TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

The parts of the ride after the first 2 hills is pretty twisty- and it's going to be absolutely flying.

Just because it doesn't have the same shaped twists as I-305 doesn't mean it's not the same style, right?

I don't keep tabs on the "style" of coasters (for example, "old-school vs "new-school" B&M). What I see in Intimidator 305 is a bunch of wide turns, one after the other, with two hills in a row built in between. I don't see any of that on Skyrush.

Okay. So Sky Rush isn't like Intimidator 305. Who woulda thunk it? Two obviously different coasters....are different.

Can we move on now....

so we can all say its inspired by, so why do we talk about how its inspired by and talk about how freaking awesome that turn into a hill with nothing below you but dirt and water will be instead of listening to you fanboys go OMGZ LIKEZ TOTALLY RIPPED OF I305

Please find the post and quote where anyone said that. I think the only major comparison that has been made is the lift hills, which ARE almost identical (except for height, of course). Nobody thinks that Hershey is ripping KD off, nobody thinks SkyRush will be diminished by 305, and nobody thinks it's a bad thing that SkyRush was created with 305 in mind. I'd much rather they channel the spirit of 305 than some crap ride. This thread has been a headache wrapped around a train wreck for about the last 8 pages. Just let it go, Hershey people. Nobody is saying anything bad about your new ride.

Thanks for the update- fantastic as always! Can't wait to see the lift track tower over Comet and the hollow.

Speaking of Comet, has the park said anything about the relocation of its queue? It usually draws quite a crowd in the summer, and wherever the queue is going to be relocated, it should be pretty sizable.

I get the feeling that the pull-out for this ride will make it's first drop one of my favorites around. When it comes to the first drop on a hypercoaster, B&M's are the only ones that really do anything for me- probably because of their trains (and in the case of Raging Bull and Apollo, the pre-drop as well). This one looks like it may change that.

Speaking of Comet, has the park said anything about the relocation of its queue? It usually draws quite a crowd in the summer, and wherever the queue is going to be relocated, it should be pretty sizable.

I don't believe they have said a thing about it, even though the placement of the footers on the plot makes it inevitable. That said, without concession and games stands flanking the space, there should be plenty of room to run it further down the perimeter of the Comet.

I wouldn't mind if they ran the entrance through the exit area. It would tuck the line away and into a much more scenic area. I always thought that queue line could have been placed better. I never noticed until the summer how pretty the view is on the exit path. It would have nice views of Skyrush too.

Hersheypark has sent us a press release regarding the election of a new Chairman of the Board as well as the announcement of the CEO succession plan effective January 1st, 2012 when Ted J. Kleisner retires.

The Board of Directors of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company (HE&R) announced today that Ted J. Kleisner, Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board, has been elected Chairman of the Board. The position is effective January 1, 2012.

The Board also approved Kleisner’s succession plan, which outlines his planned retirement on December 31, 2012. Upon retirement next year, Kleisner will stand for re-election to the HE&R Board as an independent, non-executive Board member. Kleisner has been a member of the HE&R Board since 1996, and he and his wife plan to continue to reside in Hershey.

The succession plan identifies William F. Simpson, Jr., currently the company’s President and Chief Operating Officer, as the successor to the position of Chief Executive Officer upon Kleisner’s retirement. In a related Board action, Simpson was elected to the HE&R Board, effective immediately.

“I am so pleased that the Board has embraced Bill as the right person to succeed me as CEO of the company. It’s without question that Bill has all the right skills and intangible qualities to excel as the next Chief Executive Officer of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts,” Kleisner said. “We’d be hard pressed to find anyone who could match the depth and breadth of Bill’s experience in our industries. His comprehensive understanding of the businesses in which we operate will position us well for success.”

“I am honored and humbled by the faith that Ted and the rest of the Board have placed in me,” Simpson said. “My goal will always be for our company to keep our focus on our primary mission of employee and guest service, and to ensure our ongoing devotion to the legacy of our founder, Milton S. Hershey, as well as our mission to support the Milton Hershey School.”

Simpson has extensive resort experience and also spent eight years running HE&R’s entertainment operations. He began his career with HE&R in 1996 as the General Manager of the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center (now Hershey Lodge). He oversaw the extensive expansion of the Lodge in 1998 and guided that property to record years during his tenure.

