Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 247: Frozen comes to Magic Kingdom for the holidays!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 am

Chroniq wrote:I wonder what fast passes he picked up this morning before the speech?

Peter Pan?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm

cfc wrote:
Chroniq wrote:I wonder what fast passes he picked up this morning before the speech?

Peter Pan?

Agreed probably something in Fantasyland.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby OCJ48 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 pm

larrygator wrote:
cfc wrote:

Peter Pan?

Agreed probably something in Fantasyland.

Also It's a Small World, perhaps?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm

the ghost wrote:This thread makes me sad just for the reason that Florida's Magic, Memories and You looks so much more awesome than ours. I mean, the small world reflections are nice... but the castle... that's just awesome! I am very jealous as that Valentines presentation(and really everything I have ever seen from the show over there) is absolutely stunning.

Well, to be fair, Magic Kingdom has a castle to do this kind of show on.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby GAcoaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:55 pm

The Magic Kingdom wasn't too bad today since most people seemed to stay away. I posted pics on my site HERE.

It was weird seeing Main Street closed off:

And the backstage pathway was lined with Main Street vehicles and floats as scenery:

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

We're playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. The Main Street portals are open today.

From Attractions Twitter

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/more-fun-surprises-in-store-for-the-magic-the-memories-and-you-at-disney-parks/

One of the true delights of the recent holiday season at Disney Parks was a special segment during our evening projection show, “The Magic, The Memories and You!” The faces of Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom Park and “it’s a small world” at Disneyland park were transformed into gingerbread masterpieces, brightly colored packages and palaces of ice.

Well if you enjoyed that, our Creative Entertainment team has another treat in store, just in time for Valentine’s Day! A new show segment is set to debut Feb. 1, inspired by some of the most romantic moments in Disney animation. Cinderella Castle and “it’s a small world” will be covered in red roses for one sequence and turned into a beautiful, star-filled sky for another. During part of the show, spectacular stained glass windows will grace the façades, depicting the stories of Cinderella, Snow White and Belle.

One of my favorite moments comes when the king and queen from “Tangled” appear on a balcony, lifting a single lantern to the sky for their missing daughter. It’s soon joined by hundreds of others, creating a magical sight sure to draw “oohs” and “ahhs” from the crowd. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! Of course, the most heart-warming part of any segment of “The Magic, The Memories and You!” is the images of our guests, captured by Disney PhotoPass photographers during the day and incorporated into the show each night. 

The romance segment is planned to run as part of “The Magic, The Memories and You!” through mid-April but we’re not stopping there. Wait until you see “it’s a small world” as a sand castle in a segment we’re working on for summer. It’s chock full of detail… right up to the point where Goofy rides a wave across the façade, washing it all away to reveal… well, I don’t want to spoil all the surprises!
mmy172127LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
mmy210219LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
mmy232330LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
mmy330313LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
mmy440499LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
snd123234LARGE.jpg
To give you an idea of what Disney has planned for the Summer segment coming later this year!
Viewed 8415 times
smk110100SMALL.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
smk110211LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
smk220121LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
smk330121LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
smk440211LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
smk559391LARGE.jpg
Viewed 8415 times
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Postby The SETGO Guys » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

:cry:

This has given me a more of a reason to play this game. As much as it pains me to see that card, I really want it.

Open Up Happiness

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

So yesterday I had the chance to make it over to the Magic Kingdom to try out a test run of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, which is currently play testing on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, although it is expected to go into soft openings spanning the entire week starting next week until it is ready to debut officially.

One major note to be considered before you read this photo report is that the game is currently running with certain aspects of the gameplay not yet enabled, including altered difficulty levels, game saves that continue after one day of play, the possibility of using defense spells against attacks from the villains, and possibly more that was not revealed to us during our day.

