with taking an area that's dead most of the time and making something better out of it. I do remember when there were regular "big band" performances at the old Plaza Gardens back when I was in high school.

Edited by cfc

The area should return to its full use after the re-do. Bands will still play there and everything like its always been. It will just have a different theme then before. And the area will finally be getting some use! This is only a good thing that they have chosen to do.

Other then the fact we are losing the secret bathroom. Hahahaha

The area should return to its full use after the re-do. Bands will still play there and everything like its always been. It will just have a different theme then before. And the area will finally be getting some use! This is only a good thing that they have chosen to do.

Other then the fact we are losing the secret bathroom. Hahahaha

NNOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not the secret bathroom! How can anyone take a dump at Disneyland peacefully now?

^Hmm--the last time I was at Disneyland for opening, all they had was the band performing in front of the train station and some of the characters greeting people. That was a few years back, though.

Just wondering, but does Disneyland have an opening ceremony every day like the Magic Kingdom does? Where do they have a rope drop/show?
They do have one! its right at the end of main street. I don't remember what song was playing but there is a song and the cast members clap their hands with the music to get guests pumped. They than drop the rope and the fun begins!

Just wondering, but does Disneyland have an opening ceremony every day like the Magic Kingdom does? Where do they have a rope drop/show?

Rope drop is at the end of Main St every morning. But there is not a full "Show" like they have at WDW. If they still do anything it'd be just some music and a few characters. Not the grand scale like WDW has sadly.

Pixar Play Parade is coming back! Disney Parks Blog

Your Pixar Pals Are Getting Ready to Come Out and Play at Disney California Adventure Park This Summer

posted on April 13th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

After taking a break for the past year to accommodate the Disney California Adventure park expansion, all your favorite Pixar pals are getting ready to bring the party back to the streets with the return of the Pixar Play Parade.

The Pixar Play Parade brings to life the worlds of some of the most popular Disney●Pixar films, from “Toy Story” and “Cars” to “Finding Nemo” and “Monsters, Inc.” Along the way, the infectious soundtrack and energetic spirit of the performers get everyone into the fun of the show.

And when the Pixar Play Parade starts rolling again on June 15, fans of the procession will notice a few updates. “The biggest change that fans will see is that we reconfigured the Omnidroid float in ‘The Incredibles’ unit,” says Show Director Robin Trowbridge. “Jack Jack is now repositioned, and we are introducing Violet to the parade for the first time. It’s really cool!”

More people than ever will be able to “join in the party,” too, as the parade is presented up to twice daily along the new, longer Disney California Adventure park parade route, winding from the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in Hollywood Pictures Backlot all the way to Silly Symphony Swings on Paradise Pier.

To prepare for the return of the Pixar Play Parade, “Pixar Pals! Monster Mayhem” and “Pixar Pals! The Incredibles: Heroes in Training” will come to a close April 29. “Our Pixar Pals have done a great job keeping guests entertained during the construction effort in the park,” said Robin. “Now, we’re excited to bring back the full parade, better than ever!”

Here’s a look at what went into the creation of the Pixar Play Parade, back when it was first introduced in 2008.

They finally added dinner to the Character Dining options! Disney Parks Blog

Dinner with Ariel and Her Princess Friends Coming Soon to Ariel’s Grotto at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on April 15th, 2012 by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer

arr597424LARGE.jpg.d1f1521cddf9ffed24d8a7c0654ba3f3.jpg

What could be better than dining with Ariel and her princess friends for breakfast or lunch at Ariel’s Grotto at Disney California Adventure park during Ariel’s Disney Princess Celebration? How about a royal dinner?

Yes, beginning June 15, 2012, guests may join Ariel and her princess friends for breakfast, lunch or dinner for an enchanting Character Dining experience filled with music, laughter, delicious food and the opportunity to meet Disney Princesses. Reservations for dinner at Ariel’s Disney Princess Celebration are now open today, Apr. 15. Call the Disney Dine Line (714-781-DINE) or emailing dining your reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com.

“World of Color” dining packages will no longer be offered at Ariel’s Grotto after June 14, 2012, but guests may still enjoy “World of Color” package options at other park locations to receive a ticket for access to the “World of Color” Viewing Area.

Some new entertainment for Disneyland! Disney Parks Blog

The Voices of Liberty Will Soon Ring Out at Disneyland Park

posted on April 16th, 2012 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

After nearly three decades, the talented 8-part a cappella group The Voices of Liberty continues to “wow” guests at Epcot in Walt Disney World Resort with their amazing harmonies on such American classics as “Ol’ Man River” and “Yankee Doodle.”

Today, I’m pleased to tell you Disneyland park is getting its very own Voices of Liberty, bringing one of the great traditions of Walt Disney World Resort to the Disneyland Resort for the first time. Soon, guests from sea to shining sea will be able to enjoy the impeccable sounds of this beloved group. The new Voices of Liberty will hold court at the Main Street Opera House, also home to The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing The Voices of Liberty sing, I hope you enjoy this video of the group at Epcot. To truly appreciate The Voices, however, you simply must experience it in person!

I really enjoyed this at Epcot, and Im really excited for this to come here!

Here's an interesting look at one of the tools used to help create Cars Land: Disney Parks Blog

What’s ‘The Dish’ at Walt Disney Imagineering?

posted on April 16th, 2012 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

Walt Disney Imagineers are just as creative today as they were back when the Disneyland Resort opened in 1955, but today’s Imagineers are luckier. They have technology at their fingertips that helps tremendously when creating a new attraction or a new land like Cars Land, opening June 15 at Disney California Adventure park. In this video we take you behind the scenes at WDI in Glendale, Calif., where Imagineers are using a tool called the Digital Immersive Showroom or “The Dish.” This virtual-reality technology assists Imagineers in spotting potential design issues before construction. It also helps them to figure out timing, audio cues and special effects. It’s actually quite amazing. Take a look.