TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

**Traffic Advisory** I-75 South Tennessee

Hey guys. After reading a couple of reports of TPRers getting trapped in traffic on I-75 while heading to Dollywood this weekend, I figured I would start this thread so more of you are aware of what's going on.

Currently, I-75 Southbound is down to one lane between M.M. 141 and M.M. 144 (Tennessee) due to a landslide that has caused part of the shoulder of the southbound lanes to completely collapse. The location of this is just a few miles south of the Kentucky-Tennessee border and about an hour north of Knoxville, Tennessee. So, obviously this will affect any of you guys who use I-75 to get down to Dollywood, SFOG, Orlando parks, etc from the north. The back-ups have been pretty significant (over 10 miles north of the landslide) especially on the weekends.

It so happens, working for the Tenn. Dept of Transportation, that the slide repair is my project. With that said, don't expect southbound lanes to reopen until after this summer! We are currently looking for a way to either add a second lane for southbound traffic, or to find another useful detour around this mess. But at least for the next few weeks, expect significant delays if you are using I-75 through the north part of Tennessee.

The best way around this right now would be to take Exit 160 in Jellico and merge on to S.R. 297 South. This will eventually merge with S.R. 63 and bring you back to the interstate at Exit 141. (Feel free to post here if you want more detailed directions) Be warned though, this is a very, windy mountainous road but it beats being delayed in traffic for three hours! You can also take Exit 160 to US-25W back to I-75 at Exit 134. This is a longer route (length-wise) but is a major highway compared to S.R. 297.

I apologize for not posting about this sooner, as it completely escaped me that this would of been useful information for those traveling this weekend. I will keep this thread updated as things progress.

Edited by ernierocker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how far north you are coming from you can take Exit 29 off of I-75 in Corbin, Kentucky and take US25E Cumberland Gap Parkway all the way to I-81. I took that route a few weeks ago on my way back south and it's probably about 30 minutes to an hour longer but is a beautiful drive through the Cumberland Gap tunnel and over the mountains on a very nice and not all that curvy 4 lane road that connect to I-81 about 20 miles east of the Pigeon Forge Exit. You could probably even find a back road that connects from I-81 into Pigeon Forge the back way and by-pass the traffic in Sevierville which can get ridiculous at times.

If you are coming from North of Corbin I would consider that route, it's a little bit longer but is a beautiful drive on a safe road that should completely bypass the traffic delays.

^Thanks for adding that suggestion!

If you are coming from I-81 and wanted to skip the horrible Sevierville traffic, your best route is to get off on Exit 417 (I-40) and take S.R. 92 South to US 411 and take that into Gatlinburg. Would certainly qualify as a longer, more scenic route but keep in mind you will be going smack dab through the middle of Dandridge which is a speed zone. It is the second oldest town in Tennessee, so you could get a cultural credit as well???

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, can I get more info on how to get to pigeon forge with avoiding the horrible 1 hr plus traffic due to landslide?? Thanks

Here is a detour map:

Click Me

It is a PDF file. Each of these routes takes about 45 minutes or so. Both of them have some 2-lane mountainous sections so if you get car sick keep that mind. The 25W is the least curvy of the two. We ran this route a couple of weeks ago when we were looking for alternative routes and it is actually a nice little route for the scenery. (Mountain road that runs along side a creek/river)

Thanks so much. So these are the best for avoiding that spot? I heard today it took someone 90minutes to go on a 15mile stretch. So looks like this should add some to our drive but is best for avoiding this on a Thursday night? Thoughts?? I am going in may!

Yes. They are the best detours and the one that the Tennessee Department of Transportation are recommended.

The back-ups have only been on weekends up to this point, but that will change as we get closer to summer vacation time. It depends on when in May you are going, you may be good to just drive straight through on a Thursday night. If you are going later in the month closer to say Memorial Day weekend, I would just play it safe and use one of the detour routes.

We just drove through earlier today and had no backups whatsoever. I can see how during heavier traffic times it could be slower, but around 12:00 noon today (Saturday) we had no problem getting through. In fact, it almost felt like we were the only ones on the entire road. Maybe everyone's just taking the detour to be safe?

^Yeah, you went through at a time of light traffic. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings have been the times for the back-ups. I have been up to the project several times and have not seen any traffic yet, but that was of course during the weekdays.

Hello, we r going the thurs of memorial day weekend....what do u recommend? I suppose fri that weekend will be busy or do u think thurs will be too?? Shld we take a detour? How do we view traffic say via cell phone or internet while on road to ck status? Thanks a lot

I would play it safe and take the detour if you are going Memorial Day weekend.

You can check traffic conditions here:

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm

Also, please watch the internet shorthand. It is against the site's TOS:

9. Spelling and Grammar - bad spelling and grammar will NOT be tolerated! Theme Park Review's forum includes a spell checker and there is a great one available with Google's Toolbar. If we have to edit too many of your posts, you may be suspended from the forum. Text Message shorthand or "l77t" speak is not allowed. A typo here and there is acceptable, but illegible posts are not.

