TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I forgot to post this, and make of it what you will, but I've heard the 2013 coaster will not be a height or speed record but a length one. At WCB, Apocalypse broke down on us for about 30 minutes in the morning. While we were waiting, a overheard a mechanic talking with a few people near us, and he said the 2013 coaster would be a magnetic launch coaster that would be the longest steel coaster in North America (aka longer than Millennium Force's 6,595 ft). The ride will launch through the metro tunnel and run around on the backside of the hill before leaping over Superman and continuing on the front. He didn't say anything specific about height other than that it would be tall enough to be seen from the parking lot, but would generally follow the natural terrain. I didn't hear any other specifics.

Once again, this is all speculation at this point, but based on what has been going on and the hints that have been dropped it seems to make sense, and I could definitely see the park getting something like this. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it might be cheaper than a Giga or Accelerator coaster simply due to fewer tall supports.

I could be wrong, but I honestly don't see them spending the money it would cost the go for the height or speed record. Kingda ka was $25 million, and we're talking basically a one trick ride. And a ride that big would completely waste the terrain it would be built on.

The multi-launch rumour sounds more plausible to me.

Edited by Manic Monte

I think if they market it well, a length record could work. Besides, I could see people forgetting exactly what they'd heard, and thinking of it as the "biggest" coaster, and then that could turn into a rumor that it's the tallest or fastest. So in the end, what matters it's that it's any record that isn't too gimmicky.

We were also talking with him while Apocalypse was broken down (they were having a computer issue - it was saying the train was going too fast when entering the station), and boarded shortly after he started talking about the new ride, so I missed some of what he said (I didn't hear much about the actual layout, using the tunnel, or where he said it would have a length record). Anyways, what I heard from him was that it was still in the design phase, but would be in the 6000 ft length range, would have three magnetic launches, and would claim the record for the world's tallest loop. After hearing what Tim and Neal had to say on the subject, it all seemed pretty plausible (huge = long length, record breaking = giant loop and/or reclaiming coaster record, and both made a point of mentioning that the design was still in progress). Tim and Neal also mentioned that they were clearing out monorail track from the tunnel, which would fit with the ride using that feature.

Anyways, from what I heard it sounded like Cheetah Hunt, but longer, faster, and with a loop. And since the current record for loop height is Superman: Krypton Coaster at SFFT (145 ft tall @ 70 mph), it seems like a given that it'd need to reach at least 70 mph (10 mph faster than CHunt). A giant loop would also make a nice tribute to Revolution, Viper, and Riddler's (all former record holders). Anyways, I've been excited for whatever they have in store, but if what I heard last weekend turns out to be true, I think that excitement will be well justified.

^IIRC, Tim was talking about the general philosophies behind how SFMM does attractions, not actually saying anything about the possible addition itself. Same with the whole Rocky Mountain track and Colossus in regards to needed to be able to get a return on investment. Something about "I rode Texas Giant...liked it a lot...but before we even consider it we have to get a return..blah blah blah."
I think we had the same feeling for Colossus - they basically repeated what they said last year regarding their love for NTAG, but didn't say that they were definitely moving forward with it for Colossus, for various reasons (return on investment, nostalgia, rampaging coaster nerds). I'm just assuming that's their 2014 plan, until we hear otherwise. You might be right regarding the Log Jammer replacement just being a "what-if?", but I also recall them starting by saying something along the lines of "this design is still in development...", which indicated to me they were actually talking about a solid plan for the near future, not just one route they might eventually go down.

I hope it does turn out to be a water ride. It's still pretty hot in Valencia it's nice to be able to cool down.

Whatever it is they should theme it to Aquaman as well. He's certainly deserving of something. You can ride on one of his sea friends helping him out! It would be awesome.

I can imagine the t-shirts now 'Aquaman got me wet'! and all sorts of variants on the same thing.

We were also talking with him while Apocalypse was broken down (they were having a computer issue - it was saying the train was going too fast when entering the station), and boarded shortly after he started talking about the new ride, so I missed some of what he said (I didn't hear much about the actual layout, using the tunnel, or where he said it would have a length record). Anyways, what I heard from him was that it was still in the design phase, but would be in the 6000 ft length range, would have three magnetic launches, and would claim the record for the world's tallest loop. After hearing what Tim and Neal had to say on the subject, it all seemed pretty plausible (huge = long length, record breaking = giant loop and/or reclaiming coaster record, and both made a point of mentioning that the design was still in progress). Tim and Neal also mentioned that they were clearing out monorail track from the tunnel, which would fit with the ride using that feature.

Anyways, from what I heard it sounded like Cheetah Hunt, but longer, faster, and with a loop. And since the current record for loop height is Superman: Krypton Coaster at SFFT (145 ft tall @ 70 mph), it seems like a given that it'd need to reach at least 70 mph (10 mph faster than CHunt). A giant loop would also make a nice tribute to Revolution, Viper, and Riddler's (all former record holders). Anyways, I've been excited for whatever they have in store, but if what I heard last weekend turns out to be true, I think that excitement will be well justified.

Okay, that's what he was saying. I honestly didn't hear everything, and guessed at it based on what I heard (although I clearly heard him mention the tunnel, terrain hugging on both sides of the hill, 6000 ft (from which I assumed a length record), and linear motors, as well as something height related). Based on Viper's speed and loop height (70 MPH, 144 ft loop), I'm thinking 70-80 mph sounds like about the right speed for this coaster. As long as this ride has some airtime moments in addition to what has already been mentioned, I could see it being the best coaster in California. It certainly sounds like something Intamin would come up with.

