TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

I'm excited about these Walhalla Wave style slides. I like the tornado funnel slides slides but after the first vertical pass it's kind of boring floating back and forth until you eventually stop, but this slides looks like it's the first initial vertical pass then off into the rest of the slide. Should be a lot of fun.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Park Map!

Right away when you look at the map you will probably notice four things:

1. Color. Aquatica is a waterpark full of fun and vibrant colors and we put a lot of thought and effort into really creating a bright festive atmosphere.

2. Water, water everywhere! In addition to several new slides, Aquatica still has fan favorite attractions from previous years. Plus, we have added a lot more places to get wet including our giant resort pools and Ke-Re Reef.

3. Beaches. Bring your beach towel to soak up the sun on more than 42,000 square feet of white sand beaches. Just imagine relaxing on these beaches in the middle of South Texas.

4. It’s Big! Aquatica was designed with more space for guests to relax and not feel crammed – giving guests the perfect setting for experiences from the serene to the extreme.

Be sure to stay tuned to our Facebook page and blog for more Aquatica construction updates, photos, blogs, time-lapse videos and the announcement of our opening date.

We hope you are as excited about the opening of Aquatica as we are!

Link!

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to take a few seconds with Brian Morrow to focus on some of the other projects he is working on for the SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties, including a look at Aquatica Texas.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Other_SeaWorld_stuff_with_Brian_Morrow_yu17[/coastertube]

Edited by jedimaster1227

Here is a picture of one of our beaches. You will see 3 sets of stairs in the middle of the picture and a path to the left. These all lead to another BIGGER beach in the background!

401544_387378957943410_140696205945021_1650772_2094871482_n.jpg.bebe96cf5542f807847bdef96b2bd757.jpg

Here is a picture of one of our beaches. You will see 3 sets of stairs in the middle of the picture and a path to the left. These all lead to another BIGGER beach in the background!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.facebook.com/AquaticaTexas

Aquatica Texas is officially set to open on May 19th, 2012!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsISAsHH4bg

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/how-do-stingrays-get-aquatica-san-antonio

When our new water park, Aquatica San Antonio, opens up this May, one central feature will be a stingray pool. This pool will house many stingrays, but the most numerous will be the Cownose ray (Rhinoptera bonasus), which will number over 100. Of course, cownose rays are not native to San Antonio, but instead can be found along coastlines throughout the Atlantic Ocean (including our coast along the Gulf of Mexico). Our aquarium department has to get all of those stingrays to San Antonio from our sister park, SeaWorld Orlando. How? That’s where an eighteen wheeler, a 3,000 gallon fiberglass transport tub, complete with life support system and some dedicated SeaWorld team members come into play. The rays have to be moved by driving them straight from Florida to San Antonio.

The transport begins with the assembly of SeaWorld’s transport unit, which is loaded on a flat bed semi trailer. The fiberglass aquarium has small porthole windows with covers, to examine the animals inside at every stop. It has tight fitting lids and baffles, which keep all the water in, while also keeping the animals safe from sudden stops and starts. Essential to the whole operation is the life-support system, which has its own diesel generator. The water is constantly filtered and the temperature is controlled by a heating and cooling system. There is even a meter that is constantly checking the oxygen level of the water to ensure a safe, smooth ride for all the rays inside. A dedicated team of aquarists follows behind in another vehicle and makes sure all is well for the stingrays inside at every stop. This way, we can bring all of the fun of wading, feeding and touching beautiful rays to you next spring. We hope to see you there! Stay up-to-date by liking the Aquatica Facebook Page!

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/aquatica-rising-sea

Right before our eyes Aquatica is coming together and the excitement is building! As we started the process of planning Aquatica we knew this area was going to go through a dramatic change. We decided early on to put up a camera to take a picture every minute of the day. Recently we put together the pictures taken from November through January of this year to create this time lapse video.

Our contractor, Guido Brothers Construction has been hard at work since last summer to help us create Aquatica. The same crew that brought you the lazy river, and Journey to Atlantis returned to help us build Aquatica. On the Aquatica project they have used 43 different subcontractors and by the end of the project over 1,600 workers will have had a role in building your new waterpark. Today work goes on 7 days a week for about 13 hours a day in order to have everything perfect on May 19th!

In this video you will get to see some amazing action through this time lapse photography. In the background you will see the construction of Stingray Falls and Ke-Re Reef. You will see the pools dug , formed and filled with concrete for Whanau Waters and Slippity Dippity. You will probably notice lots of action and even some rain. Let us know what else you notice in the video and be sure to check back for more pictures, videos and blogs about Aquatica!