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*

If anyone is planning on travelling down I-75 this weekend, please take note that there is currently only ONE lane opened going Northbound. The slide has progressed more than expected and we have had to close two more lanes. So, at this time if you are heading south on I-75 through Tennessee (from the Kentucky State Line) you will be forced to take the detour that is setup at Exit 160. They expect to have the traffic lanes back open later today but there are no guarantees that this will be able to occur. I will post more once I can.

Here is a link with more info:

http://www.wate.com/story/18169347/detour-time-extended-2-days-on-i-75-in-campbell-county

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Interstate-75 south will stay closed until at least Thursday, May 10 as crews continue to stabilize a section of rock slope near mile marker 143.

Part of an embankment collapsed in that area on March 8.

I-75 north will have one lane open for approximately three miles, from mile marker 141 to mile marker 144.

The Tennessee Department of Transportation said workers launched soil nails about 20 feet into the ground underneath the southbound lanes, toward the northbound lanes, in order to stabilize the rock slope.

Motorists should expect potential long delays and use extreme caution in this area.

Detour for I-75 south: Take Exit 160 in Jellico, follow US 25W to LaFollette and back onto I-75 South at Exit 134 in Caryville.

Wide load detour route for I-75 south: Take Exit 160 in Jellico, turn right and follow SR 297 West to SR 63 and back onto I-75 South at Exit 141.

Suggested Alternate Route for I-75 north: Take Exit 134 in Caryville, follow US 25W to LaFollette and back onto I-75 North at Exit 160 in Jellico.

Edited by ernierocker

**Update**

Here is a photo of how bad the slide has gotten:

577797_10150762354532551_79232382550_9727760_1345057431_n.jpg.f206acaafb8d4c522584f305f84c82dc.jpg

As you can see there is nothing left of the Southbound Lanes.

If you are traveling this weekend on I-75 through Campbell County in Tennessee expect VERY long delays. They are trying to stabilize the northbound lanes enough to get two more lanes open by Thursday but there are no promises. Feel free to post in this thread if you need help with any detour info.

Edited by ernierocker

That picture is crazy!

My dad's family is from the Tri-City area, and when visiting I've always wonder who there were not more incidents of roadways collapsing seeing how many are just perched precariously on huge cliffs and valleys.

I have a question for you. My church group is working in Betsy Layne, KY for Catholic Heart Workcamp in July, and we will be traveling north on 75. I talk to my youth leaders about it, and here's their question:

Is I-40 north or south of the collapse? If it is north of the collapse we could go I-75N to I-40E to I-81N to I-26W to US 23N to KY-80W. This is 401 miles according to google maps and should take about 6 hours and 58 minutes. Would that work or would we still get stuck in the traffic issue?

The slide is north of I-40. It is 17 miles from the Kentucky border. So, you would have to go through the affected area to get to Kentucky. The I-81 route you suggested would be a lot further out of your way than taking one of the official detours.

I would check back with this thread closer to when you leave to see what the status of the project is then. It is looking good that both lanes will be open going Northbound by this weekend, so as long as the project goes smoothly between now and then, you will not have a problem going to Kentucky. The problem could be coming back as the Southbound lanes are the ones directly affected by the slide.

What about taking 297 south out of Jellico and getting back on I-75 at MP 144? That looks like a viable alternative on a map, but I have never been down the road before. The traffic info channel (1620 AM at the border) says that trucks are diverted that way, but in the few times I have been through there, they are steering ALL traffic towards 25W.

I have not had much issue traveling 25W to LaFollette, but all my trips have been before noon - averaging about 35 mph for the duration of the road. That being said, on my return trips around dinner time, I have seen solid bumper to bumper traffic for the last 7 miles of 25W southbound and both lanes of 63 heading from 25W back to I-75. The detour at that time would take about 2 HOURS to get through. 63 from the I-75 and to 25W north is not much of an issue although if you are traveling N on 25W back towards Jellico - watch for all the traffic (especially the trucks) that are well over the double yellow line in corners. I have had several "pucker moments" with cars and trucks literally 3 or 4 feet into my lane. Keep your eyes on the road.

297 is one of the detours I mentioned in the initial post. They are sending trucks with wide loads down 297 as there is a railroad underpass that they will not fit through on 25W. As a result, there have been several instances where the trucks have stalled out on 297 and caused the road to be shut down. So, you take that risk choosing to go 297.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would give you guys an update.

There are now currently three lanes open through the construction area. 2 lanes are open northbound and 1 lane is open southbound. If you are travelling southbound, you should still consider taking the designated detours if travelling on the weekends (especially Friday and Sunday evenings). You shouldn't have any problems travelling northbound now.

As always, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.