^^ I was cool with the idea of a long A$$ multi-launch coaster until you said loop Why god why does this park need another loop right now.

Also wouldn't a record breaking coaster 6000 feet long or longer with record breaking elements be way past the design phase at this point? The park is already clearing land and the ride is suppose to open in 2013. I was thinking at this point in the game the track was already being fabricated or at least about to start and the park would start receiving it in a few months or so.

^^Already complaining?!?!

I would be stoked for the park to get what has been mentioned, and we all should be too so hopefully they'll actually get it because it sounds awesome. Also keep in mind some mechanics know there are guests listening especially at a coaster event and might say a couple things at enough of a volume to turn ears...

I thought the negative update was uncalled for considering the park doesn't even have to do an event, and they did anyway, and it sounds like it was fun. Then to not even go and still complain? *head smack keyboard* I like going to Magic Mountain, I have a pass and apparently a lot of other people do too for certain reasons and that's why we like visiting and talking about what's new. There's a lot of great things going on at the park and in store for the future from what I've heard, and even if it has it's flaws that's okay with me, it's fun to go with friends and ride the coasters for a day.

Off topic for a minute:

Anybody notice the new music video loop in some of the ride queues?

Well, when we were waiting for Tatsu for ERT they had that song "Pumped up Kicks" on.

There is a line in the song that goes:

"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,

You better run, better run, outrun my gun."

The park actually cut out the word "Gun" in the video. I mean, I know SFMM has had gang problems in the past, but is hearing the word "Gun" really going to cause another riot? It's not like TLC is ever going to play in the park again.

I noticed a lot of new music around the park too! Some good, some bad.

By the way, did anyone else run into Bonnie Rabjohn on Saturday? My friends and I did, and she was beyond nice (if a little shy).

She asked us if we were having a good time, and actually apologized for the "dead" areas of the park. She said the park was undergoing a transitional period, with a lots of projects going on at the same time. She had a few people with her, and they seemed to be stopping and looking at everything.

I wish she would participate in the Q&A with Tim and Neal, but I get that it may not be her thing like Jay.

Off topic for a minute:

Well, when we were waiting for Tatsu for ERT they had that song "Pumped up Kicks" on.

The park actually cut out the word "Gun" in the video. I mean, I know SFMM has had gang problems in the past, but is hearing the word "Gun" really going to cause another riot? It's not like TLC is ever going to play in the park again.

Lol, and you want what the funny thing is? In the Apocalypse pre show, the "hero" holds guests at gun point.

There hasn't been any new music added to the queue lines in months! I have heard Pumped Up Kicks playing since early Summer. They have about 15 songs they play on the loop and when you go weekly, it gets kinda annoying that they don't play anything else! And what always scares me is that the last 4 times I have ridden X2 (one time twice in the same day) I heard the same song as I entered the queue! They need some new music!! The new station music has been good, though.

^^ I was cool with the idea of a long A$$ multi-launch coaster until you said loop Why god why does this park need another loop right now.

Also wouldn't a record breaking coaster 6000 feet long or longer with record breaking elements be way past the design phase at this point? The park is already clearing land and the ride is suppose to open in 2013. I was thinking at this point in the game the track was already being fabricated or at least about to start and the park would start receiving it in a few months or so.

Because without a loop the G.P. will think that it is the same thing as Goliath...

There hasn't been any new music added to the queue lines in months! I have heard Pumped Up Kicks playing since early Summer. They have about 15 songs they play on the loop and when you go weekly, it gets kinda annoying that they don't play anything else! And what always scares me is that the last 4 times I have ridden X2 (one time twice in the same day) I heard the same song as I entered the queue! They need some new music!! The new station music has been good, though.

Why does that scare you?

Off topic for a minute:

It's just a radio edit that some stations use. We have two pop stations in GR, one allows gun, one doesn't.

By the way, did anyone else run into Bonnie Rabjohn on Saturday? My friends and I did, and she was beyond nice (if a little shy).

She asked us if we were having a good time, and actually apologized for the "dead" areas of the park. She said the park was undergoing a transitional period, with a lots of projects going on at the same time. She had a few people with her, and they seemed to be stopping and looking at everything.

I wish she would participate in the Q&A with Tim and Neal, but I get that it may not be her thing like Jay.

Wow the "ice princess" spoke to some coaster freaks - that's a first. She normally doesn't even speak to any employees or male managers either. IMO she is a horrible president - just the polar opposite of Jay!

I was at the mountain today, and it was a good day for rides. I was on the first train dispatched for Tatsu all by myself in the front row. I couldn't believe they sent a train with only me on it! Who says they don't care about their customers.

I didn't see much progress since Monday on the Superman tower, or (I'm guessing) the new 2013 ride. The old Log Jammer area is cleared out / graded, and they've put plastic on the slope away from the Goldrusher track.

I did notice several "I beams" off to the side of "Pocky's" lift hill. They not very large, but they weren't there on Monday. Maybe some "pieces parts" for Lex?The Jet Stream boats are near these I beams. I also saw some new steel platform pieces within Riddler on the asphalt.

Lastly, the construction wall for Lex now has pictures of the ride on it. Looks good...