TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Since I've never been to Hershey before, the initial release made it very hard to really see where the ride was being built, the surrounding landscape, etc. You would think that with the massive buildup they had for the ride they would have put a little more effort into the animations to give the potential newcomers a better idea of the finished product. Personally, that'd probably the main reason why I'm so underwhelmed. To me, it just seemed like a twisty coaster plopped over water.

Now that there have been some more pictures of the progress that really show the scale for the ride, I will admit that it is looking better. I'm sure the completed ride will be fantastic, especially as the testing starts and we get a much better view of the scale and terrain interactions of the ride. But with what we've been given from the park since day one, it really didn't grab me right away like some of the other recent announcements did.

That's all I'm saying.

^I'm definitely with you there. Trust me, you aren't alone. The video for Fahrenheit was at least a little better...but it would be great to see a little more effort put in to those videos. However. When we were at ECB, we were told that the team had a $3000 budget to do everything they did this year. And if accomplishing everything they did on that budget means a crappier animation, then I'm all for it.

Either way, as this thing gets built it looks better and better, and it shows up that animation completely. Just wait for it to go ripping around that course - it looks like that second hill is just half the height of the first.

Just took a quick drive by the construction site after going to the Bears game, and I gotta say, it looks amazing in person! The track is enormous (as previously stated) , and the [insert disputed name for twisty droppy element here] is overflowing with Intamin hotness! The far airtime hill ws started, and it looks pretty shallow, but knowing Intamin it'll still produce some mad airtime. Can't wait to see where construction heads in the next few weeks.

Edited by IanKgtr

those rails can be used for anything. They are like the modifier rails on an M16, you can put trims, sensors, or whatever else fit to bolt to it. My guess will be sensors, its in a spot where speed is going to be monitored, and as insane as this thing is going to be i would bet good money if its going too fast on a repeatable basis trims may be bolted to that in the future. Its all about putting in the infasturcture now so they are not having to weld it on later.

those rails can be used for anything. They are like the modifier rails on an M16, you can put trims, sensors, or whatever else fit to bolt to it. My guess will be sensors, its in a spot where speed is going to be monitored, and as insane as this thing is going to be i would bet good money if its going too fast on a repeatable basis trims may be bolted to that in the future. Its all about putting in the infasturcture now so they are not having to weld it on later.

I'm not sure if that can be said since different components have to be positioned in specific places. A trim and a proximity sensor probably won't both be located in the center of the track, for example.

In the picture of Fahrenheit above, that most certainly looks like trims could go on the outer two rails and sensors in the middle.

This pretty much explains my thoughts: http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/Intimidator305-19.jpg

^ Proximity switches are the green little boxes in the middle of the track. They tell the computer system that the right amount of cars have cleared a Block/ section of track. The lasers are known as Photo eyes and they tell the computer system that there is a train in that block section.

This coaster is turning out to look a lot better than I originally thought it would. The stengel dive looking element looks fantastic. Looks like I'm gonna have to make the trek out to Hershey next summer. For those who work at the park or are very familiar with it, whens the best time of the year and the best days or the week to visit?

I think Intamin just puts those there as a "just in case" situation for when the testing proves that the train is in fact going faster than planned. It is a lot easier to just screw fins into an existing rail than to have to weld a rail onto the track during the testing phase.

And while proxys seems more likely to be put on a bar like that, they do not seem likely to be put at that section of track. There's no point considering it is right smack in the middle of a block. Proxys only need to be positioned at the beginning and end of a block.

I think Intamin just puts those there as a "just in case" situation for when the testing proves that the train is in fact going faster than planned. It is a lot easier to just screw fins into an existing rail than to have to weld a rail onto the track during the testing phase.

And while proxys seems more likely to be put on a bar like that, they do not seem likely to be put at that section of track. There's no point considering it is right smack in the middle of a block. Proxys only need to be positioned at the beginning and end of a block.

False.