I don't want to spoil story details because this game adds so many new layers of story to the Magic Kingdom, the discovery of such is all part of the appeal of the game. What I will say is that Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is an incredible new offering for the park that will definitely give guests even more to do while at the park. Having played seven of the eight missions (not including the finale) offered so far, we spent a good six hours playing all of these straight through. But with the ability (when the game launches) to pick up where you left off on another day as well as the chance to collect (and eventually buy) new cards, there is a great deal of depth to the game that I think will make it a true success.

Oh, and I filmed a video of the new Valentine's segment that was added to Magic, Memories & You! earlier this week! Enjoy! =)

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

DSC03268.JPG
The former firehouse shop has been replaced with the base and tutorial center for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03269.JPG
This is why we were here!
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03273.JPG
The space is small, but with two registration desks and two tutorial booths, they move guests through very quickly.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03281.JPG
The center booth is purely for show but the two outside sections are training portals.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03290.JPG
The game requires very little technical knowledge (at least in the form we played).
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03293.JPG
Each guest is supplied with five spell cards as well as a sorcerer key card. The key card stores your progress (presumably via RFID) and activates portals by running it against the keyhole at each station.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03297.JPG
Merlin is the main protagonist of the story, guiding you through each quest as they begin and end.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03304.JPG
Here were my cards for the day. Each guest can get five cards per day, using an active admission ticket that day.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03307.JPG
Since I was with a friend, we had ten cards total, and there were no duplicates between us.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03308.JPG
There are currently 70 cards in active circulation, although one of them is EXTREMELY rare and is quickly being pulled from the distribution when found. We were told that the number of cards is expected to increase down the road, with the option to buy new cards also being a strong possibility in the near future.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03309.JPG
Along with your cards, you are given a nifty little map that details all of the locations found within the game (so far).
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03310.JPG
Our first mission was on Main Street USA. Main Street has one story, Adventureland has three, Frontierland/Liberty Square has two and Fantasyland has two. After completing all available missions, a final mission against Hades is available for play.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03314.JPG
Starting our mission on Main Street, we were led a new time board which hosts a portal.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03331.JPG
The total story of the game is that Hades is seeking to gain the pieces of Merlin's Crystal of the Magic Kingdom to take over. Teaming with villains he has found in his river of souls (meaning that all of the villains he works with have been dead), he orchestrates a plan to get exactly what he wants.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03333.JPG
Most of the original voices (including James Woods) returned to voice their respective characters, aside from the few that had passed away, as well as David Spade who did not return to voice Emperor Kuzco.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03337.JPG
After finishing each duel/challenge at a portal, you are directed to the next location you are meant to visit.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03340.JPG
Do you know where the portal is?
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03343.JPG
Found it!
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03346.JPG
Hidden camera?
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03354.JPG
Main Street has some of the best-camoflagued portals in the park.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03361.JPG
Henchmen of the main villains are also included in the game, giving you an early chance to play around with some spells.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03364.JPG
Much of Main Street is under tarps for refurbishment.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03366.JPG
The blending of the portal is pretty unique here.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03375.JPG
Though it does make it a little harder to see the portal details.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03377.JPG
Another well disguised window.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03387.JPG
Spells can be performed using multiple cards at once, and while it doesn't currently affect the outcome of the game, it should matter when the full launch is in place.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03417.JPG
A second recruitment booth can be found in Liberty Square right behind the Christmas Shoppe.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03427.JPG
Some of the portals are loading with extra details, like this one found in Liberty Square.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03442.JPG
Some sections of the mission require the use of the back of your spell cards, or the Sorcerers Crest, as it is referred to in the game.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03447.JPG
Time to activate another portal!
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03465.JPG
Some of the portal locations have received an engraved logo marking where players are meant to stand. Some of the locations still have the sticker in place instead.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03468.JPG
Frontierland is currently in the middle of a massive repaving project, forcing the Main Street Electrical Parade to go on hiatus for a short time.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03465.JPG
Some portals are hidden behind curtains to help blend them into their respective environments.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03516.JPG
Dr. Facilier is one of Liberty Square/Frontierland's villains.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03533.JPG
Found a neat little tribute to Disneyland... "The gateway to Nature's Wonderland!"
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03538.JPG
Giving the multiple spells trick another try.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03554.JPG
One of the more low-key windows in Adventureland.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03556.JPG
Merlin can be found on land-specific attractions at the beginning of each mission. Here he is found on the Jungle Cruise and in Fantasyland you can see him in the Mad Tea Party Teacups.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03584.JPG
The portal at the tower near Pirates of the Caribbean worked quite well.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03592.JPG
We used the "Pink Elephants on Parade" spell to take out one of Scar's henchman hyenas.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03598.JPG
The portal in the Tortuga Tavern fireplace was also extremely well themed.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03603.JPG
Some new details have appeared in the Tortuga Tavern tying into the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03617.JPG
Another Adventureland portal sits to the right of the Sunshine Tree Terrace (sadly, no Orange Bird to be found).
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03648.JPG
The pathway between Haunted Mansion and the old Fantasyland Skyway building is beginning to be cleared.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03652.JPG
A large construction wall now blocks off the entire Skyway area. A new restroom building is expected to be built next to the new path, meant to replace the soon-to-close restrooms next to Peter Pan.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03654.JPG
The Fastpass line for Peter Pan is currently being worked on.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03655.JPG
Despite the removal of Dumbo and the expansion of the construction walls into Fantasyland, the space does look a lot more open with Dumbo now out of the way.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03657.JPG
The Castle Retaining Wall continues to receive new detail.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03660.JPG
Scaffolding is coming down around the Be Our Guest Restaurant as it draws closer to facade completion.
Viewed 8249 times
DSC03664.JPG
Storybook Circus is expected to open around March with one of the two Dumbo spinners, the Fantasyland Station, the Casey Jr. Splash & Soak Station and The Barnstormer.
Viewed 8249 times
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:51 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm

