Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 149 - Opening Day Report from Flower & Garden
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby ernierocker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 pm

^Yeah, I know what you mean and have felt the same way about living in Orlando or even a place like Las Vegas.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 pm

^I agree, I lived in Orlando for a few years and didn't go to the parks nearly as often as I thought I would even with passes. The only thing that I really miss is new attraction openings and the seasonal events like HHN, Mickey's not So Scary, Seaworld's Christmas, and food and wine festival.

While I was working at Disney my wife had an EPCOT after 4pm pass that was perfect, if i still lived there I could probably get by with just that pass for a few years until Avatar and some of the other major expansions are open.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 pm

I think you just have to balance it correctly. We live in a nice non-touristy area, but we can be in the 'touristy' area in 10 minutes and be at parks in 20 minutes. Robb has gone to the parks far more than I have. It's nice to have them as an option year round right down the street but not annoying me other times.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

^That's exactly right, and for the most part those seasonal event that I love are during non-tourist times for the most part which is usually the best (darn near the only) times to visit some of the parks. I guess working in the parks part of the time I lived in Orlando kind of burned me out a little bit too, after working a 40-60 hour week the last place you want to be on a day off is back in a park. But your right, for a local (who doesn't work in the parks) a good balance is definitely the key to not losing the magic.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

^Oh yeah, it's working in the park that killed you. When I was working at a park it ruined me from ALL parks. It's one of the reasons I won't ever go back to working at a park again even if it's behind the scenes.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Once again I had the opportunity to revisit Epcot to check out the latest changes to the park... This time, I was visiting to try out the new Katsura Grill which opened a few weeks ago as the replacement of the former Katsura Grill quick service dining location in the Japan Pavilion.

Of the two items I tried, both were good. The first, the Okanami Yaki is best described as a vegetable pancake whose ingredients I couldn't figure out if I tried. Normally served with a hearty helping of mayo on top, I opted out of that because I'm not a fan of the condiment (though I don't hate it as much as Tyler). The other item, the Tonosama Combo was an updated version of the item offered on the old restaurant's menu, including a combination of teriyaki beef, chicken and (new to the combo) salmon. The combo is served with white rice and a small serving of steamed vegetables.
DSC01352.JPG
No RFID turnstiles here!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01365.JPG
The interior of the Katsura Grill was revamped to take on a more modern feel, similar to that found in Tokyo Dining on the other side of the pavilion.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01366.JPG
It feels less like a pagoda and more like trendy Japanese establishment. Plus, the new lighting fixtures and seating arrangement make the building feel a lot bigger.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01370.JPG
Aside from the Curry Udon and the Teriyaki Salmon, this section of the menu is a carry over from the old Yakitori House menu.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01369.JPG
Tsukemen as well as the curry, Okonomi Yaki and the Chicken Cutlet Pan are all new.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01368.JPG
You can also get Matcha Roll Cake or specialty ice cream now.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01372.JPG
Of the three proteins in the combo, the salmon was the tastiest!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01373.JPG
Here is the Okonomi Yaki (sans mayo). It really is one huge vegetable pancake.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01375.JPG
Not sure how I ever missed this, but Mitsukoshi sells cans of Mitsuya Cider! Seriously my second favorite soda from Japan (behind the famed Fanta Melon)! Also in my bag of purchases was a package of strawberry jelly cubes and even more Mitsuya Cider!

Also, I was with friends that wanted to celebrate my birthday a few days early, hence the button.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01377.JPG
In case you didn't know, the holiday crowds are in town.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01378.JPG
Test Track's 90 minute wait had an extended queue for the Stand By line far outside of the entrance.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01379.JPG
Lines have been set up within the Mission Space for the eventual holiday crowds that will soon flood it.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01383.JPG
Yep. We did Mission Space!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01384.JPG
I don't remember these being here last time I rode...
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01385.JPG
I pride myself in the fact that I actually saw the movie this was (and Gary Sinese were both) featured in.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01386.JPG
That being said, I'm guessing no one in this crowd ever saw Mission to Mars.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01398.JPG
Ready for Lunar Orbit Insertion.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01405.JPG
A portrait of a true hero.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01411.JPG
Sorry guys, couldn't contain myself.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01415.JPG
Looks like we got the Geonosis ending! Can't wait to visit the Death Star and see the Mighty Microscope tribute!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01417.JPG
STOLPort in the winter.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01419.JPG
Nobody move a muscle.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01420.JPG
I'm an astronaut now!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01425.JPG
Back at Test Track, four re-skinned cars are in circulation on the track.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01430.JPG
Looks a bit like Tron, right?
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01433.JPG
"Welcome to the TRON Track!"
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01437.JPG
"Rectify Two, Five and Seven."
"Seven?"
"Affirmative. Seven."
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01439.JPG
"The Grid. I tried to picture clusters of information. What did they look like. With circuits like freeways…"
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01444.JPG
Okay, back to being serious.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01445.JPG
Here's five.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01446.JPG
Seven? Yeah, seven.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01467.JPG
Haven't seen this one from me before.
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01468.JPG
When I strike it rich, one of mansion's many bedrooms will be a replica of this room. No joke!
Viewed 4559 times
DSC01479.JPG
Have a nice flight!
Viewed 4559 times
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby pdcon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 pm

I lived in Orlando for 1 year and loved it, I am hoping to get out of Cali and back to Orlando for good. I worked at WDW, but i worked in the resorts, all the Bay Lake resorts to be Specific. It was amazing, there is so much that goes on In WDW year round, that it never seemed to got old, I found my self in a park daily it felt like. I see how you would want to not visit parks that you work in, but i think working in the reports really helped me.
TOP 5 COASTERS (5) X2 (4) XCELERATOR (3) EXPEDITION EVEREST (2) SUPERMANS ULTIMATE FLIGHT (1) BIZZARO

Anyone remember the days when these were called Taglines?
I really need a girl who's name doesn't end in .JPG

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Adam, I did read correctly that TT was going down for a major refurb this spring, correct?

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:20 pm

^While nothing has been released officially, it is expected that the ride will undergo a major refurbishment some time after Easter break this coming year.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm

The food at the new Japanese restaurant looks great--and really makes me miss Japan. I like the look of the "newly skinned" Test Track cars, too.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!