Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Synshine » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:33 am

I've been and tasted the real thing before, and all I can say is thank god for you the show was still good. The dining however is a big part of the experience, unfortunately.

SharkTums wrote:Something about this being indoors seems really off for a 'luau'.

Even the luau I went to at the Disney Polynesian resort many years ago was held outside.

mcjaco wrote:At least they didn't serve you poi.

No poi!? Then it's definitely not a luau, just a Hawaiian-themed dinner show. ;)

Poi is really not that bad, not after you realize taro is in a lot of the cuisine anyway, and you should try to eat poi with a salty meat and not on it's own. (The latter was a the advice of my golf cart chauffeur on my wedding night.)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby dj snow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 am

Where do they host this? Is it in a venue that's used for anything else?

The description on the website says that you don't need park admission to attend, so I'm guessing it's somewhere near the front of the park and accessible by one of the alternate entrances.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am

I was actually really surprised to see the Mahiki Luau being held in the Seafire Inn. The offering has been around for many years, and I believe it predates the Waterfront expansion, meaning it wasn't always held at this venue. Now I'm curious to find out where exactly it was hosted before!

Thank you for giving me one more thing to research... =)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:00 pm

dj snow wrote:Where do they host this? Is it in a venue that's used for anything else?

The description on the website says that you don't need park admission to attend, so I'm guessing it's somewhere near the front of the park and accessible by one of the alternate entrances.

As Adam mentioned, it's at Seafire Inn. That is the nearest restaurant to the front entrance, but not near enough. Guests who are only attending the luau still go through the front gate. As near as I can tell, those guests are simply released back into the park with everyone else when the show is over, so...yeah....

I can't swear to that, though. Maybe there's more to it that I haven't observed.
Erik Allen Elness

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Just re-read this, because I got really behind in reding this. Great Oddventures!

I remember in HS our senior trip to Florida we went to the luau at sea world. I think it was OK but I just remember wanting to get a couple more rides on Kraken. Lol.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby beyondthepalace » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:26 am

Electerik wrote:
dj snow wrote:Where do they host this? Is it in a venue that's used for anything else?

As Adam mentioned, it's at Seafire Inn. That is the nearest restaurant to the front entrance, but not near enough. Guests who are only attending the luau still go through the front gate. As near as I can tell, those guests are simply released back into the park with everyone else when the show is over, so...yeah....

I can't swear to that, though. Maybe there's more to it that I haven't observed.

Well I can possibly be wrong but the I think the Luau starts just before park closing so by time the Luau is done, the park is closed so they can only go out the front gate (no rides)

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:04 pm

There's just no getting around it: We're nerds.

MegaCon 2012
01P2186052.JPG
Yes, we're off to the Orlando Convention Center for three days of dork debauchery and trying to figure out who the hell those Asian girls are supposed to be dressed up as!
02P2175997.JPG
Before this sign was erected, the Convention Center got up to 10 calls per day asking about what that silver and blue thing was.
03IMGP9435.JPG
Yes! Gymnastics!
05P2176017.JPG
"Well, this sucks."
11IMG_4455.JPG
That's a lot of nerds.
12IMGP9534.JPG
"Welcome to MegaCon! Want to have nerd sex?"
13P2186119.JPG
"With the Wonder Twins?"
14P2186075.JPG
Well, that about sums things up out here.
15P2186093.JPG
2012 was definitely the year of Who.
16IMG_4418.JPG
My point.
18Untitled.png
These are just a few of the many Doctors and companions that were running around this year.
19P2176036.JPG
This guy even built a TARDIS.
20IMG_2030.JPG
I'm not sure if anyone was actually dressed up like one of these guys or not.

(And yes, that half-joke *is* the nerdiest thing I have ever posted on TPR.)
21IMG_4487.JPG
Quick, who's this??

(Hint: It's not from Doctor Who. But it is English.)
22p264422.JPG
As it happens, I collect insurance. (Read the sign again. Okay, cool.) In fact, I have an All State policy right here, mint-in-envelope.
25IMG_4482.JPG
If you think you've seen a ghost, it's important to remember that no, you haven't.

(And with that, I am now ripping off my own Twitter feed.)
26P2176045.JPG
Ran into my friend, Sean. He's a cool guy.
27IMGP1601.JPG
This photo is actually from last year, but after that display of homosexuality, I felt I owed you. (Unless you're gay, then I guess I still owe you.)
29P1061176.JPG
I bet that'll seem like a really good idea a few years from now!

(Also from last year, coincidentally enough.)
30IMG_4437.JPG
This is Smisty's favorite artist, Echo Chernik. She mostly draws naked women eating desserts while surrounded by tentacles. In other news, I love Smisty.
34IMG_4431.JPG
This on the other hand, is my favorite artist. He mostly draws naked Harry Potter characters and their wands.

(And with that, my debt is settled.)
40P1061114.JPG
I guess you can also meet celebrities and get their autographs. We're not really into it.
48IMGP9520.JPG
After all, they're just actors. *These* are the real heroes. The people that spend all year making costumes...
50P1061125.JPG
...building Lego sets for Tyler...
52P1061137.JPG
...and doing whatever that is.
80IMGP9474.JPG
This chick won the costume contest in my pants. She was so hot that even Robin wanted his picture with her.

Even better, she wasn't a model or being paid to be there or anything. And she made the costume herself.
92IMG_2022.JPG
If you can name every one of the things referenced in our swag...then you probably spent last weekend at MegaCon, too. Good for you!

(Hey, did you get any more pictures of the Scarlet Witch?)
Erik Allen Elness

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:12 pm

^I think I just geeked out at the Doctor Who stuff. Never been to MegaCon, but I've been to SDCC, and NYCC before. This year I'm heading to Philly Comic con and NYCC.

*Yes, I'm admitting my own geekyness here.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

:lover: Oh my, I think I'm in love! (with the girl) :lover:

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:16 pm

^Yeah, she definitely win's the costume contest in my pants as well. But who is she? And more importantly, why are we not friends on Facebook?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!