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/wordless-wednesday-walhalla-wave

Check out Walhalla Wave, the first ride of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, as it's being built from the ground up!

imag0538.thumb.jpg.e2922240f78b63c775ef315c01a6d1f9.jpg

420518_395262867155019_140696205945021_1672118_1031464978_n.jpg.f4e3bacd916743f0a9083e2602b57aef.jpg

Here's a new construction picture from the top of Walhalla Wave!

432184_393967880617851_140696205945021_1667606_2101507749_n.jpg.f4bb030e926f1fb2089987b4c3276d34.jpg

Here is a great construction photo that shows some of our new kids and resort pools! What else do you notice?

396210_392009954146977_140696205945021_1663072_1829926097_n.jpg.03646c9fd7337bdc24f8b580b3b84d60.jpg

Great news! We will stay open through October 28th!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or does it look like this park is missing some of the theming and "story" that Aquatica Orlando has? I guess it will be tough to tell until it opens and we get a full TR, but it just seems to be focusing on the bright colors more than the "tropical" atmosphere in the concept art.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/aquatica-construction-update

In just a little over a month, Aquatica will be open! Here's an update on how things look at the construction site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KpqS1cj3M

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/aquatica-sneak-preview-annual-passes-have-their-benefits

On Thursday, May 17, we are going to open Aquatica to a limited amount of SeaWorld/Aquatica Annual and Platinum pass members DAYS BEFORE we open to the public with this private party! To get in to this event, you'll need to get a wristband on Sunday, May 13 from noon to 5 p.m. (while they last!). We will be distributing these wristbands at Seaside Landing where you will be able to view Aquatica from the large picture windows As with all of our preview events each pass member must be present to collect their wristband.

If you haven’t added Aquatica to your Annual Pass yet visit Guest Services on your next visit to complete your upgrade. You aren’t going to want to miss this private party! If you don’t have your pass at all yet, visit http://www.AquaticaSanAntonio.com to get yours! This exclusive event does not apply to Fun Card or SeaWorld-only annual passes.

All the attractions will be open, we will have some great entertainment, and lots of animals. We can practically hear the beaches calling your name! If you’d like to be included in the SeaWorld/Aquatica email newsletters click this link to stay connected.

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/aquatica-text-system-cuts-queue-lines-delivers-guest-service

Besides our amazing team members, animals and attractions what makes Aquatica very unique is the resort like atmosphere we have created. This is truly a waterpark like no other you have experienced in this part of the world. Many waterparks are known for steel towers, lots of concrete and, unfortunately, crowds. We wanted to go the opposite direction with Aquatica.

One of the ways we will do this is by limiting the capacity of the waterpark to make sure everyone is comfortable, has plenty of space and the chance to relax. Therefore, Aquatica’s entry gates will close once the waterpark reaches capacity. So, then what?

Of course we know where will be a high demand for the waterpark especially on hot summer days and some people may arrive after we have reached capacity. Our team has devised a communication plan to make it easy for you to know when we are temporarily closed or open. Simply text the word Aquatica to 90210 (yes, just like the TV show) to get a gate “status update.” When you text this number, you will receive an automatic response stating if Aquatica’s entry gate is open or closed. For example:

You can text this number from anywhere and anytime, which allows you to enjoy your day at SeaWorld until Aquatica’s gates re-open. You can even text this number before you get to the park to help plan your day! Gone are the days of a long line to get into the waterpark; instead, you can see shows, splash around in Bay of Play, visit exhibits and have a great time at SeaWorld. When you are curious about Aquatica’s status, they can simply text Aquatica to 90210!

Aquatica has it all – from the serene to the extreme! This exclusive resort style waterpark is going to be something your entire family can appreciate and enjoy, whether you want to splash and slide all day or curl up on the beach with a good book. We’ve added lights so Aquatica will be open earlier and stay open later than the prior waterpark! We’ve even operate further into the year (through October), which gives even more opportunities to enjoy this incredible place. See you soon!

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/walhalla-wave-preview

We're less than a month away from Aquatica's opening date! Here's a preview of one of our more extreme water slides, Walhalla Wave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-UiRVoYcw

http://www.seaworldsanantonioblog.com/aquatica-plaza

Over the past few weeks we have been taking a virtual blog journey towards Aquatica. When last we blogged we discussed The Overlook of this new amazing waterpark. Today we're going to learn about Aquatica’s Plaza.

Inside our main plaza there will be lots happening at all times of the day. Once you've passed the overlook, you'll follow a path towards our plaza. The Plaza will serve as a ticket area, gift shop/market area as well as park entrance and exit.