He became Vice President of the Entertainment Group in April 2002 and oversaw the operation of the Hersheypark Entertainment Complex. During his tenure with the Entertainment Group, he guided the Park to achieve all-time records in its performance categories, while also achieving new levels of guest-satisfaction scores.

In April 2010 Simpson was promoted to Chief Operating Officer, then to the role of President in November 2010.

“Bill has both a history of success and a true enthusiasm for encouraging people to develop to their fullest potential,” Kleisner said. “He understands the significance of strong leadership and leadership development and the importance of putting the guest and the employee experience at the forefront of every decision.”

Prior to joining Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, Simpson was General Manager of the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Houston, Texas. Other key leadership positions were with the Williamsburg Inn, The Opryland Hotel and Hyatt Hotels Corporation.

Simpson has been an active member of hospitality and tourism trade organizations, including the Small and Independent Hotel Committee of the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AH&LA). He also has been a member of the Certification Commission of AH&LA’s Education Institute, and he earned the degree of Certified Hotel Administrator and Certified Rooms Division Executive from AH&LA.

Simpson graduated from Appalachian State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration/Hotel and Restaurant Management. He, his wife and their two children reside in Hershey.

I wouldn't mind if they ran the entrance through the exit area. It would tuck the line away and into a much more scenic area. I always thought that queue line could have been placed better. I never noticed until the summer how pretty the view is on the exit path. It would have nice views of Skyrush too.

I think that's a fabulous idea, but I can see why they didn't handle it like that when they moved the unloading area and exit path to that side of the station. I think has to do with the platform being narrower on that side, since originally you boarded and unloaded on the outer side of the station there was no reason make the inside belt of the station any wider than to accommodate ride attendants safely. There just isn't enough room for stalls and air gates over there without a major overhaul of the station. It would also put the entrance behind the buildings in Founder's Circle in a not-so-visible spot.

I think they could make it really fit in with the founders circle theme there, maybe put in those faux roof things with big clear bulbs on them, maybe some lattice work like on the Racer at Kennywood. They could rework the station a little bit. I think it would make it seem more classic.

I think that's a fabulous idea, but I can see why they didn't handle it like that when they moved the unloading area and exit path to that side of the station. I think has to do with the platform being narrower on that side, since originally you boarded and unloaded on the outer side of the station there was no reason make the inside belt of the station any wider than to accommodate ride attendants safely. There just isn't enough room for stalls and air gates over there without a major overhaul of the station. It would also put the entrance behind the buildings in Founder's Circle in a not-so-visible spot.

Yes, but other than people eating at Crustano's Deli and people riding or waiting for people on the Comet, that path back there isn't heavily walked on since it's tucked back in a small corner. If there was a second path, then maybe, but I think it's fine where it is. I am curious to what they are going to do with the queue though since they tore up half of it. I hope that there's a more permanent way of covering the queue (maybe a building that looks like a covered train station platform (something similar to Skyrush's Station)). The rendering calls for some trees to be planted in front of the station, so that's going to be great when they grow in.

^ With so many stands, games, and the old restrooms now gone, I hope they will take the opportunity to update the area a little bit. Comet has definitely needed a nicer looking solution for a queue for long time, and with Skyrush construction already making over much of the area anyway, I believe it's not really much of stretch that they budgeted doing a new queue.

I've been talking to the steel worker who took the video below and wanted to share his latest thoughts : Glad u like the vids. I was shooting them for family and friends. The roller coaster fans seem to really like them too which is fine with me. Thats why I made them public. I would say the yellow braces are an accident. I'd guess that Hershey will have them painted blue to match when we are finished as they have painters come in to touch up places that got "dinged" due to shipping/construction.

I've been talking to the steel worker who took the video below and wanted to share his latest thoughts : Glad u like the vids. I was shooting them for family and friends. The roller coaster fans seem to really like them too which is fine with me. Thats why I made them public. I would say the yellow braces are an accident. I'd guess that Hershey will have them painted blue to match when we are finished as they have painters come in to touch up places that got "dinged" due to shipping/construction.

And as I clicked on the link, the chorus of a thousand angels sang their heavenly tones, and all was right in the universe.