TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

^That Disney knows its audience and caters to them. Seeing the little anime girl with her popcorn bucket, or the anime school girls in their uniforms instantly transported me there. It was really well done.

Exactly! Great job by whoever Tokyo Disney's ad agency is - localized for the market, yet unmistakeably Disney, and heck, all us foreign visitors loved it too - impressive!

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2012/04/20120402_01e.pdf

Tokyo Disney Resort® announced today that the total combined attendance at Tokyo Disneyland® Park and Tokyo DisneySea® Park for fiscal year 2011 (April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012) amounted to 25,347,000 persons (19,000 fewer persons or 99.9% of the attendance figure for the previous year). However, the attendance during the second half of the fiscal year reached a record 14,608,000 persons.

The 10th Anniversary “Be Magical!” event (September 4, 2011 through March 19, 2012) and the debut of the new nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” (April 28, 2011) at Tokyo DisneySea, as well as other programs were effective in generating the high attendance. Fiscal year 2011 demonstrated the favorable attendance generating conditions of an anniversary year, despite the Great East Japan Earthquake.

In addition, one of the factors unique to this fiscal year was that guests who could not visit due to the Park closures or who had refrained from visiting immediately after the Parks reopened came to the Parks later in the year.

In fiscal year 2012 at Tokyo DisneySea, a new attraction, Toy Story Mania! will open and a brand new event featuring Mickey Mouse and Duffy will be offered. We will undertake these and other measures to continue to generate attendance.

For Reference:

Park Operating Days in Fiscal Year 2011

Tokyo Disneyland: 352 days (closed April 1 - 14, 2011) Tokyo DisneySea: 339 days (closed April 1 - 27, 2011)

Park Operating Days in Fiscal Year 2010

Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea: 345 days (closed March 12 - 31, 2011)

Total Combined Attendance since the Grand Opening of Tokyo Disneyland (April 1983) 540,191,000 persons

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how Toy Story Mania was going to fit in with the American Waterfront section, but the trolley park idea makes perfect sense--a nice addition that fits with the era that section evokes.

Once again, DisneySea is showing why it's the best theme park ever.

^ Pooh > Anything at MK's fantasyland. New or old.

Don't get me wrong... I'm really looking forward to Mk's new Fantasyland. But it won't be Tokyo. Not even fair to make that comparison.

Edited by robbalvey

And, considering the actual limited land space that the Tokyo Disney Resort has for it's own expansion in either park, compared to what WDW's Magic Kingdom (or any of it's four parks) can do (i.e. extending the new Fantasyland over old 20K site and then some...), I think TDR is doing amazing with what it has.

Speaking of potential TDR expansion, how many spots are left for new additions?

TSM is clearly going on an expansion pad... there's a fair bit of space between Indy and Discovery Bay (enough potentially for a whole new land, or at least a MAJOR attraction) and maybe something over the backstage are behind the bridge/stairs from the Med Harbour up to Mt. Prometheus (beside the show barges docks).

Otherwise, it looks like that's about it, until you start replacing existing attractions or taking out parking lot space...?

I've always found it a little mindboggling/sad that TDR (where land is extremely dear) manages to add attractions at the same rate as WDW (where land is basically free and unlimited).

I would not be surprised if they stuck in an Avatar/Pandora land beside Indy. I would just hope they'd adapt it to Tokyo Disney Sea and make it more "ocean" based (like the sequel apparently will be). Knowing TDS it would be amazing (even if you hate Avatar).

Can anyone think of anything that the japan parks don't do better than the american ones? I'm drawing a blank here.

I would argue that all of the original attractions aren't that spectacular. But anything post 1983 blows the US versions out of the water twice times over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...