Many coasters have proxy's in the middle of the ride to allow proper dispatching of vehicles. What this allows is for trains to be dispatched at a quicker interval. Instead of waiting for the block ahead of it to be cleared it can allow dispatching of a train when the train ahead of it is far enough in front that it will clear the block before the dispatched train clears the lift. Of course, the train will stop should the train ahead encounter some delay. This just allows dispatch intervals to be higher. Make sense?

Also Proxy's are used for more than just blocks. They can be used for vehicle speed, "bogey counters", anti-rollback sensors, and a million other uses.

I would hazard a guess to say that the break-beam sensors are no longer used and Proxy's are the go-to for all new coasters.

There is no way they can safely dispatch a train where that piece is. First, it's just about impossible to get a train out that quick in most parks, including Hershey. Second, letting the second train dispatch when the first is just past the Stengel dive/overbank won't give the first enough time to clear the main ride block. And if it's for ride speed, I would put all my money in it measuring ride speed for the purpose of having a trim on that same spot, and just after the sensor.

I would hazard a guess to say that the break-beam sensors are no longer used and Proxy's are the go-to for all new coasters.

Both types of sensors have different applications, so it really depends on the operation of the coaster. Wicked Twister utilizes photo-eyes for more accurate speed control while Raptor utilizes them as a back up safety system for the blocks (both relatively old, but the only coasters I actually know of unfortunately)

Many coasters have proxy's in the middle of the ride to allow proper dispatching of vehicles...

...They can be used for vehicle speed, "bogey counters", anti-rollback sensors, and a million other uses...

As far as I know, this is simply determined by operator. Coasters need to have a method of actually stopping trains in the blocks in case of early dispatch in order to perform daily testing of the blocks. Also, I doubt a simple block coaster like this would need 'rollback proxys' (I don't even know any coasters that have these, especially at the bottom of a turn) since in the scenario the train happens to roll back, the block will still be considered "occupied." I also highly doubt proxys at this location would be for speed sensory unless retractable trims are installed somewhere within the circuit. Simple circuit coasters sense overspeed by timing the blocks from beginning to end rather than having sensors within the circuit to simply 'sense the speed.'

I am not ruling out the possibility that proxys would be placed there, I just don't see any logical reason they would be. In fact, given this will be a coaster with lift components similar to I305, the horizontal location of that bar would suggest that it is for proxys rather than brakes. It's just very bizarre.

Also, I doubt a simple block coaster like this would need 'rollback proxys'

All B&Ms have proximity sensors that count anti-roll backs and chain dogs as the train enters the station.

In this image you see 3 green devices in the center of the image.

The 2 outer devices toggle the anti-rollbacks to verify that they retract and come back out. There's a proximity sensor on the other side that counts them. The center device toggles chain dogs and there's a prox sensor on the other side that counts them as well. Only Dive machines have 3 toggling devices as shown here as they are the only B&M coasters that have anti-roll backs side-by-side as shown in the image of a Griffon train undercarriage below.

Source

All other non-dive coaster B&Ms only have 2 toggling devices, 1 for anti-rollbacks and 1 for chain dogs.

Intamins don't have these to my knowledge but a lot of their coasters (as well as B&Ms) have prox sensors that count brake fins. Granted you are correct in that this brake fin counting will not be taking place mid-circuit.

Can we please stop talking about the tiny line in the middle of that section of track?

There's nothing installed there yet, so we have nothing to worry about.

From this angle, that element reminds me (in a good way) of the High-Five element on the new wooden coaster at Happy Valley Wuhan. Especially the description in the IAAPA video of going sideways through an airtime hill.

Can we please stop talking about the tiny line in the middle of that section of track?

There's nothing installed there yet, so we have nothing to worry about.

Yes!

And arguing with someone that works in a park and has significant knowledge of coasters and their operations......well, I guess those High School Diplomas are actually engineering degrees.

*sigh*

Edited by mcjaco

The webcam shows that they finished the middle of the last bunny hills, and started the first (twisty) one. I wonder what else they'll get done today?

Right? Cmon Hershey guys, where is our update today?

Really though, never been so excited as to see how this thing progresses

Is it May yet?!?

HEEL CUJO! HEEEEEEEEL! You have to wait till the train with ME on it returns first!