These never released artist renderings give you an idea of what this area will look like.

aquatica_plaza-500x356.jpg.eb9b3c1351b68006038e32ac2b7dcb69.jpg

The first part of the plaza that guest will encounter a gift shop. This shop is multifaceted and multipurpose. It will contain all the sundry items you might need (such as sunscreen, bathing suits and sunglasses) as well as Aquatica souvenirs! During your day at Aquatica, you'll probably encounter some of our park photographers. They will be stationed throughout the waterpark to help you capture amazing memories. When you head out for the day, you'll be able to view and purchase these photos here as well.

aquatica_plaza2-500x300.jpg.272a856438bc39ef7cc87ff4590a06e4.jpg

We'll have Guest Services, ticket windows and kiosks in this area for those who haven’t purchased tickets or passes to Aquatica prior to arriving and our turnstiles leading into the area will be at the far end of the plaza. This area is where we will greet you in the morning and tell you goodbye, and come back soon when you head home. In between we hope you make amazing memories with your family.

We are just weeks away from Aquatica’s opening; learn more about what is happening everyday at Aquatica’s Facebook page!

Additional photos courtesy of: http://www.facebook.com/AquaticaTexas

577888_438534082827897_140696205945021_1803434_1811558560_n.jpg.0310dda41c2731b1f9c54bb34c809b30.jpg

524615_438387352842570_140696205945021_1802603_291788248_n.jpg.b284c8cc08ae1e32d64550c5c4f8d895.jpg

558475_437627472918558_140696205945021_1800530_1095856909_n.jpg.c3dea49e72f8167e7169815dd5ceb540.jpg

528944_429360277078611_140696205945021_1778349_2135191551_n.jpg.616ded56f0ce9afe0d9e100fb09cca3e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

^^Nice update and pictures, Adam. So I'm assuming that the Aquatica in San Antonio is not as big as the Aquatica in Orlando, FL....or are they about the same in size and offer the same amount of rides and attractions???

• 4 months later...

I really hope that they'll put in a coaster within the next 3 or 4 years. San Antonio is like the red headed stepchild of the Sea World chain. Journey to Atlantis is just a joke compared to the other two JtA rides. Steel Eel and Great White are both good coasters, but with Fiesta Texas right down the road, they simply don't stack up. Aquatica looks like a nice park, but there are 3 other water parks within 30-40 minutes (Schlitterbahn, White Water Bay, & Splashtown) I feel like the park has so much potential but they always get dealt the short end of the stick when it comes to new attractions. I don't understand it, espeically since they have plenty of room to expand.

I really hope that they'll put in a coaster within the next 3 or 4 years. San Antonio is like the red headed stepchild of the Sea World chain. Journey to Atlantis is just a joke compared to the other two JtA rides. Steel Eel and Great White are both good coasters, but with Fiesta Texas right down the road, they simply don't stack up. Aquatica looks like a nice park, but there are 3 other water parks within 30-40 minutes (Schlitterbahn, White Water Bay, & Splashtown) I feel like the park has so much potential but they always get dealt the short end of the stick when it comes to new attractions. I don't understand it, espeically since they have plenty of room to expand.

I agree on some of your points. It seemed like both Orlando and San Diego have been getting some major additions (rides, coasters) but San Antonio last new ride was in 2007. They really could use some new rides. I know they got Aquatica which was a huge upgrade to the waterpark and I also know that this park is more family driven. I mean I do not see them competing with SFFT for thrill but a new coaster that the whole family could ride would really help this park. Maybe another new attraction the next year after.

Of course, if we lived in my world. They would get a Intamin or Mack launch coaster so then they could compete with SFFT.

^ But they don't really need to compete with SFFT do they? I feel like the guests that would go to Sea World are looking more for an animal experience and not a ride experience, right?

You can say that about any of the Sea World parks. Families are going only for the animal experience first. I'm sure they want to ride some attractions as well during the day. So a new family coaster like a copy of Manta (San Diego) might get people interested in the park again. I know from my family and friends, Sea world is never a park anyone wants to go to while in San Antonio. I personally have not been in years. I only said they compete with SFFT as far as thrills if we lived in my world. If you asked my niece, she used to love to go feed the Dolphins but now after going to SFFT this past summer, she loves coasters. (shes only 4) But perhaps a new coaster like Manta would bring not only her back but me as well.

^I want to live in your world. It sounds very nice there.

Whatever happened to the new coaster rumor from a year or two back? I would think they'd be ready for a new one by now. A third Manta of either kind would be nice (I can definitely see the San Diego one fitting in better).