(Continued)
DSC03666.JPG
New structure work has begun on the end of The Little Mermaid realm in preparation for the Scuttle's Scavenger Hunt section of the building.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03668.JPG
Work continues on Prince Eric's castle.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03671.JPG
An early sign piece has arrived, and while it isn't the final product, I believe this is the entrance to the restrooms, as pointed out in a blueprint of the complex.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03676.JPG
The brickwork on the Fantasyland Station (the official title of the new train station) is done.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03677.JPG
The newer Dumbo spinner is nearly complete and has been frequently testing since its installation.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03679.JPG
Dumbo's circus tent is also nearing completion.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03705.JPG
Over in Fantasyland, the portals blend in extremely well!
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03707.JPG
This window is located next to Philharmagic.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03722.JPG
The game got a little backed up due to how many players were in rotation, but we never waited more than a few minutes for our turn at a portal.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03728.JPG
Each storyline has a few twists, including some villains who try to backstab Hades.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03792.JPG
SHARK! SHARK! SHARK!!!
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03798.JPG
Merlin's lab is the location of another portal found in Fantasyland.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03826.JPG
The Barnstormer will be the ride's official title when it returns, though the Great Goofini story will be kept.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03830.JPG
The construction walls for New Fantasyland are encroaching on Fantasyland's territory.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03832.JPG
There won't be anything left of the old Skyway building soon enough.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03836.JPG
Thunder Mountain is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03837.JPG
Very clever!
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03839.JPG
Work can be seen on the ride from the train.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03840.JPG
Should look great when it comes back!
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03841.JPG
Lots of work being done here!
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03848.JPG
A look at the train side of the Fantasyland Station.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03856.JPG
The Barnstormer's station has been completely updated with a new look.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03863.JPG
Over in Stitch's Great Escape, I noticed this little beauty sitting on a seat that was out of commission for the day.
Viewed 8247 times
DSC03864.JPG
We're seizing the future...
Viewed 8247 times

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!